Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Valet Parking at a Hotel with destination charging: pay per night or as part of the room rate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Galve2000

May 20, 2013
NYC
I'm planning a trip to Montreal in a few weeks and I will be driving up with my Model S. I am considering only hotels with Destination Chargers because I want to have a "full tank" when I leave the hotel. I'm most likely going to stay at the Ritz-Carlton.

but I am more interested in what is "best practice" when staying at a hotel with a car. do I pay the per day rate separately, or do I book a room rate that includes the parking built in. generally when valet parking is included in the room rate you have free in and out privileges. sometimes -- when you pay a per night fee to park -- you don't get free in and out privileges.

Also, I believe ) that if you book a room+park room rate, it will cover your entire stay where as if you pay a separate daily parking fee, you may get charged a partial day if you arrive early on the arrival day and the depart late on the departure day. (but am not really sure how it works)

I tried googling about this, but the most interesting feedback I got was a discussion on TripAdvisor on weather the valets at hotel parking garages should be tipped or not. Before I got my Model S I rarely travelled anywhere with my car so I never had to worry about parking fees. now the car comes with me everywhere so I have to contend with these issues.

BTW -- if it matters -- I probably wont be driving around in Montreal and the car will simply be staying in the hotel lot for the 3-4 days that I will be in Montreal.

your feedback and advice is greatly appreciated.

BTW -- if it matters -- I probably wont be driving around in Montreal and the car will simply be staying in the hotel lot for the 3-4 days that I will be in Montreal.
If you don't really plan on driving the car when you're there, why don't you just supercharge at the nearest location before you head back? Heck, even level 1 or 2 charging would suffice if you let the car be connected for the duration of your stay.

Many city hotels sub out the valet parking to other vendors and require a separate fee for the parking regardless of the being any fees for use of the charger. Many suburban hotels have free self park and the majority of those offer complimentary charging to their guests however a few might impose fees to charge. The only way to know what the policy is wherever you might choose to visit is to call the property directly

I usually wait and when arriving ask them where the Tesla chargers are. I find they often waive the parking fee for the EV spaces. In fact, we were recently in Osoyoos where the Watermark hotel has HPWC chargers. I was using a public one across the street, and only getting 32 amps, so my wife went into the hotel and asked to use their Tesla chargers. My wife then called me over, I drove in the garage, parked and charged with the assistance of the bell boy, then left to walk around the town with my wife. I asked if she told them that we were not staying at the hotel and she said they never asked.

Reactions: BrokerDon
I usually wait and when arriving ask them where the Tesla chargers are. I find they often waive the parking fee for the EV spaces. In fact, we were recently in Osoyoos where the Watermark hotel has HPWC chargers. I was using a public one across the street, and only getting 32 amps, so my wife went into the hotel and asked to use their Tesla chargers. My wife then called me over, I drove in the garage, parked and charged with the assistance of the bell boy, then left to walk around the town with my wife. I asked if she told them that we were not staying at the hotel and she said they never asked.
the people seem to be very accommodating in that major metropolis.:rolleyes:
in all seriousness, it is in the larger cities is where you'll run into situations where you will need to pay for hotel parking, ICE or tesla.

the people seem to be very accommodating in that major metropolis.:rolleyes:

I've been to many "major metropolis" in my Tesla and had to find parking and charging at hotels. I find the best approach is in person. Then again, I don't bark at, and disagree with, everyone I meet so it's likely very different for you. I also doubt you have ever been to Osoyoos the summer and tried to find parking, especially right in town, at the major hotel, where you can't even book a room in the summer. But you seem to know everything about everything -- or at least think you do. When I charged in Osoyoos, they had to bring the staff member out who parked in the EV parking so we could park there because the parking lot was full. I've never had that in the many "major metropolis" with Tesla charging that I stayed at.

in all seriousness, it is in the larger cities is where you'll run into situations where you will need to pay for hotel parking, ICE or tesla.

That's not the issue. Please try to stay focused. The OP asked:

I am more interested in what is "best practice" when staying at a hotel with a car. do I pay the per day rate separately, or do I book a room rate that includes the parking built in. generally when valet parking is included in the room rate you have free in and out privileges. sometimes -- when you pay a per night fee to park -- you don't get free in and out privileges.

I find it best to deal with the EV charging situation in person whether in big cities or small towns -- there's really no difference in my travels. I first make sure they have HPWCs and I make sure at least one will be available during my stay. Then I leave the rest to deal with in person. If you're friendly and treat people with respect, you will find that you get treated that way back. Plus, some people like to see your Tesla, and talk about your journey in it, how far it will take you, etc. and sometimes the fee doesn't even become an issue because the EV spots are separate spaces and hotels have great discretion when it comes to parking.

Last edited:
Each destination charing location sets their own rules since they re paying for the electricity. If you click on the site on the Tesla Find Us map, it will usually tell you what the rules are. I pretty much try to stay exclusively at hotels with destination charging and I have yet to be billed separately at any location--its usually rolled into the room rate of the overnight parking fee. I do find its helpful to call them ahead of time to let them know you are planning to take advantage of destination charging and to reinforce that they are getting my business because of the charger.

