Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Valet Parking at a Hotel with destination charging: pay per night or as part of the room rate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Either you are I are missing the point of this thread. If I am searching out hotels with destination charging, why would I then take time out of my day to go hang out at a Plugshare when I will be paying to park my car at the hotel anyway?
plugshare could aid you in your search for a hotel with a charger. for overnight charging a tesla destination charger isn't mandatory most L2 chargers can get you charged overnight. limiting yourself to tesla destination chargers makes finding a suitable hotel harder.

My advice is to make sure there will be a free HPWC and deal with parking fees later -- there's a chance it will be free that way, especially in Montreal where he's heading.

I don't know how this discussion took such a bizarre turn and 20 replies so far my question wasn't really answered. to be clear: I am not looking for free parking (not that it wouldn't be nice, but I just don't have that expectation) -- so lets just focus the discussion to "if you have to pay to park" (and you get to use the destination charger while you park) is it better to get the Room and Park rate or the discounted rate and then pay for parking separately?

I was kind of hoping for responses like "I always pay separately for parking b/c I find that when I bundle the parking with the room rate I am less likely to be offered room upgrade."

I guess in the end its simple math and there's no secret to it.

In general I find the places where you have to pay to park are very walkable and/or have decent public transportation or taxi systems. I find I tend to leave my Model S in the garage throughout my entire stay. still heading off on my journey home with a "full tank" has a big convenience value to me and I don't mind paying for this convenience.

my experience is that if you can find a parking garage with a charger that in close by to wherever you'll be staying that it more than likely would be less expensive to self park and walk a bit than it would be to utilize the hotel's parking. for example on a recent visit to chicago the hotel parking was almost $75 per night and a block away I could park for $52 a night and use the chargepoint L2 units at no costs. the answer to your question is a between cost or convenience, are you willing to walk a block or two to save $20 or do want to pull up to the door and let the valet do the walking?
for me I'd rather not allow someone else to park the car and to plug it in properly, I don't mind the time lost to parking it myself and I am happy saving $20+, everyone has different tolerances

Last edited: