Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Valet wheel damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RubberToe

Supporting the greater good
Jun 28, 2012
El Lay
Checked out of a hotel in Monterey yesterday morning. One of the vehicle passengers did a quick look around when we picked it up from the valet who brought us the car. Didn't notice anything. When I got to Casa de Fruta to Supercharge I looked at the right rear passenger wheel and the first thing I said to Mrs. Toe was "I sure hope that's seagull poop". Well, it wasn't. The valet upon returning the car evidently cut to close to a curb and gashed out the rear wheel pretty good. We only took the car out one other time, to do the 17-mile drive, so it could have happened then. Interestingly, there is video of the valet trip for the 17-mile drive since he honked the horn upon entering the lot, but the video stopped shortly after the horn honk. No video of the other 3 valet trips to/from the parking garage. The car was not in valet mode. I checked the user's manual for valet mode, and there was nothing about the car recording video at all times during valet mode. Note to Tesla, allow this as a setting. None of the valet's mentioned anything about damaging the car.

Sent the hotel an e-mail last night, including pictures. Automatic response was that the manager was on vacation till Monday, and provided a number to call, which I will do this morning. Any thoughts on how to proceed with this? First time I have ever had a valet damage my car. I'll hit a tire place this morning on the off chance that the tire also needs replacing. We made it all the way back to Pasadena yesterday after the incident.

RT

PXL_20210908_163705298.MP.jpg

Will be difficult to prove since this was after you had already left, so best case scenario they cover the cost to have it repaired if they accept responsibility.

Otherwise, any wheel repair shop should be able to fix this for about $200-250.

Claim was filed today with the parking provider. Will find out in 5-7 business days.

Another thing I thought of: Upon entering your car after the valet delivers it, hit the record button for sentry. This will capture the drive from the parking garage to your pick up point. This would have captured the damage if it were done on the delivery versus the trip to the parking garage.

RT

Reactions: Spacep0d
This may be too little, too late, but it may help someone.

These days its REAL easy to document everything. It may seem a little overboard, but when I drop cars off with valets, I take 8 photos of the outside of the car with them watching. (front, rear, sides, and all 4 corners). I also take a photo of the drivers seat area. I always tell them "I've been burned before", which technically isnt true, but I've had friends that have been. Then I tip them well. If you do that stuff, they dont even want to RISK messing with your car and are extra careful.

You have to do the same when you pick it up, too. Cameras are good enough now it really only takes a few seconds. That said, I avoid valets like the plague. I only use them if I'm forced to (hotels in cities, etc).

I used to valet in college (this was decades ago) and if someone was that anal, I'd want to be in/around that car as little as possible. We used to have mild fun in ppls cars, but nothing real bad. No time to do that Ferris Bueller's Day Off stuff. Worst we'd do is if we were hungry, we'd use the next car to pick up food (<1mi away). It wouldnt matter if it was a Honda or a Mercedes, what mattered is it was a car. I honestly dont care what a valet does as long as they dont damage the car in any way, shape, or form. When I had a CTS-V my view was the valet will never drive it harder than I do! LOL.

Reactions: Spacep0d
Another thing I thought of: Upon entering your car after the valet delivers it, hit the record button for sentry. This will capture the drive from the parking garage to your pick up point. This would have captured the damage if it were done on the delivery versus the trip to the parking garage.

This will only work when they take possession of your car and drive it over to a parking spot. It's not going to record them getting into your car and driving it back over to you when you're leaving, as that's when an accident may occur since they're usually in a rush to get you the car.

Reactions: jpy1980
Yeah, I'm like 99% sure they are going to deny everything. This is why I'm anal and never valet any of my cars... And if I'm forced to, I will record a video of the valet ticket, while doing a closeup/walk-around. One time when I took the wife to a weekend spa get-away for our anniversary, the valet laughed at me, and said I had nothing to worry about. While I was standing there another valet fetched a customer's car, and proceeded to curb the rim right in front of me as he backed it up.

Reactions: RubberToe
No one reads the fine print on those valet tickets. In most cases, as soon as you take that valet ticket in exchange for your key, YOU assume all liability for what happens to the car, not THEM. Even if you do find the valet company at fault, you will have to take them to small claims court to get any kind of monetary compensation. By that time of course, you would have spent more $$ in time and energy than what it would cost to fix the damage your self.

I used to park cars back in the day too and I can tell you, unequivocally, that valet company owners are EVIL!! :(

No one reads the fine print on those valet tickets. In most cases, as soon as you take that valet ticket in exchange for your key, YOU assume all liability for what happens to the car, not THEM. Even if you do find the valet company at fault, you will have to take them to small claims court to get any kind of monetary compensation. By that time of course, you would have spent more $$ in time and energy than what it would cost to fix the damage your self.

I used to park cars back in the day too and I can tell you, unequivocally, that valet company owners are EVIL!! :(
FYI, those disclaimers on the back of the ticket are almost never worth the paper they are written on except to try and scare people. Numerous court cases throughout the country have ruled the disclaimers, at least when it comes to the car itself, is not enforceable.

You have to do the same when you pick it up, too. Cameras are good enough now it really only takes a few seconds. That said, I avoid valets like the plague. I only use them if I'm forced to (hotels in cities, etc).
Any advice on polite things to say to a Valet if you refuse to have them touch your car and want to self-park instead (where it looks feasible to do like a wedding venue or restaurant parking lot in the suburbs)? I too avoid them at all costs.

While waiting to hear back from the claims department, I sent an e-mail to the valet supervisor on 9-10 asking if he had talked to the valet's to see if anyone remembered curbing my wheel when driving the car. He replied that he had not discussed it with them. I asked him to please inquire with the attendants in question.

RT

Same thing happened to me in Vegas. The only EV charger at the resort I was staying at was only accessible to the valet, so I had no choice.

Didn't notice anything when the valet brought out the car, but I saw a similar scuff on my rear passenger's side wheel after I got back home. I ended up just using a sharpie, and it's hardly noticeable.

I've done a wheel repair once before, and it was only $100 for mobile service. Well worth it if the damage was more severe but not for something this minor. I resolved to just live with it, and if I do end up doing more damage, maybe then pay again for the repair.

Same thing happened to me in Vegas. The only EV charger at the resort I was staying at was only accessible to the valet, so I had no choice.

Didn't notice anything when the valet brought out the car, but I saw a similar scuff on my rear passenger's side wheel after I got back home. I ended up just using a sharpie, and it's hardly noticeable.

I've done a wheel repair once before, and it was only $100 for mobile service. Well worth it if the damage was more severe but not for something this minor. I resolved to just live with it, and if I do end up doing more damage, maybe then pay again for the repair.
What company does the mobile repair? Would you recommend their work?

RT

What company does the mobile repair? Would you recommend their work?

RT
I used this company to repair three wheels on my Model S that had significant curb rash. Repair was done in my garage and the wheels looked brand new afterwards.

Reactions: RubberToe