Each destination charing location sets their own rules since they re paying for the electricity. If you click on the site on the Tesla Find Us map, it will usually tell you what the rules are. I pretty much try to stay exclusively at hotels with destination charging and I have yet to be billed separately at any location--its usually rolled into the room rate of the overnight parking fee.
I'll ask you the same question, how many of the hotels that you used the chargers in are in major cities?

I responded to that arrogant, condescending reply privately

Ha! You don't even realize when you write that that you are saying here exactly what you said to me privately except that you added in your PM to me:

"this just shows you are really just naive and clueless about parking at hotels in big cities."

No facts -- just baseless attacks. I wouldn't expect anything else from you.

I have no doubt I've stayed in far more hotels with destination chargers in the 4 years I've owned my Tesla than you. From Seattle to San Fran, LA, Las Vegas, and pretty much every major city on the West coast.

Ha! You don't even realize when you write that that you are saying here exactly what you said to me privately except that you added in your PM to me:

"this just shows you are really just naive and clueless about parking at hotels in big cities."

No facts -- just baseless attacks. I wouldn't expect anything else from you.
no facts? I laid out the facts, you ignored them. there is not one major hotel in a major city that gives parking for free regardless of charging or not and most of the hotels sub contract the valet parking to others who will charge a separate fee. in podunk resort areas and road side motels the situation is very different.

Reactions: Galve2000
no facts? I laid out the facts, you ignored them. there is not one major hotel in a major city that gives parking for free regardless of charging or not and most of the hotels sub contract the valet parking to others who will charge a separate fee. in podunk resort areas and road side motels the situation is very different.

Now that's funny but I can see it happening to you. I've stayed at major hotels where EV parking fees were waived as I'm sure many others here have. I do agree that it's getting more rare -- in the past when EV's were more of a novelty there was a better chance of not paying than today. But again you miss the issue always trying to bark at other people's points and raining on parades -- two things you do so well. Once again, however, the issue is:

I am more interested in what is "best practice" when staying at a hotel with a car. do I pay the per day rate separately, or do I book a room rate that includes the parking built in.

My advice is to make sure there will be a free HPWC and deal with parking fees later -- there's a chance it will be free that way, especially in Montreal where he's heading.

Good luck OP and let us know how your trip goes, especially in relation to parking and charging.

Now that's funny but I can see it happening to you. I've stayed at major hotels where EV parking fees were waived as I'm sure many others here have. I do agree that it's getting more rare -- in the past when EV's were more of a novelty there was a better chance of not paying than today. But again you miss the issue always trying to bark at other people's points and raining on parades -- two things you do so well. Once again, however, the issue is:

My advice is to make sure there will be a free HPWC and deal with parking later -- there's a chance it will be free that way, especially in Montreal where he's heading.

Good luck OP and let us know how your trip goes, especially in relation to parking and charging.
my goodness, how dense can you be? in montreal and in all larger cities hotels charge for parking regardless of the car being an ICE or an EV and those hotels usually subcontracting the valet parking to others and charge you for the parking in addition to the room. that parking fee in big cities where EVERYONE in the hotel who parks at the hotel PAYS for that parking.
and btw using the same insult again is really making you tedious

my goodness, how dense can you be? in montreal and in all larger cities hotels charge for parking regardless of the car being an ICE or an EV

That's utter nonsense. You speak as if you've been to every major hotel and as if every major hotel uses outside valet parking. Of course, if the hotel has contracted out the parking you will pay but there's a ton of major hotels that have EV spaces on site and the parking people who control them sometimes make exceptions for EVs when it comes to the parking fees. Also, you're much more likely to find destination chargers at hotels that do not contract out the parking.

I'm certain we will soon hear from people other than me who have had parking fees waived in major cities at major hotels. But again, that's not the issue. This is good advice in relation to the issue:

I pretty much try to stay exclusively at hotels with destination charging and I have yet to be billed separately at any location--its usually rolled into the room rate of the overnight parking fee. I do find its helpful to call them ahead of time to let them know you are planning to take advantage of destination charging and to reinforce that they are getting my business because of the charger.

That's utter nonsense. You speak as if you've been to every major hotel and as if every major hotel uses outside valet parking. Of course, if the hotel has contracted out the parking you will pay but there's a ton of major hotels that have EV spaces on site and the parking people who control them sometimes make exceptions for EVs when it comes to the parking fees. Also, you're much more likely to find destination chargers at hotels that do not contract out the parking.
:
really? can you name one hotel in any major city that has tons of parking(excepting las vegas)

If staying the the downtown areas of those cities you more than likely will need to pay to park at your hotel. Use this site to locate chargers www.plugshare.com

Either you are I are missing the point of this thread. If I am searching out hotels with destination charging, why would I then take time out of my day to go hang out at a Plugshare when I will be paying to park my car at the hotel anyway?