Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Validation Prototypes (VPs)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting...

It felt like VP31 was quicker than it should have been as well.

I heard rumors that some Roadsters are known as "mutants" because they make more power than advertised.

The previous owner of EU VIN 0447 (non sport!) did an official 0-100km/h measurement once, and he did it in 3.2s. So I guess that statement is true.
Note: according to the dutch car registry, the car was registered as having 50hp... rrrrright

Down at the local SC today and I bumped into an old flame ;)

So pleased to see VP12 still around and waiting to be restored.

20160903_103320.jpg
20160903_103335.jpg

In my opinion a different motor (stronger) motor would not directly lead to more power on the wheels. Actually it has - if I remember right - a steady performance of 47kW and a asynchronous electrical motor can be overloaded a lot when the heat is transferred away.
Going from 3.9 down to 3.2 seconds in acceleration is a lot and I was once told that for a "sport" conversion the two circuit boards in the front had to be changed (also there is a sport only PEM as a "universal" PEM for the 2.X). It comes down to the inverter technic and how it is "driven" by the software side; also the 400V input of the PEM and the max of the IGBTs could be a bottle neck.
Getting "more" can be validated quite well with the Boost Upgrade via software update for some of the Model 3...

I called in at the Winchester service centre last week for a quick supercharge in my Model Y. I'd been tipped off by @Mark77a that VP12 was around the back under a cover, along with 2 other Roadsters, so had to see for myself.

I hope it is not being used as a parts Christmas tree, because ironically it seems Winchester is now the south of England Roadster service centre - just after I move out of the city after many years. In addition to the 3 Roadsters under cover here, I spotted 5 others on site in the 15 minutes I was there. VP12 had been completely restored and modernised when I last saw it at Brooklands SC in 2019 or when it was spotted on the M25 in August 2020, and now bits are falling off it.

Last week:

1713167679099.png

1713167712608.png

1713168100729.png

2019:

1713167950851.png

2020:

1713169141708.jpeg

Last edited:
I called in at the Winchester service centre last week for a quick supercharge in my Model Y. I'd been tipped off by @Mark77a that VP12 was around the back under a cover, along with 2 other Roadsters, so had to see for myself.

I hope it is not being used as a parts Christmas tree, because ironically it seems Winchester is now the south of England Roadster service centre - just after I move out of the city after many years. In addition to the 3 Roadsters under cover here, I spotted 5 others on site in the 15 minutes I was there. VP12 had been completely restored and modernised when I last saw it at Brooklands SC in 2019 or when it was spotted on the M25 in August 2020, and now bits are falling off it.

Last week:

View attachment 1038649

View attachment 1038650
View attachment 1038653

2019:

View attachment 1038652

2020:

View attachment 1038655
At least those three are under covers. I hope it’s Tesla’s intention to not part-out those cars and restore them. IMO, it would be the smart play to promote longterm support for their future product line. Otherwise, other than social media influencers, no one will want to step up to make a 6 figure car purchase when they know that manufacturer will treat their produce like trash after it leaves their showroom:(

Unfortunately, most of the parts coming out of those buy back cars are deemed NOT safe to be restocked for reman parts. I’ve encountered this at my local SC. There’s stories of trash bins of removed parts taken to the dumbs. 😢

Last week:

View attachment 1038649

View attachment 1038650
View attachment 1038653

2019:

View attachment 1038652

2020:

View attachment 1038655
Looks like it got hit.

Or they backed into a curb or something like that.

I should also point out that it has been off the road for at least 11 months. The MOT (British mandatory technical test) expired in May last year and the car has done a grand total of 117 miles since I saw it in 2019. My money would be on it being bricked.

1713251566044.png

Last edited: