TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Valet Mode - Change PIN? (6.2)

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by markb1, Apr 18, 2015.

1. markb1

markb1 Active Member

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to change the valet PIN after setting it the first time. When I first tried valet mode, it asked me for a PIN, and I entered something simple. Now it no longer asks for a PIN when I turn on valet mode. How do I change the PIN?

Note that I have not forgotten the PIN. I just want to select a different one.

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

IIRC, one of the phone app flavors was supposed to offer that facility. I don't know whether that's a "someday says Tesla" or if any customer actually has that functionality in a working app.

3. IceAge

IceAge Member

On the valet unlock screen, you should have an option to enter your Tesla credentials (same you use for the app). This should erase the PIN and allow you to set another one.

4. markb1

markb1 Active Member

I can't find anything about it in the app on my iPhone 5s. (Version 2.3, installed on 4/7/2015.)

The one thing I haven't tried is the forgotten PIN procedure, which requires typing in my password in the car. My password is long and complicated, so I'm trying to avoid that. Besides, I haven't forgotten the PIN.

So that might work, but still, isn't there a better way? Changing the PIN should only require entering the old PIN.

- - - Updated - - -

So this is the only way? If so, I think that's a massive oversight.

5. PaulusdB

PaulusdB Mayor Gnomus Vintage Limb

There's even a worse effect from this oversight.
    A malicious prankster / valet can easily set valet mode for the first time and leave the owner with a crippled car.

6. PaulusdB

PaulusdB Mayor Gnomus Vintage Limb

Talks about tip size will be very short, that way.

7. spentan

spentan Active Member

You can unlock it via credentials. How is this a worse effect?

And I've noticed valet mode doesn't ask for my pin to lock anymore, only for unlocking

8. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Confirmed, I can enter my Tesla credentials to reset the PIN. But it's a big pain in the butt to enter my password, and I shouldn't have to, if I haven't forgotten my PIN.

- - - Updated - - -

If your password is like mine (long, complicated, and not committed to memory), it's a hassle.

That's true, so the prank only works if you have not set a PIN, or you have forgotten your PIN.

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Can you elaborate? I'm not getting what the issue is with this approach.

10. markb1

markb1 Active Member

I think I sort of explained it in my previous post. My password is big hassle to enter. It's long, complicated, and not committed to memory. I first have to enter a different long and complicated password into the password manager on my phone. Then I have to transcribe my Tesla password from my phone to my car. It's just big hassle.

Why isn't the PIN sufficient for resetting the PIN?

11. spentan

spentan Active Member

I prefer it this way because if someone sees me entering my pin, they can't reset it.

My password is 17 characters with numbers and symbols. So I understand the annoyance, but I don't think it's worth the lack of security.

12. markb1

markb1 Active Member

I don't think there's much harm they can do by resetting your PIN, though. If the attacker already knows your PIN, what do they gain by resetting it, that they don't gain by simply turning off valet mode (which they can already do)? What do you lose if they reset the PIN?

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

My impression is that the intent is that you just remember the PIN and don't reveal it, not that you change it often. As such, the login approach was intended only for recovery in the case you've forgotten the PIN.

In short, I don't think they had your described usage pattern in mind. Definitely a good idea to pass on the suggestion to Tesla that they might want to consider supporting such a usage pattern better.

14. markb1

markb1 Active Member

I will definitely let them know. When I started this thread, I was sure I was missing something, but now it seems not. Thanks.

15. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I don't understand this thread at all.

Why do you need to keep changing your pin?

Requiring your MyTesla credentials to change the PIN is more secure.

If the PIN is required to reset the PIN, and the valet figured out or knew your PIN, then the valet could be a jackass and reset your PIN to something else. Since you don't know that other PIN value, you wouldn't have any way to reset it yourself, and you'd be stuck in Valet mode--not having the PIN to reset your PIN.

16. markb1

markb1 Active Member

What I would like to do is have a PIN for a short time, while my car is being valetted, and then unset it, so I don't have to remember it for long.

I am not at all suggesting that the current reset mechanism should be taken away. The PIN should be sufficient to reset, but the username/password needs to also work, for times when the PIN is forgotten/unknown.

It doesn't hurt security to allow the PIN to be used, as well.

17. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Sorry, but I just don't see why it's so difficult to just remember a sequence of 4 numbers.

18. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Depending on what I set it to, it's hard. Maybe that's just me, but it's definitely true.

Anyway, this thread is premised on remembering the PIN, and how that ought to be sufficient for changing or resetting it.

19. A.G.

A.G. Member

I don't mean to be rude, but I also don't understand this thread. You remember the 4 digits. If you don't, then you enter your My Tesla password to reset it. How is this difficult? I think you may reset the password maybe 10 times (tops) in your life. I think this was by far the most elegant way of designing it. This seems to solve all of your problems...