Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Valet pushed my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I left my car in a parking garage in valet mode and handed the attendant the key card. After I left he apparently put the key card in the car but not on the center console. The car locked itself with the key card in it. Instead of contacting me they pushed the car out off to the side. From the fingerprints all over my car I would guess back and forth a few times. The car was in park but the emergency brake was not engaged. Do you think this would cause any damage to the motors?

I left my car in a parking garage in valet mode and handed the attendant the key card. After I left he apparently put the key card in the car but not on the center console. The car locked itself with the key card in it. Instead of contacting me they pushed the car out off to the side. From the fingerprints all over my car I would guess back and forth a few times. The car was in park but the emergency brake was not engaged. Do you think this would cause any damage to the motors?

The wheels dont roll in park (whether the parking brake is on or not), so if they did "push it" it wasnt with the wheels turning. Perhaps they put it on those car dolly things? Something like these perhaps?

I would imagine valet companies have to move cars multiple ways. To the original question, its unlikely it "damaged the motors" because the wheels would not roll if it was in park.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Good observation...yes valets probably have ways to move cars if they can't find the keys or battery dies, etc, but would you be able to get a tesla up on those dollies while it is in Park? Not sure how they work...

I think you have to jack up each wheel to use them, if so, I would bet they didn't use proper jack pads. May want to check undercarriage.

Ugh. Valet parking is the worst. I used to argue with them but could never win... until I got the Tesla. Now all it takes is an unhinged, crazy-eyes look (plus a sneeze or two) along with some loud "snowball/hell" verbiage and they usually just F right the F off and let me park my own GD car.

Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 1.19.17 PM.png

Good observation...yes valets probably have ways to move cars if they can't find the keys or battery dies, etc, but would you be able to get a tesla up on those dollies while it is in Park? Not sure how they work...

I think you have to jack up each wheel to use them, if so, I would bet they didn't use proper jack pads. May want to check undercarriage.
They would have a lot of cars they need to move quickly
Quick and easy they would have used hydraulic wheel dollies like these, no jack pads, no keys, in park, not a problem

H61f273260977402c85c4b8832c185900Y.jpg

Last edited:
About 40 years ago (yeah, I'm old) I owned a Chevy Chevette - the worst piece of crap GM every built). I parked in an NYC garage one very cold winter night. When I came back three hours later and got in the car, the radio was tuned to a station I never listen to and the heater blasted hot air instantly rather than after the engine had warmed up. Obviously, one of the parking attendants had taken the car for a drive. The lesson learned is that in NYC, never turn your car over to a parking attendant. Yeah, I know that eliminates 99% of the parking lots and garages in NYC, but there is always the self-park garage at Lincoln Center

Reactions: Taxvictim
Cool! You work on anything we might have seen? If you live in Georgia, maybe Tyler Perry movies, The Walking Dead??
No, I worked in California until a few years ago. Night Court, Alice, According to Jim, Growing Pains, Barbara Streisand's Millineum Show, Frank Sinatra's 80th Birthday, Zombieland, and a plethora more...

About 40 years ago (yeah, I'm old) I owned a Chevy Chevette - the worst piece of crap GM every built). I parked in an NYC garage one very cold winter night. When I came back three hours later and got in the car, the radio was tuned to a station I never listen to and the heater blasted hot air instantly rather than after the engine had warmed up. Obviously, one of the parking attendants had taken the car for a drive. The lesson learned is that in NYC, never turn your car over to a parking attendant. Yeah, I know that eliminates 99% of the parking lots and garages in NYC, but there is always the self-park garage at Lincoln Center
That's why the Tesla has the Valet mode AND you can set a speed limit in the app. I use that even when I take it to a shop.

Reactions: Carolina Karl
I'm still waiting for my delivery so excuse the ignorance but why would the alarm not go off if the car was locked and being pushed around?
The standard car alarm only detects if the doors or trunk were opened without a key.
"Your alarm will sound and external lights will flash if a locked trunk or door is opened without a valid entry key."
Car Safety and Security Features

Only Europe gets a tilt/intrusion sensor, as that is probably required by law:

Sentry mode might be able to detect it, but that doesn't sent notifications to the phone AFAIK, although it may show up as an event and you may see a recording if you had dashcam on.