Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Value of my S40?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering selling, but don't know where to start other than carmax. Any idea how much my 2013 S40 black with tan leather, obeche matte, tech pkg, pano roof, w/ jump seats is worth to carmax with 37k mi? Would Tesla buy back even if I'm not trading in? If so would they give a better price considering it's value to them as a limited 60? I've seen some posts saying they've sold to other luxury brand dealers or to Vroom (which takes the car prior to payment). I don't think I can deal with a private sale.
(Minor (5mph) accident a couple years ago repaired perfectly at certified Tesla shop.)

I asked Tesla if they would buy my car without me trading it in for another Tesla - answer was 'no'.

Getting a quote from carmax and other similar companies is a good start. Private sale is the way to go, sorry, but it will mean a huge loss to sell it to carmax. If they give you a price add at least 5k to it. I would look for prices on 2013 60s - that gives you a ceiling. I have never sold on ebay, but you could try it - I think you can put a 'reserve' number in so if bidding doesn't get above that value you don't have to sell. If you sell privately ask for a cashier's check. Google scams on used car private purchases - I read about people getting ripped somehow with fake money orders. You can do it - just be careful.

I'm considering selling, but don't know where to start other than carmax. Any idea how much my 2013 S40 black with tan leather, obeche matte, tech pkg, pano roof, w/ jump seats is worth to carmax with 37k mi? Would Tesla buy back even if I'm not trading in? If so would they give a better price considering it's value to them as a limited 60? I've seen some posts saying they've sold to other luxury brand dealers or to Vroom (which takes the car prior to payment). I don't think I can deal with a private sale.
(Minor (5mph) accident a couple years ago repaired perfectly at certified Tesla shop.)
I would compare against 60's but remember that 40 range, no supercharging (free or paid), and no DC charging capabilities will be a big detractor. Did you inquire with Tesla how much to upgrade to 60 and add supercharging + DC charging? It used to be $12,500 but some people have reported Tesla letting them have it for less. Then again, I don't even see the supercharing enablement option in the Tesla shop anymore, do you'll have to check what is even possible anymore. If it's still $12,500 then your math goes something like this:
  • comparable Tesla CPO 60 with free supercharging $42,300
  • subtract $12,500 for 60 + supercharging unlock, $29,800
  • subtract value of 2 year CPO warranty - $2,000 (guestimate), so $27,800
  • subtract Tesla profit, and you're looking at ~$20K trade-in value
Private sale you're probably looking $24K-$30K range. Of course I could be totally wrong too. IMO the biggest thing that hits you here is that the $12,500 you saved up front is the one part that hasn't depreciated much -supercharging network is one of Tesla's biggest competitive advantages today. See what it would cost you to unlock 60 and supercharging and maybe advertise this to private sellers as an option (two prices, one for a 40, one for 60 with supercharging with the price difference added on).

Probably not what you want to hear, but it could be that keeping the car may the best option for you since you can get by with its 40 range and no supercharging, and you know you took care of it since its birth.

Last edited:
Jenni probably doesn’t want the hassle but if it were my car I would consider a salvage battery swap to a 75.

Also, shameless plug for doing a full acceleration 0-60 run for me on an iPhone or Android app. Perfectly legal at a flat onramp. Jenni, you can be immortalized amongst 200 runlogs as the only S40 willing.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Go get a quote from Carmax. I know someone else that sold their car (a 40) to Carmax and got a great price because all Carmax does is plug in the VIN into their system to get all of the car info. Since the 40 never really existed as a VIN, it will come up as a 60 in Carmax's system and you get offered a price as it were a 60.
So your advice is to take advantage of Carmax faulty appraisal method? Maybe slap a 60 badge on it before taking it in? ;) I suspect that if Carmax got burned on it before, chances are they fixed their process.

So your advice is to take advantage of Carmax faulty appraisal method? Maybe slap a 60 badge on it before taking it in? ;) I suspect that if Carmax got burned on it before, chances are they fixed their process.
I never implied doing anything underhanded. When one gets an appraisal at Carmax, the car owner is not asked to provide any information. You hand them the key and they do the rest. If they are not smart enough to look at the center screen where it clearly states the car is a 40, then whatever mistake they make by solely going off the VIN is their fault.

I never implied doing anything underhanded. When one gets an appraisal at Carmax, the car owner is not asked to provide any information. You hand them the key and they do the rest. If they are not smart enough to look at the center screen where it clearly states the car is a 40, then whatever mistake they make by solely going off the VIN is their fault.
Personally I see as an ill intent, aiming to take advantage of the other party. There are people out there who do believe if you're stupid enough to get conned you deserve it. I don't. Whether it's the business conning you, or vice versa, it's equally wrong. It is also the reason why business have to setup strict rules to prevent being cheated, but make it difficult or at least less pleasant on the rest of the people. Few bad apples who can ruin it for everyone else. For example, this is the reason why stores and businesses make you jump through many hoops to return anything - because they've been screwed before by people who said for example "hey, if they are too stupid to realize I am returning not the same item they sold me, they deserve to lose money".

So what did you do Jenni? I just put my S40 up on Car.com and carguru.com for $28,500. Lot's of interest because most people don't understand the "40" thing and thinks it's a steal. It's a great opportunity for somebody that doesn't need the range to get into a Tesla for <$30k. That's why I got a 40 and may be why you did too.
I'll let you know if I find a buyer or just sell to vroom. My Model 3 comes in next week so I'm not taking a lot of time with selling the S.

So what did you do Jenni? I just put my S40 up on Car.com and carguru.com for $28,500. Lot's of interest because most people don't understand the "40" thing and thinks it's a steal. It's a great opportunity for somebody that doesn't need the range to get into a Tesla for <$30k. That's why I got a 40 and may be why you did too.
I'll let you know if I find a buyer or just sell to vroom. My Model 3 comes in next week so I'm not taking a lot of time with selling the S.

I assume it's not worth unlocking to a 60 for better resale value? I thought Tesla dropped the price significantly.