Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Valet Mode! (confirmed by Elon)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is interesting that there are a lot of "nice to have" features that the Roadster has and the Model S does not. I realize that the coding platform was probably different between the two cars, but nonetheless the overall logic of implementing these features must be similar to both cars. I've had suspicions that the Model S software architecture isn't as robust as it needs to be (due to the types of bugs we are seeing), yet, supposedly, Musk himself was the software programmer who wrote a lot of the code for his first company (Zip2It), so he presumably knows a thing or two about robust software environments. I guess I am a bit frustrated that Model S software updates seem to be taking a longer than expected to come out.

I guess we as early adopters need to be proactive and let the valet attendants know the car will let you know if they drive it above and beyond simply parking it. We also need to email ownership experience and ask for a valet mode, and then let TM prioritize where this feature needs to be in the queue for future updates. We want TM to be as successful as possible, so we're in the growing pain stage and need to be patient, at least for another few days :wink:

Tough situation.... I would worry that if you "warn" them when they take the car from you, they might be offended/pissed, and do something else to it if they are the type of person to take it on a joy-ride to begin with....

I called the country club where the event was held. The manager was incredulous and said it was not their normal valet vendor. He gave me their number and apologized to the point of making me almost uncomfortable.

Not sure I feel better but next time I'm going to make a scene on the scene. I'm just not generally that guy.

I'd like to see a function that alerts the driver via the Android/iPhone app that the car is moving as well as the capability to provide information to the owner about route/speed history. If Tesla can track this, it'd be nice if we could. I'd also like to see a PIN for the settings on the Model S, particularly one required to turn on/off the remote app.

Wouldn't have stopped the joyriding, but you would have known exactly what had taken place...

It would also be cool if there was a immobilizing function in the app. Imagine the suprised valet when he hits the freeway and punches it and the car tells him "shutting down in 15s, pull over". Have him explain that to his boss :)

That reminds me. The first thing the Dania Beach service center did when they pulled my car around to the back was to TURN OFF remote access. I thought that a bit strange.

I had mine serviced a few weeks ago at the Chicago center; they did not turn remote access off. When the service rep took it out for a spin to test the alignment, I could see exactly where it was going.

+1. i've emailed ownership about this too.

i'm in la, lots of valet, lots of fancy cars, so my experience has been ok basically. they are fairly professional in general here and know better than to joy ride. many of them have let me park my self which is the best solution, other than that what i've found is after i pull up my first question is always 'do you know this car, have you driven it?' they always say yes, and most of the time they haven't, so when i see them not knowing where to 'put the key' i give them the little primer: no ignition, step on brake, little lever for drive reverse and park. almost always however they bring it back and the car is in park by setting the parking brake in the controls page not by pressing the end of the stalk, which i always show them. so, there's a learning curve here, soon they will be more familiar and it'll be fine. but i'd really really like valet mode: limit torque, limit speed and lockout all controls pages except a valet instruction mode page that says how to use the drive mode stalk, including the park button, and don't leave keys in car and power limited etc....

seems to me this can't be that complicated to implement. but i'm sure it's not first on tm's current punch list.... waiting.

You have got to be kidding me. Its a standing joke. If you want someone to run the piss out of your car, just hand the keys to the valet. Those guys live for these things.

The only opportunity you have is if they agree to park it up front (and give you back your key). Without that, all bets are off.

That reminds me. The first thing the Dania Beach service center did when they pulled my car around to the back was to TURN OFF remote access. I thought that a bit strange.

This is now part of standard procedure everywhere. Not sure if it's related, but it started after someone on this forum noticed a service person bringing the car home overnight (not at Dania Beach).

$20 will usually allow you to park it yourself at valets. I joke to my friends that the car is costing me more in tips than I'm saving in gas! (But pays for itself in attention)

Had the same concerns Saturday night drove to San Francisco for dinner and was going to self park but decided to let the valet do it. I drove up and got out asked the valet if he has seen this car before and he proceeded to explain that he has parked many. I started to do the quick let me explain and he let me go through it and then asked if he could use the key to lock and told me how it was done. So I felt comfortable with that, came out after dinner and the car was parked in front. Never took it to the parking lot. Gave him a tip and went on my way.

@dtich - After you've requested self-park and they say no, have you asked to ride along? What is their argument for saying 'no' in this case?

I've had a hotel valet refuse to let me drive or tag along. They said the parking was off-site a couple of blocks away so they couldn't accommodate me. I told them I couldn't accommodate them driving my Roadster, so could they please give me directions to the closest pay lot. They said there was one a block away so I started climbing into the car. That's when they relented and told me I could park overnight in one of their valet spots.

There was even a 110V plug there, so I got a little juice!

The next day I was told the Roadster was providing a lot of entertainment for their other guests. People were constantly asking them about it, and many pictures were taken. LOL.

This is now part of standard procedure everywhere. Not sure if it's related, but it started after someone on this forum noticed a service person bringing the car home overnight (not at Dania Beach).

$20 will usually allow you to park it yourself at valets. I joke to my friends that the car is costing me more in tips than I'm saving in gas! (But pays for itself in attention)

I am right there with you...I have been tipping heavy at the valet-requires stops to just self-park in the exotic showcase spots in front of venues. I expect to be able to do that for the rest of the year until there are more on the road.

Until an official mode is added, you can keep the browser open with an obvious warning for the driver. Something like:
38012064.jpg

OT .. but not much .. Along the lines of the quote ... Dania SC had my car for 3 days and returned it with 242 (full standard charge)...

Glanced over to the energy usage and it was OFF THE FREAKIN CHART!!!!!

So, they either did a range charge and burned off some energy ... or someone had a good time at the expense of my tires ....

There is an older thread with lots of great comments and suggestions regarding valet mode. I agree, it's something we need and since it can be completely software controlled, there are many options available. Fortunately, the few times I've valeted (is that a word?) the Model S, they either let ME park it or only moved it a few feet so it was proudly displayed up front :)