Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Valet Service vs Ranger Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering the service agreement with Ranger service.

As I understand it we should get valet service without a service agreement.. according to Elon Musk's April announcement
"Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program":
Valet Service

Your time is valuable and should not be spent driving to or waiting at our service centers. Tesla is putting in place a valet service, so that your car is seamlessly picked up and replaced with a loaner and then returned as soon as we are done. There is no additional charge for this.

Can anyone without Ranger service confirm that they get valet service? Is valet service only considered for vehicle down, or is it for any vehicle service.

I have "anywhere" service. Whenever I've needed service a Ranger has come to my home or office.

On one occasion the car needed to go back to the Toronto service center. In that case the valet came to my office with a trailer containing a black P85+, swapped it for my car, and returned a few days later to swap back again.

I have the cheapest 4 year maintenance plan ($1900) from Tesla, which does NOT include Ranger service for free. I can get that for $100 each time.

Today, the valet service drove a P85 loaner with 2000 miles to my workplace and took my 85 back to the service center about 30 miles away to fix a side mirror issue and the "low hum over 60 or 65 mph that many others have described. Here in Northern California, there's a significant wait for service center appointments, so this valet service was set up about 3 weeks ago to be done today. If you have a problem that can wait, this is a very easy service to use.

Here in Northern California, there's a significant wait for service center appointments, so this valet service was set up about 3 weeks ago to be done today. If you have a problem that can wait, this is a very easy service to use.

I have the 4+4 year Service plan with no Ranger option since I live just a few miles from the Toronto Service Center. I had to make a service appointment about 2-3 weeks in advance, and I plan on dropping the car off at the SC personally. I guess Toronto is getting busy too.

I have the cheapest 4 year maintenance plan ($1900) from Tesla, which does NOT include Ranger service for free. I can get that for $100 each time.

Today, the valet service drove a P85 loaner with 2000 miles to my workplace and took my 85 back to the service center...

Oh, so that was included with your plan? I have the 4+4 and have never been offered valet service. In fact, I've never been able to get a loaner either. Guess Costa Mesa is too busy.

Oh, so that was included with your plan? I have the 4+4 and have never been offered valet service. In fact, I've never been able to get a loaner either. Guess Costa Mesa is too busy.

I was never offered Valet either, but being so close to the SC, I would rather just drop it off anyway. I could not, however, get by without a loaner... I use my car far too much to be without it.

I have the regular 4 year service plan.

Las Vegas Service Center is SUPERB!

Valet service always available..........loaners available...........and they are always offering valet service, even when I don't really need it. They run a great operation..............Jessica Wilde, Las Vegas Service Manager, ROCKS and deserves lots of cudos!

This is how it reads... Valet service is included with the standard warranty. When you schedule a warranty service several weeks out, Tesla will provide a valet and loaner on your service date.
Ranger service gives you quick access to an onsite service tech when you have an issue. This is especially important if you are travelling in the car, and are somewhere remote and need Ranger service. An example could be an inexplicably drained 12VDC battery.

Can anyone confirm the response time of Rangers... do they come quickly?

I believe that if the unit is down while travelling (or anywhere), the standard warranty's roadside assistance would come collect the car, although no loaner may be involved.

This is how it reads... Valet service is included with the standard warranty. When you schedule a warranty service several weeks out, Tesla will provide a valet and loaner on your service date.

Unfortunately, that is not how it works at the busiest service centers in the country. I scheduled my last service appt. in August at Costa Mesa a whole month in advance. No loaner, no valet. No complaint from me either, although a loaner would be nice in the future.

Ranger service gives you quick access to an onsite service tech when you have an issue. This is especially important if you are travelling in the car, and are somewhere remote and need Ranger service. An example could be an inexplicably drained 12VDC battery.

Can anyone confirm the response time of Rangers... do they come quickly?

I believe that if the unit is down while travelling (or anywhere), the standard warranty's roadside assistance would come collect the car, although no loaner may be involved.

i've had a couple of scheduled ranger visits, set up well in advance. When my UMC failed some guy in Freemont gave me a hard time about borrowing one from the nearby showroom and I then insisted on a ranger. Once my local SC got involved, they got someone out to me pronto, and on Sunday night. Seems the people on the phone in Freemont just don' t get it but the local guys are very responsive.

when i've had my car in for service at Rockville, they haven't volunteered the valet service, but it was definitely available when i asked about it.

That is very interesting. I did not buy the service plan and have assumed that would have been required to access the valet service. I have had a loaner on two occasions, and it was made clear they prefer to schedule that in advance. Recently, I've been offered an early date with an ICE rental car loaner, or a later date with a Tesla loaner, so naturally I took the later date.

Given that I haven't paid for a service plan, I feel ok about bringing the car in myself when it is operable, and paying for anything that is not on warranty. However, should it break down and strand me, I will not hesitate to request valet service on warranty coverage.