Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Value Model 3 Performance vs Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LR has a larger audience than performance. LR interests business people, families, commuters etc. Performance has a more limited audience. With that being said Elon might pull a fast one with a 20k model 2 that has 600miles range and your LR becomes obsolete. Noone knows mate. Buy the one that works for you. I went for the LR because i don't want to stress about charging, i want to charge less when driving to our summer house, and i honestly don't enjoy the low profile wheels and the uncomfortable ride, plus the risk of cracking one of those rims where i live is high. So i opted for more comfortable and long range car than for a fast and stiff ride. Visually the cars are identical besides the coloured brakes which you can fix that in a slow weekend.... Also a performance will also lock you to 19-20'' wheels as the break calipers dont allow for any other size. Which means stiff ride forever. If you change your mind 12 months in you cannot go 18. You have to sell the car.
With all that being said i think both options are great, i would love to have a LR Performance with 18 wheels and coloured calipers for the same price as the performance :) Crazy people everywhere right? :)

Ehhh, not entirely true. You can definitely put 18" wheels on a performance TM3, just not the stock 18s.
Hmm ok, i did not know that. Most 18s will not fit on performance AFAIK. There are some very special designed 18s that have like microns of tolerance but in those cases you are just looking for trouble on a cold day with warm and slightly warped caliper brackets... i would not take the chance.

To start with, I don't know if I'd make a buying decision based on a theoretical sale value extrapolated 3 years into the future.
This is one of the more challenging things I had to get over in looking at new cars. It should be something to be used as opposed to be babied with the idea that it'll retain value for a future sale. Still trying to convince myself to use my car as I want instead of worrying about driving and using it will hurt the resale value down the road.

Reactions: ehacke
Hmm ok, i did not know that. Most 18s will not fit on performance AFAIK. There are some very special designed 18s that have like microns of tolerance but in those cases you are just looking for trouble on a cold day with warm and slightly warped caliper brackets... i would not take the chance.

Almost every 18" wheel from Tsportline fits the performance model 3, and the popular martian mw03 wheels are another. They even have a video showing the exact clearance between the brakes and the wheel from all angles.

I couldn't find much information on this specific topic so I apologize if this is repeated.

I am curious as to which trim holds more value percentage wise between a 2021 refreshed Performance Model 3 and a Long range Model 3. Realistically, I would probably only keep the model 3 for three years or so...I am trying to decide between the two options. If I am going to do a 5 year loan and the vehicle most likely won't be paid off in 5 years I am looking to figure out if one will hold more value than the other? I am not too concerned about the difference in monthly payment of approximately $130 per month over 5 years.

Obviously the performance is more expensive but maybe its not for everyone when it comes to second hand? LR is more suitable for the average person.

I am curious if anyone has ran these numbers or there is any data to support either claim?
Just read this post as I’m in the same question. Looking to buy a used 2019-2020 M3. Either LR or performance, and wondering which will hold its value better in the next year or two.

I’ve found them both in the same price range, so wondering which one will stay the same or maybe even appreciate. Not sure how people feel about the performance as a “rare” car.

What did you end up getting and what are your thoughts on this now ? Thanks ! 🙏🏼

Sure you do. I very intentionally selected and purchased my Lamborghini Murcielago knowing that as the last naturally aspirated V12 gated manual Lamborghini with doors that go up, it wouldn't just not depreciate, but actually go up in value. So far, I could buy a Model 3 Performance with the appreciation. So people definitely look at TCO when buying performance cars.
You sound like an ECH member ?

Any thoughts on LR vs performance in the used market now ? 2019-2020 to use and hold for a year or so ..

Warning old thread

Teslas are absolutely not going to appreciate in value anytime soon. The used market is crashing due to all of the self-righteous Elon haters out there.

To be fair, Elon is doing a job on his reputation w/o any need for help from anyone else. Sadly that does impact Tesla shareholders (me, in an ever shrinking amount) because for so long Elon was/still is Tesla

He shoots himself in the foot quite often that man does