Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Valet Mode! (confirmed by Elon)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The valet at my country club took my Model S for a joy ride. I caught him on the iPhone app. I showed the club manager the criminal activity (if a valet takes your car off the premises, it is by legal definition theft). The manager either did not care or did not believe the iPhone. I tendered my resignation from the country club the next day.

My advice for valeting is one of two things:
1) Ask the valet if you can park your Model S in front (many establishments prefer to have attractive cars in front).
2) Do not let any valet drive your Model S.

I know too many valet-gone-wrong stories. I was foolish to let a valet drive my car. Learn from my mistake.

Last edited:
OT .. but not much .. Along the lines of the quote ... Dania SC had my car for 3 days and returned it with 242 (full standard charge)...

Glanced over to the energy usage and it was OFF THE FREAKIN CHART!!!!!

So, they either did a range charge and burned off some energy ... or someone had a good time at the expense of my tires ....

Could it have anything to do with what you had it in for? Perhaps it was necessary for the mechanic to test a high-stress moment? Just throwing it out there, you'd think employees would have plenty of opportunities to joyride Tesla owned cars...

I noticed my energy usage chart was also maxed out when I brought my car in for tinting/ppf. I know the owner of the detail place took it for a little drive, but I suspect the energy usage may look skewed because the folks working on the car may have had the car 'on' for a while? Wouldn't the car think the watts per mile are huge, as it was all watts and no miles?

Valet Mode Confirmed By Elon

From a tweet about a half hour ago. Go forth and discuss how exactly we think it's going to work!
w rHM0SEjDiywAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
elonmusk
@BeauAthia yep. Should have valet mode uploaded at some point in coming months.
5/24/13 6:47 PM

IMO I don't think all of you are seeing "valets taking your car for a spin". Unless you catch them doing it on the iphone app, or you specifically noted your mileage before and after valet, all of you are probably seeing the normal battery heating/cooling system that starts as soon as you enter the car. Every single time I get in my car and drive 100 feet I immediately get a huge 900Wh spike in energy. EVERY TIME. THIS IS NORMAL, EXPECTED, AND IT'S THE BATTERY COOLANT SYSTEM. Happens in cold weather. Happens in warm weather. Doesn't matter. So every single time a valet drives a couple feet to bring my car to me, I expect to see a huge 900+Wh spike. They are not taking your car for a spin or driving it harshly.

IMO I don't think all of you are seeing "valets taking your car for a spin". Unless you catch them doing it on the iphone app, or you specifically noted your mileage before and after valet, all of you are probably seeing the normal battery heating/cooling system that starts as soon as you enter the car. Every single time I get in my car and drive 100 feet I immediately get a huge 900Wh spike in energy. EVERY TIME. THIS IS NORMAL, EXPECTED, AND IT'S THE BATTERY COOLANT SYSTEM. Happens in cold weather. Happens in warm weather. Doesn't matter. So every single time a valet drives a couple feet to bring my car to me, I expect to see a huge 900+Wh spike. They are not taking your car for a spin or driving it harshly.

This may be occurring in the P85, but it does NOT happen in my S85. In the warmer weather, I don't get any bump, but in the colder weather and a cold battery it always happened.

This may be occurring in the P85, but it does NOT happen in my S85. In the warmer weather, I don't get any bump, but in the colder weather and a cold battery it always happened.
May be a P85 issue; I have no data points for other vehicles. But it's definitely the case that the reported power consumption between my garage and the stop sign on my street is usually over 800 Wh/mi. Even if I drove 130 mph instantaneously after shifting out of Park, I couldn't actually trigger that kind of consumption just from propulsion.

May be a P85 issue; I have no data points for other vehicles. But it's definitely the case that the reported power consumption between my garage and the stop sign on my street is usually over 800 Wh/mi. Even if I drove 130 mph instantaneously after shifting out of Park, I couldn't actually trigger that kind of consumption just from propulsion.

Doesn't happen with my p85. Though I've only had it for a couple weeks and it has been warm.

I did, watched them leave the parking structure with the car. All the Valet parting is in the structure, none outside. And when I came out to get the car, it was in the first spot right in front of the valet booth. While I wasn't the happiest they did it, they took a initiative, they said they didnt let any one else go near the thing haha...