TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Valet Parker Wrecks $450,000 Ferrari After Mistaking Accelerator for Brake

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by notAmeenPerson, Apr 8, 2015.

1. notAmeenPerson

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

That's one heck of a mistake. Not sure what it has to do with trusting Tesla's valet mode though. It won't stop mistakes from happening, but if they do happen, it may lessen the intensity of a situation like this since it reduces power. Again though, I'd more ask how it affects your trust in valets in general.

3. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Why would I trust something that limits speed to 70mph/110kph? Valet mode should limit speed to 15mph/20kph.

I can see an "Offspring mode", or an "In-laws Mode", or something equally snarky, for which 70mph might be fine. But TM has let me down with that 70mph limit.

4. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

valet-mode should park itself with no attendant necessary.

5. Ugliest1

Ugliest1 S85: "Sparky"

Totally agree. And limit acceleration to 20 kW.

6. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

If this incident had happened to a Tesla, we would be hearing how the brake pedal and accelerator are too close together, etc.
    I agree valet mode should be reduced to a much lower speed.

7. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Yes. We should have David Nolan write an article about that.

8. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Well, once the anti-collision system is in place (Real Soon Now), presumably the car would have stopped itself.

9. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

If you believe the interpretation the article put on it, the valet mostly got into trouble because there was so much power/torque available. A Valet mode that limited acceleration to 60 kW (or 20 like another post suggested) would quite effectively prevent that sort of problem. Collision avoidance braking might also help...

10. TTT

TTT Member

I can see why Tesla limited the speed to only 70mph, so that if they pick up the car they can drive at freeway speeds. I personally wouldn't set valet mode if Tesla picked my car up. This is a good reason to have the speed limit adjustable in valet mode. Maybe even have multiple settings as are available for driver profiles. I would then create a few profiles, Valet-Tesla, Valet-Parking, and Family Test Drive

11. eco5280

eco5280 Member

I have never and will never use a valet. I would rather park 1/4 mile away and walk then let someone sit in and drive my car. I don't even want service techs touching it but that's inevitable :biggrin:

12. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Sometimes, valet parking means driving your car on city streets over to a lot somewhere.
    - Really need three modes: private lot valet, city street valet, I do not trust my friend/relative valet