Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Valet mode auto present door - - off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a somewhat mehhh experience in Dallas last week while at a convention. Met for dinner at a hotel downtown and had to valet. Since my p100 is still relatively new I checked the app to make sure car had been parked. Saw that both front doors were open. Figured the valet was checking out the fwd, no big deal.

Checked again 5 minutes later to see doors still open. Tried to remote lock doors and said it couldn't since doors were open (would be great for option to close doors). Excused myself and went to valet, walked with valet to car location in the middle of an ungated parking lot on the street (garage under construction). Find my car with both doors WIDE open. Didn't look like anything was missing, but it had only been 20 minutes.

Turns out the valet double clicked the fob twice to make sure it was locked, unknowingly opening both doors. He was noticeably embarrassed and bashful. No big deal on his fault, but I learned to always turn off auto present for valet. Seems it should be a standard setting.

• Informative
Reactions: vandacca
If I understand correctly, turning off Auto Present isn't the issue. Whether off or on, depressing he key once opens the driver's door and the second opens the passenger's. Just tell the valet to close the driver's door and walk away, the Tesla will lock. Most likely he/she was used to most cars.... click and wait for the horn to blink or the lights to flash. I did that when I was a newbie, just to come out of the store and find my doors open. Dah!

If I understand correctly, turning off Auto Present isn't the issue. Whether off or on, depressing he key once opens the driver's door and the second opens the passenger's. Just tell the valet to close the driver's door and walk away, the Tesla will lock. Most likely he/she was used to most cars.... click and wait for the horn to blink or the lights to flash. I did that when I was a newbie, just to come out of the store and find my doors open. Dah!

With the original release of the Model X the click to open doors were different. Unfortunately now the doors are bundled with auto present. You don't have the option to have one but not all on or off. The triple click to shut all doors, double click for each front door, and fwd buttons are all on the same tab as auto present. This was also originally only available in the PUP package, which ticked some off when it was given out for free in an update.

It's be awesome to split these options back out under 3 tabs in the settings screen.