Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Valuation Tesla Model S - Free charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking to sell my Model S 90 with 40k miles, August 17. I'm trying to understand if the free supercharging that applies to this vehicle gives it a premium valuation - I've seen a few similar ones at around £45k+ and a few that include the term "free charging" and carry a premium of circa +£10k. I was under the impression that all vehicles up to around 2018 had free charging so wondered if i'm potentially missing an opportunity by undervaluing it?
Appreciate any advice.

Last edited:
I can't comment on most of this, but I'd certainly ensure the phrasing is "free SuperCharging", because that's all you get for free. I'm guessing you wouldn't want some EV newbie who doesn't understand how charging networks operate to think it'll be free to charge everywhere.

I was wondering this at the weekend when I was at South Mimms chocka with old MS and MY all of which were there when I arrived and still there when I left having filled up with the minimum I could get away with at 13x the price I pay at home ( got home at 6%)

£10k seems excessive to me, unless you are targeting buyers with very high motorway mileage (and given your 40k miles 2017 S I would say that's not your situation either).

Quick maths but even assuming £30 worth of supercharging per week (since the recent price increase at avg. 0.66kWh that's going from 30%->80% SoC), every single week of the year, so times 52, that's £1500 in savings per annum, so over 6 1/2 years to just break even your £10k price point...
Of course it's lifetime, but by the breakeven point, it'll already be an 11 year old, legacy car... battery degradation, limited charging speed & so forth...

Personally I think it's overpriced (for my usage), but with patience, you might find an interested party. But bear in mind most people who require multiple supercharges a week, high mileage users, don't often stretch 5 year old cars for another half-decade...

Well that sounds totally logical. I guess my real question is what is it REALISTICALLY worth and I am guessing that ALL cars of 2017 or beforehave free charging regardless whether they advertise as such?
My opinion is, to the right buyer, it may be worth what you are requesting. At half that, 5k, I may even be tempted, so it will depend if you are patient enough to find the right one.
In summary, how desperate are you to sell the car, how quickly and do you have a deadline? Otherwise I would put out some feelers and wait for interested parties to get in touch and discuss…

Surely, just look on Auto Trader for a valuation, those cars with free supercharging are usually identified so it isn't a unique situation, just look for same year, similar miles and condition plus free supercharging, shouldn't take long to establish where the market is. Just had a look, only 10 90Ds of 2017 with similar mileage and guide price between £47.5k and £55K

Yeah probably. I did that which is why I was wondering about those with "free Supercharging" they seem to carry a premium. It appears from other posters here that some of those vehicles of 2017 dont have the "free supercharging" which was my question. Which is now answered.