Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Valve Stem Caps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A valve stem cap has been lost and it seems like Tesla has a nice aluminum cap with a gasket. I have not had much luck in finding a replacement. Has anyone had any luck in finding a replacment cap? I am sure I am not the first owner to have one gone missing.

A valve stem cap has been lost and it seems like Tesla has a nice aluminum cap with a gasket. I have not had much luck in finding a replacement. Has anyone had any luck in finding a replacment cap? I am sure I am not the first owner to have one gone missing.

Here you go, Your choice of colors!

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=aluminum+valve+stem+caps&tag=googhydr-20&index=automotive&hvadid=19567103147&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17540034821305946146&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_3jyv7xr0fh_e

I saw those and I am not sure they quite fit the bill. The chrome caps with a gasket have several comments about how the caps corrode to the valve stems. Some of the Al ones says they are just covers over standard rubber caps and another said they can't be used with aluminum valve stems which is what I think the Roadster uses. Maybe I am over analyzing but not sure many of these would do more damage than good.

But thanks to the link I think I found the right ones, but the minimum quantity is 50.

TPMS Aluminum Sealing Valve Cap - 50 Pcs. by Dorman - OE Solutions (part#609-131)

Here's half the price and free shipping on eBay. You still get 50... sell them a buck a pop back on ebay and make more than double your money back. Just make sure to offer discounts for TMC the members you know ;) ...they'll make great Xmas gifts too!

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Valve Cap Dorman 609-131 | eBay

Here's the direct seller's profile in case the link above expires... which it will.

http://myworld.ebay.com/ecaronline/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

Couple of dollars more on Amazon for 50 (Free Prime shipping):

Amazon.com: Dorman 609-131 Aluminum Tire Valve Caps - Pack of 50: Automotive

Last edited:
I guess I did not want to bother Tesla as I save them for bigger things, like the lumbar air bladder in my seat will not hold air. With the closest store 410 miles away I just can't drop by. But I bought them on e-bay so I have plenty to sell if others need any. I should be able to do $5 for aset of 4 domestically. Thank you Wiztecy!!

Is there anything to using plastic caps with TMPS systems? A few people have posted that you're not supposed to use metal caps with TMPS stems, something about them fusing. Not sure if that's true or not.

"I think so and will let you know in a week. "

I have a 1.5 which shipped with the aluminum TMPS caps, the picture on ebay and other sites look very identical to the stock ones and they are spec'd to be used with the TMPS system.

When you get the 50 looks like you already have a market to sell the extras to, all the 2.0 Roadsters owners who have the plastic caps :)

I'll be making an order for one set, good to have an extra spare. I was also worried about misplacing one of those little guys.

Last edited:
Is there anything to using plastic caps with TMPS systems? A few people have posted that you're not supposed to use metal caps with TMPS stems, something about them fusing. Not sure if that's true or not.

The valve stem caps are the actual air seal. They are not supposed to be just a dust cover. The valve core is just a convenience feature to allow you to check the pressure without losing the air. I don't see how metal caps could "fuse" anything unless there is a problem with the TMPS system, but if you're concerned there are bakelite caps that also seal (and they are a bit easier to remove because they have a larger diameter).

Thanks. Not really concerned with it, just saw numerous comments about that on Amazon when I was looking into it. Seems strange that that's even possible. I have the plastic ones so will simply keep those until I loose one and need to replace it.

Well I received the new valve stem caps. They are silimar to what was on the 1.5 Roadster but they are not identical. But they are Dorman Al caps with a rubber washer. You can see in the attached picture where the original is on the left and the new is on the right. They fit and work with the TPS. So if you want 4 send me a note with your address and I will ship out for for $5 for as long as supplies last. I will accept a check or PayPal
Tesla_02.JPG

Last edited: