TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Valet Mode

Discussion in 'Model S' started by mmh, Sep 26, 2014.

1. mmh

mmh Member

2. LuvMyS

LuvMyS Member

WOW, that's so cool! Yea I can't believe we don't have a valet mode. Really hoped it would make it into 6.0 now who knows how long we'll have to wait! At least let us lock the glove box, limit the speed, keep them from turning off Mobile Access and alert us if it is driven more than a certain # feet.

+1 SOOOOOO NEEDED!!! Come on Tesla!!!! Get with it!

3. Dchint

Dchint Member

True...but I think GM should of paid attention to other things on the 2015 Corvette than valet mode...

GM issues stop sales for two Corvette defects | The Detroit News

Uh....yeah....I'll stick with my non-valet mode Model S for now....although I agree valet mode would be nice...

4. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

Interestingly, the iPhone app has in icon called valet for the side menu (along with a 'switch', 'sleep', 'roadside', 'contact') so that may be a hint it's in the works.

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I have V2 of the iPhone app (and my S is on V6) and I do not see the functions you describe.

6. Dchint

Dchint Member

Yes. What are these mysterious icons that you speak of? Maybe a screenshot would help?

7. smd

smd Member

Is this something you dreamed up during REM sleep?

8. mhpr262

mhpr262 Member

Not that I would ever let anybody else drive my Tesla if I had one, but I seriously cant understand why this is taking so long? It is one of the oldest and most often voiced requests and it should be super easy to implement with some software.

Limit the max amps the inverter pushes through the motor and the max revs so the car doesn't go faster than say 20mph and accelerates like a VW Bug. Does anybody have an idea what the issue is?

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Picture? Thanks.

10. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Really? Where? No such thing in my iPhone app.

11. gmtom1

gmtom1 Member

This might delay our valet mode a bit.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/27/corvette-valet-mode-felony/

Covette's valet mode records the audio in the cabin. I don't recall if recording audio was discussed as part of the MS' valet feature, but I'm sure this news must give the folks at TM something to think about.

12. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

What do you know... he's right! It's hidden in the app, but the assets for it are there, here's a bitmap screenshot (it didn't feel right posting the actual asset):
    Screen Shot 2014-09-27 at 3.33.05 PM.png
    As a note, the assets in the iPhone app are fascinating. There's a ton of old stuff in there. You can see all kinds of early layouts, and imagery going back all the way to Model S Beta 1.

The icons for the side menu are: Home (Main Controls), Notifications, Password, Roadside, Settings, Sign Out, Sleep, Switch, and Valet.

13. Dchint

Dchint Member

Ummmm.....translation? For those of us that are not developers and don't possess SDK...

14. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

The Tesla app has a ton of interesting but unused images embedded in it. Among them were the mentioned Valet and Roadside icons. :)

15. Dchint

Dchint Member

Any screenshots? That bitmap screenshot.....I'm not seeing anything...

16. artsci

artsci Sponsor

This valet mode has one major flaw -- it doesn't limit the speed so some goofball can take it out on the road speed to his or her delight. When it comes, Tesla's valet mode will be far superior, I'm sure. We just have to be patient. I'm sure it's coming.

17. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Sounds like a browser or website issue. It's just a black and white image of a little valet in a hat and bow tie. Not much to look at.

18. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Not in my V2 iPhone app. I have: Main Controls, Notifications, Calendar, Sign Out.

That's all.

19. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

These are assets in the application resources; they do not show up on your phone screen yet. Just like the icons for notifications and calendar that didn't show up in the app until you got version 6 on your Tesla. Once the valet functions and roadside assistance functions are enabled on your Tesla, it appears the app at least has the icon resources ready for these functions.

20. LuvMyS

LuvMyS Member

Thanks for the info, it is great to know that they are at least working on it in some fashion. I agree, this is something they should have focused on priority vs. releasing the Calendar app in 6.0 This is a very needed and basic feature!