Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Value of your car after upgrades - MCU2, HW3, New Battery, Etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The source of my question comes from my interest in the MCU2 upgrades that are beginning to be offered, but it really expands further than that. In my case if someone sees a 2017 Model X they assume it comes with MCU1, AP HW2, and has however many miles are on the battery. But if I change the MCU, Autopilot hardware and put a new battery in the car my 2017 model is practically a 2020 model now.

My hesitation in getting the MCU2 upgrade is in a few years when I am ready to get a new car my 2017 Model X will only be valued as having a MCU1. The MCU2 is only $2,500 but I am told a new 100kw battery is over $10,000. When trading in a car there is no check box for "installed a new battery".

My question for you is wondering what if any upgrades you have done to your car and what the justification may be for how you feel it effects the value of your car in the used market.

The source of my question comes from my interest in the MCU2 upgrades that are beginning to be offered, but it really expands further than that. In my case if someone sees a 2017 Model X they assume it comes with MCU1, AP HW2, and has however many miles are on the battery. But if I change the MCU, Autopilot hardware and put a new battery in the car my 2017 model is practically a 2020 model now.

My hesitation in getting the MCU2 upgrade is in a few years when I am ready to get a new car my 2017 Model X will only be valued as having a MCU1. The MCU2 is only $2,500 but I am told a new 100kw battery is over $10,000. When trading in a car there is no check box for "installed a new battery".

My question for you is wondering what if any upgrades you have done to your car and what the justification may be for how you feel it effects the value of your car in the used market.
Try over 20k. >20k has been price for 85/90.