TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Value of new 18" tires, rims and Aero caps? Trade-in or cash sale?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by StaceyR, Jun 4, 2018.

1. StaceyR

StaceyR Member

I plan on replacing our stock 18" tire/wheel/Aero combo with 19" aftermarket wheels and tires this week. I just picked up our M3 today so the tires will be virtually new. How much would they be worth either as trade-in or selling for cash?

2. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

The tires? Probably 0 if left on the rims.

Anyone already buying a model 3 would already have a set of wheels/tires that came on the car... unless they need a second set... in which case the only reason they'd want them would be to throw seasonal tires on... in which case the tires on yours are literally worthless to them....

I think you'd get more $ separating them- so you can sell the wheels to a model 3 owner wanting to run seasonal tires (but you appear to live southeast of LA- so dunno how many local buyers you'll find even then- maybe someone who takes a lot of roadtrips to ski in the winter?)... and you can sell the tires to some other sucker with a different car with worn out tires who isn't aware how mediocre all-season tires are...

(that second one is the type of buyer I'll be looking for when I swap summers on my 18s post-delivery)

3. Fusion

Fusion Member

$800-1000 for a new set. That's how much they are pretty much selling in the used market for take offs right now.

4. WallyP

WallyP Member

Upon delivery I immediately swapped my 18" aeros for 19" aftermarket turbines. Here's how it worked out:

Cost:
    TST 19" Turbines $1550
    19" Pirelli P-Zero Nero plus certificates and mounting $1064

Rebate:
    Pirelli mail-in rebate $80
    18" Michelin trade-ins $360
    18" Aero rims sold on E-Bay net of shipping $700

Net cost: $1474

The net result was a cost less than the Tesla OEM 19" or 20" sport options, but with the turbine look of the Model X and S wheels. The wheels are definitely heavier than the Aeros so I do take a noticeable hit in mileage range, but that's the price to pay with any sport wheel options.