Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Valet with Phone Key Options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I searched and didn't find a clear answer. I use my phone as my key for my M3P. I have a lunch meeting tomorrow at a fancy restaurant with valet only. I hate using valets, and have never done so with my 3.

What is my best option? Do I dig out my key card? (haven't used it since I bought my car) any better way to do it?

Thanx,
Joel

By "dig mine out", I hope you mean it's in your wallet.

Right, as reliable as the phone key may be, that key card is your best backup and so easy to carry with you. Regardless, once you find it, don’t forget about valet mode.

I suppose, as an alternative, you could remote start the car for the valet and place it in valet mode (or double check if you already did that). If you can see the parking area or the valet can radio back to the attendant that they’re finished parking/approaching your car, you can click the lock/unlock and start buttons (for the return trip, of course).

F597D66A-92EA-46F5-8E7D-270B2319C70F.jpeg

Just realized this is a day late so hope you figured things out and your car is safe.

Last edited:
I searched and didn't find a clear answer. I use my phone as my key for my M3P. I have a lunch meeting tomorrow at a fancy restaurant with valet only. I hate using valets, and have never done so with my 3.

What is my best option? Do I dig out my key card? (haven't used it since I bought my car) any better way to do it?

Thanx,
Joel
I recommend just carrying your keycard around in your wallet, you'll forget you even have it. No reason not to as a backup, relying on the phone 100% isn't a good idea. Otherwise yes, the remote start via app is the only other way to give someone ability to drive car without key.

Valet mode. Gave key card. Attendant chased me down to get my phone to park my car which was blocking traffic. Key card won’t work. Why?? What to do??
@JzGal Need more detail. Did you check if the valet was familiar with Tesla NFC key? Did you show them where to tap the card to unlock, and where to tap to drive? Did you have PIN to start enabled? Did you put the car in Valet Mode?

If they thought the NFC keycard works like a keyfob, that would explain why they couldn't move the car.