Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Value of used Tesla after 7500 tax rebate ends?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello - been looking at purchasing. What are your thoughts on the value of a used Tesla after the federal tax credit of 7500 comes to an end?

Would the value go up because the difference in a new one vs a used one is greater?

It's a car - they only go in one direction - down.

Just buy one and never look back..you will be very happy that you did.

Also welcome to the forum, i didn't realize this was your inaugural post.. I hope to see you on here more in the future!

Last edited:
I believe that as soon as the rebates end, the resale value will go up slightly on used Teslas. It will not be much, but when I purchased mine, it made no sense to buy used unless I could get it for $10k less than new since I got a $2,500 CA and $7,500 federal rebate.

New was $80k, and I could not find a single used Model X under $70k in my area.

If those rebates did not exist, I might have gone used if I found one for $75-77k if I found exactly what I was looking for.

So I believe they will go up slightly but in the grand scheme of things it won't make much of a difference.

With the Model 3 it's already playing a role in the lack of depreciation of a used Model 3.

Part of why people are willing to pay full retail for a used Model 3 is those buyer aren't expecting to be able to get the tax credit. I'm even thinking of buying a new Model 3 before I really wanted to just to get the tax credit.

The tax credit ending will add a temporary bump to the value.

I say temporary because the tax credit won't end for other manufactures. Other manufactures like Audi are just going to get started when the Tesla one ends.

Due to how it ends means it's always going to act to lower the value of a used electric car until the tax credit ends for the majority of manufactures.

The other thing that will act to dampen the value is the technical innovation. Once the Model 3 is readily available it will dampen the resale of the Model S due to the Model 3's superior range/price. The free supercharging of the Model S can only go so far in preventing this.

Now keep in mind any self driving stuff is a complete game changer. I don't expect this to happen anytime soon, but if it does it will quickly push up the value of any used car that's capable of it.

Sadly for now it's going to be fairly high depreciation on electric cars as we go from one revision of "fully self-driving capable" to another revision of "Yes, this time it's really going to be self driving capable". So it's just going to be a matter of whether you get the car where it really happens on.

Last edited:
Up sightly but really only the newer ones because as others noted, a used car value only guess in one direction. Only slightly because the credit doesn't end, it gets cut in half for 6 months then half again for 6 more. So maybe the value holds up a bit better for longer but not something you could bank on. Slightly improved demand as well, but model 3 could eat into that.