Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Value drain on Tesla S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very disappointed in Tesla motors US $ 80.000 of depreciation of the Tesla S Signature from 2013 And idiotic spare-part prices for malfunctioning elements. And monopolistic behaviour In the end this will kick back I think, looks like a van banque behaviour Cancelled my preorder for TESLA 3 Wait and see!!!

My Tesla was many times in repair Many parts broke sometimes two or three times like 12 Volt battery aircondioning heater drive trait etc etc We took the challenge in 2012 to put the money up and gave Musk the benefit of the doubt But I now understand we were used And there is no reward for this behaviour and support Disappointment is massive.I posted a story driving my Tesla through Europe which was a big challenge.No chargers Charge US $ 6000 for a inverter probably made of gold

Somebody's first car in this price range was a Tesla!

Go shopping for a Mercedes s class built at the exact same time as a Model S, Tesla actually holds its value slightly more! Since this was your first sedan in this price point you might have been surprised, but now that you know it's been an industry trend for the last century you can expect it for all future cars.

Repair shenanigans do need to be fixed, Tesla is terrible and anti consumer when it comes to normal car industry repair and parts availability.

My experience is actually the opposite. My two recent repairs (12v battery and door handel) in the drive-way at standard shop rate with parts cheaper than I could find online anywhere! Bought an off lease S and have been impressed with residual value compared my used Land Rover, Porsche, and Audi's. That said, its still the highest percentage of my cost-of-ownership (or of any car):

cost per mile.jpg

My experience is actually the opposite. My two recent repairs (12v battery and door handel) in the drive-way at standard shop rate with parts cheaper than I could find online anywhere! Bought an off lease S and have been impressed with residual value compared my used Land Rover, Porsche, and Audi's. That said, its still the highest percentage of my cost-of-ownership (or of any car):

View attachment 387749

I didn't realize Google Chrome did a breakdown of Cost per mile for Tesla. :D

For the OP. Repair work and a lack of charging network would frustrate all of us. A lot of early adopters have more disposable funds to support their hobbies and most have the understanding that buying a new technology is not an investment but something for their own amusement, or something they want to get behind and support. I'm rarely an early adopter for technology as I've felt burned in the past with overspending on Laser Discs, Mini Discs, DVDs, and computers in general. You pay up for the technology and the enjoyment of its usage. To complain about the depreciated value of technology implies a misunderstanding of the dynamic of both the advancements and obsolete nature of technology. In defense of the Tesla Model S, many find the 2012 Model S to still be relevant in technology, automotive, and environmental terms. It's not like the product is suddenly junk, useless, or obsolete.

I can only speak as a lukewarm satisfied owner of a used Model S in the United States, and that I'm not aware of the challenges of owning a Tesla in Switzerland. While I love the car and have only had one issue with the car (rear defroster needed repair), I have issues with the company, management, and customer service. They could do so much better if they were focused on it. My suggestion would be to hire an expert in customer service and implement better processes and procedures at both the Delivery Center and Service Centers. I'm rather sympathetic towards the representative because they are placed in an impossible position having to deal with a bad process.

Last edited:
Reactions: darxsys
I've had my Model S 85 since '13. It is still like new, in great condition. Yes, it doesn't have AP, etc... but I've never kept a car this long. I've always wanted something new. Not this time. I'm just waiting for a refresh of the Model S and will buy again. We bought two Ss in 2013 and have since added two Model 3s to the family, one P3+. True, service, imo, has lacked as more cars have been sold. That's my biggest gripe. Early on is was very personal care and always a Tesla loaner. It was a gamble getting one early on, but we've never regretted it.
As far as losing its value, all my cars have lost a lot. I feel anyone buying a 2012/13 Model S is getting a bargain!