Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Valet vs Speed limit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
95CDAF52-AD73-4F98-B63C-82D2E144E662.jpeg

Hey,

Valet mode limits speed to 70mph but I can also use speed limit to 50mph...

If I add both which one takes priority or do you get all of valet mode but limited to 50mph?

...If I add both which one takes priority or do you get all of valet mode but limited to 50mph?

I haven't tried but my guess is you'll get the best of both world (which means the most restrictive from both iof the two).

1) Speed limit mode: the most restrictive it can do is to limit speed all the way down to 50 MPH.
2) Valet mode: Speed=70MPH, no access to glove box, frunk, homelink.

Thus, if you don't want someone to use your frunk, glove box and homelink but you don't want them to drive 70 MPH either, so just click both!

I would choose the mode which restricts power the most, which I would guess is valet mode. But I would set the speed limiter as well for good measure! Probably more useful that Valet mode will stop them messing around with your setup menu. They might get curious and start poking around the screen.

So I went for a spin today with both valet mode and 50mph speed limit... boy that was not fun at all

The power output it capped at 100wh/h on the dash which takes an age to get to 50 then when you do that’s it.

Have to say i drive in CHILL most of the time and this felt like it was more restricted but that’s just a feeling nothing scientific to prove my point.

Have to say i drive in CHILL most of the time

I've never tried chill mode. Do you do that to avoid the temptation of flooring it or do you actually find it smoother to drive in chill mode? I can't say I've ever felt the need to restrict the power in my X 75D. I can see more point in having chill mode in a P100D because when I test drove one it was just bonkers quick for everyday use! But the X 75D feels buttery smooth in its power delivery in standard mode. I honestly preferred driving the 75D in such a big heavy beast of a car! The power just seems more in keeping with the chassis capability. Might be a different story in the much lower slung S. I drove an S100D loaner the other day and the handling was significantly sharper and more composed over bumps than the X. I concluded that the X is not really a racing car, but still a very capable large SUV!

I've never tried chill mode. Do you do that to avoid the temptation of flooring it or do you actually find it smoother to drive in chill mode?

It’s a shock to pull into traffic and not realize you were just testing chill mode.

I prefer it off. Control acceleration with the foot.

I will use it when teaching the kiddo to drive or if relatives borrow the car.

I too drive in Chill mode in my P85D most of the time. On the odd occasion I have a boy racer up my a--e or revving at the lights I'll change to 'insane' and show them what performance is really like!

Most of my driving is done in traffic or cruising on the motorway so I'm hoping that chill mode may help (even a little) with battery consumption.

Reactions: Fellsteruk
I use chill because it helps me speed less also my wife who drives to work with me every day hates the whip lash so I tend to use chill and turn it off when I want to prove a point to some little tool :)

Yeah, I had that complaint from my wife early on too! Either I've learned to be more progressive on the accelerator or she's got used to the whiplash! It would be nice if chill mode had a full power kick down i.e. a softer pedal map up to say 3/4 travel and then ramped back up to full power in the last 1/4 travel. I'd probably use it quite often then. BTW I'm only presuming it doesn't already do this and actually caps the power at full pedal.