Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Value of 2012 Model S Signature P85 w/out working battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So final update... I picked up my car yesterday afternoon and the final cost was as follows:

View attachment 648105
Charging to 100% last night got me to 256 miles, an improvement of 38 miles from my old battery. While at the SC I requested all diagnostics from my old battery on the several occasions I complained about my battery and they supposedly tested it, they told me they couldn’t give me the diagnostics... hmm.
I'm curious what your charging rates are now with the reman battery?

this is a key question. Would you get “modern” charging rates with either the Reman battery or the New pack or once the car has been throttled will it remain throttled?

I got a warranty-replacement reman pack about a year ago that did nothing to improve my charging rates.
Yeah initially I thought the 90D pack got the short end of the stick when it was nerfed early on after just a few supercharging sessions. But after the fire in China, the 85KWh pack and probably the 60KWh pack got the short end of the stick. The 90KWh pack recently got a firmware update to restore the supercharging speed. It is back now at close to original charging speed. If you are due another replacement, I would ask if you can get the 90kwh pack charged limited to 85kwh. The new firmware should make the supercharging speed really worth it!

Yeah initially I thought the 90D pack got the short end of the stick when it was nerfed early on after just a few supercharging sessions. But after the fire in China, the 85KWh pack and probably the 60KWh pack got the short end of the stick. The 90KWh pack recently got a firmware update to restore the supercharging speed. It is back now at close to original charging speed. If you are due another replacement, I would ask if you can get the 90kwh pack charged limited to 85kwh. The new firmware should make the supercharging speed really worth it!
I heard of this before but haven't tried it myself. My charging speed was never impacted (always around 110, see attachment) so I doubt if I'm gonna see any improvement.

1617101683761.png

Reviving this thread because I can provide some concrete info:

I have a Sig P85 and the HV battery died in January at 144k miles. Tesla offered me a reman pack for $15k or a new one for $23k. Both prices include tax. A week later, they walked back the reman option and said that new was the only available option. Fast forward to now, I’ve paid $21,700 for a brand new 90kwh pack, part number: 1014116-00-C. My old pack was a type A, so I was limited to 90kw at superchargers, but my actual charge curve in the past 1-2 years looked more like that of a Chevy Bolt (aka $hit). I’m picking up the car tomorrow evening and immediately driving it 360 miles. I’m expecting a 2 stop drive, but am hoping that I will only need to charge once. TBD. Really hoping I can get 120-130kw at superchargers and average power delivery >80kw

To those who suggested taking the car to Gruber Motors: hell no. He has no idea what he’s doing. He’s destroyed over 2% of all Tesla Roadsters ever made. I expect there will be more fires destroying more older Tesla’s there in the future. You couldn‘t pay me to take my car there. Fvck Pete Gruber

I don’t intend to ever sell my car (now a Sig P90). I’m hoping this brand new pack will get me to 300k miles or further. My new theoretical max range is right around 265, which is the same as what it was when the car was brand new. I was hoping for 270-280. Before the swap, my 100% range was 215-220 miles.

I will try to post some SC speeds and range updates this weekend

I have a Sig P85 and the HV battery died in January at 144k miles. Tesla offered me a reman pack for $15k or a new one for $23k. Both prices include tax. A week later, they walked back the reman option and said that new was the only available option. Fast forward to now, I’ve paid $21,700 for a brand new 90kwh pack, part number: 1014116-00-C. My old pack was a type A, so I was limited to 90kw at superchargers, but my actual charge curve in the past 1-2 years looked more like that of a Chevy Bolt (aka $hit). I’m picking up the car tomorrow evening and immediately driving it 360 miles. I’m expecting a 2 stop drive, but am hoping that I will only need to charge once. TBD. Really hoping I can get 120-130kw at superchargers and average power delivery >80kw

To those who suggested taking the car to Gruber Motors: hell no. He has no idea what he’s doing. He’s destroyed over 2% of all Tesla Roadsters ever made. I expect there will be more fires destroying more older Tesla’s there in the future. You couldn‘t pay me to take my car there. Fvck Pete Gruber

I don’t intend to ever sell my car (now a Sig P90). I’m hoping this brand new pack will get me to 300k miles or further. My new theoretical max range is right around 265, which is the same as what it was when the car was brand new. I was hoping for 270-280. Before the swap, my 100% range was 215-220 miles.

That's about right, 265mi :)

Congrats.

Would you mind posting your invoice here (without personal data)? This is the first time I read about the new "C" revision of this 350v pack.

Much appreciate it.

Reactions: BigNick
I only needed to do a one-stopper from Northern LA to the SF Bay Area.

- First leg was Van Nuys/Burbank area to Harris Ranch- 183 miles. I left with ~89% and arrived with 7 or 8% IIRC
- Charged at Harris Ranch for ~45 min. Highest observed SC power was 113kw, but the charge curve didn't have any major drops in power. It held over 100kw for 20ish minutes, certainly until 50% SoC. Left with about 80-85% SoC
- Second leg was Harris Ranch to San Mateo- 172 miles. I arrived home with <9%

Overall, pretty happy with this performance. It's certainly not on par with a newer 100D or Model S long range, but very pleased with this coming from a 10 year old chassis with a motor that is optimized for power, not efficiency. My Model 3 performance remains a superior roadtrip car from a charging speed/time perspective, but this makes the P90 a lot more useful for longer trips.

P.S. Used cruise control for the vast majority of the trip with speed set to 73-76 mph

- First leg was Van Nuys/Burbank area to Harris Ranch- 183 miles. I left with ~89% and arrived with 7 or 8% IIRC
- Charged at Harris Ranch for ~45 min. Highest observed SC power was 113kw, but the charge curve didn't have any major drops in power. It held over 100kw for 20ish minutes, certainly until 50% SoC. Left with about 80-85% SoC
- Second leg was Harris Ranch to San Mateo- 172 miles. I arrived home with <9%
Thanks for the details, it's helpful

First leg was Van Nuys/Burbank area to Harris Ranch- 183 miles. I left with ~89% and arrived with 7 or 8% IIRC

Thanks for posting the invoice. The first leg of your trip calculates your 100% range at 223 miles (for 183 miles you used ~82%)? That's pretty low.

What estimate does your Tesla app show when you slide the charge limit to 100%? It has to be more than ~223 miles.

That would pencil based on ACTUAL usage, yes. But if @Sig72 's S is anything like mine, the actual miles (especially at 70+ MPH) is more like 80-85% of the rated.
Yeah, if I’m on the highway, I’m going 70-80mph

I supercharged again today from ~32% to 70%. Above 100kw until 48%, 75kw at 70%. Very linear drop, average charging power during the whole session was probably near 90kw, which my original pack could never do

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke