Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Values on used model 3s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everyone,

Looking in the market now for a used model 3. Prices seem to be all over the place. Is there a good way to check for sold values on cars? One recently popped up not too far from me that is a 2018 RWD LR with FSD for 45k with 20kish miles. Does this seem like a good deal for one with FSD purchased? As far as I can tell it seems to fully transfer to the new owner?

How big of a difference is 2019 vs 2018? I know I read that some of the earlier vins have had issues, but wondering if it is something serious or if just having the warranty would be fine.

Thanks for any advice!

FSD will transfer with private party sales even if it was purchased after the original sale.

I purchased a used 2018 LR DM from a private party in NJ. He purchased FSD when Tesla ran a sale and it transferred to me, no issues.

• Informative
Reactions: mrau
Everything I have read or seen says FSD transfers with the car for private party sales.

IMHO the confusion comes when buying a used car from Tesla its self.

They can remove FSD from the car before they re-sell it. But it should be clear to the buyer if it has it or not. They cannot go by historical data that the car did / didn't have it at one time. just if it has it when Tesla sells it to them used.

• Informative
Reactions: GZDongles
Everything I have read or seen says FSD transfers with the car for private party sales.

IMHO the confusion comes when buying a used car from Tesla its self.

They can remove FSD from the car before they re-sell it. But it should be clear to the buyer if it has it or not. They cannot go by historical data that the car did / didn't have it at one time. just if it has it when Tesla sells it to them used.

Yup- you'll want to see a paid receipt of some kind for FSD to trust it (on the window sticker or otherwise)

If the car ever passes back to Tesla hands they can remove it (and sometimes take a while to do it which can look shady but is just internal IT incompetence)- and if it was ever added without it being paid for (a trial that got stuck, some kinda goodwill gesture, etc) it can be removed at any time.

But paid FSD goes with the car for sure unless ownership passes back to Tesla.

Reactions: C141medic
Looking in the market now for a used model 3. Prices seem to be all over the place. Is there a good way to check for sold values on cars? One recently popped up not too far from me that is a 2018 RWD LR with FSD for 45k with 20kish miles.
Does this seem like a good deal for one with FSD purchased? As far as I can tell it seems to fully transfer to the new owner?
Did the seller got the Full FSD 3.0 updated computer before selling the car.

Note: You can check the FSD firmware by going to Settings -> Software and under the Vehicle Mileage there is a link for "Additional Information."

For reference i was quoted a trade in value of $47k on my 2018 P3D+ at 26k miles (~$80k MSRP at the time of purchase prior to incentives etc.).

You should definitely aim for an AWD vehicle in you're looking to spend $45-50k used. Performances are likely to still go for $50k+ private party since the quote I mentioned was a trade-in value which is significantly less usually.