Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Valet Mode! (confirmed by Elon)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe the only thing to do is when you hand them the car talk about how cool you think the car is and show them the mobile app and say 'this is amazing. You can track where someone goes, how fast and everything. Great for watching the kids when they go out for a drive'.

When I spoke to the manager he basically admitted it was an ongoing problem with the valet company.

So why does he employ them? I'm no law expert but I think that can also be reported as theft - just because they put the cars back doesn't excuse the crime. If someone took money from your bank account but later put the same amount back minus a few cents would you report it to law enforcement?

This may be occurring in the P85, but it does NOT happen in my S85. In the warmer weather, I don't get any bump, but in the colder weather and a cold battery it always happened.

Mea Culpa.

I have had my energy window in either the 15 or 30 miles view.
I checked it out in the 5 mile view today and saw that there was a spike to 900+ (very briefly).

seems like the tweet has been deleted...

Maybe GeorgeB made a phone call... :)

- - - Updated - - -

Mea Culpa.

I have had my energy window in either the 15 or 30 miles view.
I checked it out in the 5 mile view today and saw that there was a spike to 900+ (very briefly).

I have never seen this phenomenon either in my S85, but also have never used the 5 mile window. Will give it a try.

From a tweet about a half hour ago. Go forth and discuss how exactly we think it's going to work!
w rHM0SEjDiywAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
elonmusk
@BeauAthia yep. Should have valet mode uploaded at some point in coming months.
5/24/13 6:47 PM

Any confirmation on this? I really would like this feature as well.

I just had this happen to me. I left the car with a detailer for the day.
I didn't even consider it was taken for a ride when I picked it up. Yet the evidence became clear when I was driving home ...

A more general feature that allowed a max speed setting would be great to have with teenage kids as well. Didn't they have something like this for the test drives?

My usage would be to set the maximum speed to 35 for Valet and - when my kids get to that age - maximum speed to perhaps 55 for kids. I think maximum acceleration would be a better option but that might be too difficult to implement.

Last edited:
I am not a big fan of using valets, but Tesla needs needs a 'Valet Mode.'

Let's come up with a list of features that we'd like included. Suggestions:

1. A prominent message on the 17" screen that warns the valet that the MS is constantly monitored, but also provides instructions on operating the car (shift, park, lock, etc).
2. Disable non-essential functions (radio, Internet searches, pano roof closed, windows closed, etc).
3. Enable a "governor" that severely limits acceleration and top speed.
4. Enable a function that will text the owner if the vehicle travels more than 1/10 mile.
5. When "in" valet mode, have the nav system map the route of the MS and keep the route displayed on the screen until valet mode is turned off by the owner.
6. Give the valet a way to contact you in the event that there is a problem with the MS.

We might want tabs on a valet mode screen for the 1) warning, 2) operating instructions and 3) the route traveled by the valet with notation of the top speed and acceleration rate. When the MS is in Drive, the route and top speed should appear on he screen.

haven't dug through the whole thread - but the other use of a valet type mode is for kids/lending the car out. i would love to limit the acceleration of the vehicle. could also allow something like a double tap of the accelerator to deactivate it, if you needed the extra oomph.

In some cases, the parking areas where valets park cars aren't entirely close to the location where the valet is working.
Exactly what I was thinking. In Europe, some valets park blocks away. I did entertain the thought of the valet limping along at a 15 mph limit though :)
On the other hand, haveing a user selectable speed woud be the most flexible since there are situations the person you leave the keys with should not be exceeding 5 mph.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not a big fan of using valets, but Tesla needs needs a 'Valet Mode.'

Let's come up with a list of features that we'd like included. Suggestions:

1. A prominent message on the 17" screen that warns the valet that the MS is constantly monitored, but also provides instructions on operating the car (shift, park, lock, etc).
2. Disable non-essential functions (radio, Internet searches, pano roof closed, windows closed, etc).
3. Enable a "governor" that severely limits acceleration and top speed.
4. Enable a function that will text the owner if the vehicle travels more than 1/10 mile.
5. When "in" valet mode, have the nav system map the route of the MS and keep the route displayed on the screen until valet mode is turned off by the owner.
6. Give the valet a way to contact you in the event that there is a problem with the MS.

We might want tabs on a valet mode screen for the 1) warning, 2) operating instructions and 3) the route traveled by the valet with notation of the top speed and acceleration rate. When the MS is in Drive, the route and top speed should appear on he screen.

Mark - great list
The only thing I'd add is a passcode tab to lock/unlock the screen. Prior to selecting lock the user sets options for texting, speed/accelerator governor, etc. Once locked, only the main screen with three tabs should show 1) warning and operating instructions, 2) warning and route traveled, and 3) unlock passcode entry.

I'm sure Tesla would just add a Valet mode on the settings screen with a four digit pin, no need to carry an additional fob. I already look on the app til my car is parked and when they are retrieving it so not only do I know when to get up from my seat, but also I can monitor their speeds. I usually show the drivers I can see how fast they're going. They think it's cool, it gives them an idea that I know what speed they're going, and word travels among these valets so they know not to abuse the car (eventually).