Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Valet mode still shows GPS places

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I was planning on bringing my Model S to a local kids event with fun and interesting vehicles, thought it might be a good way to help give the next generation some exposure to electric vehicles (since the majority will probably be driving them by the time they have their licenses....my opinion, not fact).

In prepping, I gave Valet mode a shot for the first time and noticed that while it greys out the PLACES button in the maps interface, tapping the big search bar immediately brings up a list of my GPS bookmarks including my home address. Tried a hard reset to make sure that wasn't the issue. Is this just an interface thing that slipped through the cracks when the UI was updated? It seems to completely defeat one of the main purposes of Valet mode, keeping your personal information private from anyone tapping around the screen.

Slightly related, does anyone have any tricks for keeping people from engaging Drive? It sounds like any sort of showroom mode only exists with the actual showroom vehicles. I figure that plugging it in if possible is my best bet, as it obviously won't go into Drive if it's plugged in. Failing that, just not allowing anyone to sit in the Driver's seat would be the other option, but where's the fun in that? I suppose I could leave the fob out of range too, but I was hoping to keep everything powered up and looking nice.

I think the search access to bookmarks is a bug. Not much can be done until they fix it, but for sure contact Tesla and let them know.

Best bet is to leave the fob away from the car. The screen will stay powered up as long as someone touches it once every 30 minutes or so (likely), but it will stop drive. You can also plug the UMC into the port, even though it's not plugged into any outlet. The interlock will still detect the cord and inhibit taking the car out of park.

• Helpful
Reactions: WhiteCap and GSP
Great stuff! I'm going in for my annual service next week so I'll be sure to have the tech log the bug (maybe it's already fixed in 8.0?). I had called to ask them about the issue, and he seemed pretty surprised that location info was still accessible.