Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Valet Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
corvette's audio recording feature in the valet mode is illegal is almost every state. they have to recall all the corvettes now to remove this feature hahaha wow, that speaks to the intellect at GM not realizing that recording audio without consent is illegal , seems like common sense to me.

corvette's audio recording feature in the valet mode is illegal is almost every state. they have to recall all the corvettes now to remove this feature hahaha wow, that speaks to the intellect at GM not realizing that recording audio without consent is illegal , seems like common sense to me.

So now, who's smarter - Tesla or GM/Corvette? Let's just let the big dog run and bark at its own pace.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I first read the post that mentioned it recorded sound. Very illegal! (Thanks to the politicians, who don't want to be recorded without their knowledge)

Also, Corvette had a valet mode in the ZR1, which came out in 1991, so this is not a new concept. (although I'm sure the application is different today)

This valet mode has one major flaw -- it doesn't limit the speed so some goofball can take it out on the road speed to his or her delight. When it comes, Tesla's valet mode will be far superior, I'm sure. We just have to be patient. I'm sure it's coming.

I would take any form of valet mode for now, superior or not. While I want many of the features suggested here and in other threads, I would be okay with a simpler version first, and build on it with future updates. Perhaps just lock the glove box and the screen to start. The biggest weakness so far is the ability of any driver to turn off remote access.

I would think that governing the acceleration and speed could be controversial. Valets around here can park a few blocks away. What if they need to accelerate to avoid a collision. Sure, limiting it partially so that the "fun" is taken out of it, but still safe is an option. Certainly, a Valet does not need to go faster than 50 mph.

assets in resource files... makes software development sound so concrete... tee hee. So Apple.

Anyway, Tesla valet mode can easily satisfy all this legal stuff.. Here's my proposal:

On the driver LCD display a message "You are being video recorded with sound."
Under that, show an array of 3 big icons "Reverse" "Park" "Drive"... and
under that driver instruction "Use foot on brakes and move gear selector to engage."
Show no speedometer or anything else. Limit speed and torque to ..some low values.

Center screen dark, non responsive to touch.
Maybe one more message "Car movement is monitored and recorded."

Done.

Anyway, Tesla valet mode can easily satisfy all this legal stuff.. Here's my proposal:

On the driver LCD display a message "You are being video recorded with sound."
Under that, show an array of 3 big icons "Reverse" "Park" "Drive"... and
under that driver instruction "Use foot on brakes and move gear selector to engage."
Show no speedometer or anything else. Limit speed and torque to ..some low values.

Actually most if not all state's laws are "cannot be recorded WITHOUT CONSENT". Displaying a warning message is not receiving their consent. What Tesla can do is completely disable the car and display a pop up with this information along with a checkbox that they give consent and an signature field where they draw their digital sig. Then they can be recorded. If they don't do this then they can't valet the car, period. That should be enough to abide by the law. Well, unless they claim they can't read English. I guess the interface could ask language first , then upon their choosing language display the info with checkbox and sig field.

I think I'm not alone when I say, I don't care about audio or video recording. I want the features mentioned in the other various "Valet Mode" threads, including but not limited to:
Locked glove box, locked frunk, pin required to disable remote access, acceleration limits and max speed limits. If a valet is driving my car, I want it to drive like a Mitsubishi i-Miev with a 13 second 0-60.

Other features that would be great, text message if the car moves outside a 2 mile radius of where valet model was set, alert if the battery drains more than a set number of RM. a GPX GPS log of the car's locations from the time Valet mode is enable until it is disabled.

As much as possible, I try to avoid valeting, but some places it's just not possible, e.g. many Vegas hotels on the strip.

I may be paranoid, but last time I had to valet my car, I threw an old Garmin GPS60Cx in the frunk and left it on. It nicely recorded where the car was driven and how fast. Providing a nice audit-able log. Still, I'd like to have these features built in as the car is fully capable of doing it without any additional hardware.

In Arizona only one party needs to be aware of the recording taking place, i.e., the owner of the vehicle. I wonder if that would allow recording in the car if the owner isn't in the car with the valet?

I really like scottm's idea. Dumb down the entire system so it's only for go, stop, reverse. Less temptation is a good thing.