Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Value of used 2018 RWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all:

I have a lead on a used Model 3, 2018 RWD, VIN: 5YJ3E1EA5JF157xxx.
However, since it's at a non-Tesla Dealership, I don't feel I can count on their information as to if it is a Standard, Medium or Long range version.
I _MAY_ visit it on Monday, but in case I do not:

* Is there either a VIN lookup I can do, OR a relevant, simple question that I can ask the salespeople to do/lookup for me?
* Where can I go to look for the original price that Tesla wanted for it? (i.e.: It's now a discontinued model)
* What is a fair price today? (given mileage offsets)

Thanks, that will help me if I go there tomorrow. Maybe even if I talk to sales people on the phone.
But, is there a way to do a VIN lookup on the topic of battery size?

Vin lookup tools for model 3s have been proven to be somewhat inaccurate, so no, I would not recommend trying to do a vin lookup. for "recommended pricing" you would be better off looking at the "tesla for sale" section of this board where people are trying to sell these cars. There are people in that section who actively post in peoples "for sale" threads telling others their pricing is not accurate, so I figure they must know what fair pricing is.

I dug a little deeper in the listing, and found this:
  • Hybrid traction battery all electric range: 260 miles
  • Hybrid traction battery capacity (kWh): 75
---

Here's what they want (1100 miles):

Detailed Pricing
  • MSRP $46,888
  • Dealership Discount* $444
  • Dealership Price $46,444
Do these prices seem high, low or right on?

---

Detailed Pricing
  • MSRP $46,888

Not enough information. EAP or FSD? I'm skeptical about RWD, 260 mile range and 75 kWh battery on the same car--if it's LR, the battery size is correct, but that range is really, really low. Especially for only 1,100 miles. Overall guess: it's overpriced and/or brain-damaged.

I think 260 miles range was what the mid range cars came with (limited edition mid range). If I was the OP there is no way in $@#Q%!$ I would consider a used tesla without going to go see it. No real easy way to see whether it has EAP or FSD either. You would need either the monroney sticker that came with it, or a screenshot from inside the car's web account showing the features attached to the car.

one thing you could ask the owner to do is charge the car to 100% and send you a screenshot from the cars charging screen showing 100% charge and mileage at that charge.

Hello all:

However, since it's at a non-Tesla Dealership, I don't feel I can count on their information as to if it is a Standard, Medium or Long range version.

* Is there either a VIN lookup I can do, OR a relevant, simple question that I can ask the salespeople to do/lookup for me?
* Where can I go to look for the original price that Tesla wanted for it? (i.e.: It's now a discontinued model)

Side question: 292? :)

Reactions: jsmay311
Hello all:

I thought about doing the same myself through Carvana and after much back and forth found used Tesla's are horrifically overpriced. To be honest most dealers (not just Carvana) have no idea what they have, it's a Tesla therefore it's worth $$$. Go new as the price new vs used ends up being an all round better deal plus the tax credit. New means you won't have to worry about what the previous owner or dealer did or didn't do to that battery and/or software or fear something unknown now was done that could in any way have voided the warranty.

Reactions: Dr. J and dandrewk
I thought about doing the same myself through Carvana and after much back and forth found used Tesla's are horrifically overpriced. To be honest most dealers (not just Carvana) have no idea what they have, it's a Tesla therefore it's worth $$$. Go new as the price new vs used ends up being an all round better deal plus the tax credit. New means you won't have to worry about what the previous owner or dealer did or didn't do to that battery and/or software or fear something unknown now was done that could in any way have voided the warranty.

Agreed here. Currently Model 3 used prices are through the roof. This is great for current owners, but I wouldn't expect that trend to continue. Not at current prices anyway.

Reactions: George75
---

Detailed Pricing
  • MSRP $46,888

A new LR AWD - more than you are looking at there, is $48,490 plus tax. Since you would get an $1875. tax credit, it really is $46,615 plus tax. That is only $171. more than the used one you are looking at.

Unless it's FSD or something like that, it's really not worth another look. The dealer is looking to score.

The used market should firm up a bit in January once the tax credit completely phases out since used sellers will not be competing with the federal tax credit on new car purchases. I believe the current market for used Model 3’s is too high, but maybe close to where they should be once the tax credit is off the table.

Opie here...

Stopped by, looked at it.
The "About your Tesla" screen did say "MID RANGE".
There was not reference on any screen that I could notice, of "FSD" having been installed and/or paid for.
(I've not yet tried asking the local Tesla store to look it up.)
The software was v9.0 (2019.8.4 530d1d3).
The 12 volt battery needed to be replaced or "serviced".
It has been sitting on the lot for a LONG time; most of their customers want all wheel drive and/or a model S.
There was 245 miles on the battery, at what looked like around a 90% charge.

Anyone want to speculate on a fair price?

I can't remember their prices, but I _THINK_ they have a price of $46.6K online and $49.xK in person (This needs a double-check).

Just my personal opinion, were I in your shoes:

-You have a MR vehicle that's got 17,000 miles on it
-A bad 12V suggesting it's been sitting for quite some time, and it's running software outdated by ~7.5 months which also suggests it hasn't been used much lately.
-Original range on the MR was, I believe, 265 miles.

They are asking $46,600.

You can, today, order a brand-new SR+ with < 50 miles on it, a range of 250 miles, pearl multi-coat white paint, base AP, for... checks notes $40,690 including destination fee. Subtract $1875 federal credit and you're at $38,815.

Granted, there are a few perks to the MR (I believe MR had the full premium interior, right? While an SR+ would have partial premium). But you've also got a ton of things in favor of new--you're not missing a third of your warranty, the car hasn't been owned by anyone else, there's no degradation out of the gate, you've got Tesla with the learnings and improvements from around 300,000 more Model 3s produced since that one, and, oh, you save over $7k.

Further, for what they're asking, you can instead order a new LR AWD for almost the same price. ($48490 + $1200 - $1875 = $47,815). With no compromises at all and > 50 miles additional range, plus AWD.

IMO, they either need to come way down (like at least $5k down) or I wouldn't touch that car with a ten-foot pole.

Just my personal opinion, were I in your shoes:

-You have a MR vehicle that's got 17,000 miles on it

Uh, Noooo.
It has 1,096 miles on it.

But I agree as to the price cut.
The questions are:
* What should my initial offer be? and
* What would I settle for?

They said they have recently had 5 Teslas in for trade-ins, but the others were Model S' and/or AWD.
This one's been there a long time.

Zaxxon's $5,000 number seems to be a minimum price cut.
I want to get FSD, so that's another $7,000 I'll be paying for.
Hmmmm...
(scratches head)