Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Valve Stem Reapir Kit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well one of my valve stems got damaged when installing new wheels. Tesla says there is no repair kit available and I must buy a TPMS sensor. This strikes me as insane as valve stem repair kits are available for just about everything. 2021 M3P. Any links?

Edit -yes I know I misspelled Repair. Moving to fast.

Yeah I mean lots of other brands have a way to just fix the valve stem. So maybe but this is unusual.
Saying this cautiously, ye typical valve stem has this spring-loaded thingy with a dinky o-ring that has screw threads on the outside (Schreader valve). With the right tool, one can unscrew a leaky one of these and put in a new one, something I’ve done on $RANDOM cars and the occasional bicycle over the years. And an auto parts store calls this a “repair kit”.
Then there’s the hunk of rubber and all that has the actual, no-kidding valve stem that fits onto the metal wheel. Bust off the rubber/metal stem and you need a new one. For a non-TPMS car, I’m pretty sure these are relatively cheap, but I’m guessing the tire has to come off so one can do the replacement.
On a TPMS-based car, that hunk of rubber and stem is replaced by electronics, a pressure gauge, and an integral valve stem. Bust the stem off this stuff and you need to replace the whole shooting match, and it’s not cheap. If some repair guy did the damage, then they’re responsible and should pay for it.

Uhhh...you misspelled too too
No. I didn’t. Lol. That usage of “to” was correct.
Saying this cautiously, ye typical valve stem has this spring-loaded thingy with a dinky o-ring that has screw threads on the outside (Schreader valve). With the right tool, one can unscrew a leaky one of these and put in a new one, something I’ve done on $RANDOM cars and the occasional bicycle over the years. And an auto parts store calls this a “repair kit”.
Then there’s the hunk of rubber and all that has the actual, no-kidding valve stem that fits onto the metal wheel. Bust off the rubber/metal stem and you need a new one. For a non-TPMS car, I’m pretty sure these are relatively cheap, but I’m guessing the tire has to come off so one can do the replacement.
On a TPMS-based car, that hunk of rubber and stem is replaced by electronics, a pressure gauge, and an integral valve stem. Bust the stem off this stuff and you need to replace the whole shooting match, and it’s not cheap. If some repair guy did the damage, then they’re responsible and should pay for it
It’s just a leaky valve. It wasn’t busted off or anything.

We’ll you said “got damaged.” To most people, a leaking valve stem wouldn’t be considered “damaged.”

Where is it leaking? If it’s just the valve itself, just replace it yourself. If it’s the valve stem/wheel seal, the tire shop needs to fix it, regardless. What’s the issue here?

Reactions: rpiotro
75 bucks for a new TPMS unit? Dude, you're getting off cheap. I have 2 bad TPMS sensors on my F150 and they're $250 EACH.

Fixed the problem myself, though. Bought a $10 tire gauge, which I use to check my tire pressure once a month, and already had the black electrical tape, a piece of which I put over the little flashing orange light on my dashboard.

• Funny
Reactions: medphys3
We’ll you said “got damaged.” To most people, a leaking valve stem wouldn’t be considered “damaged.”

Where is it leaking? If it’s just the valve itself, just replace it yourself. If it’s the valve stem/wheel seal, the tire shop needs to fix it, regardless. What’s the issue here?
Yeah my bad. It’s leaking. Tesla does not sell a repair kit. Tire shop said the parts they ordered were not compatible. Tesla said new TPMS or bust.

Yeah my bad. It’s leaking. Tesla does not sell a repair kit. Tire shop said the parts they ordered were not compatible. Tesla said new TPMS or bust.
OK. Now that we got ourselves a leaking Schraeder (sp?) valve, let's see what we can see.
Went to Advanced Auto. Name of the widget is a "valve core". There was a search to look based upon the car type. Put in my Tesla M3, 2018. Here's the link. It's $20.
Next question?
Admittedly, a little double-checking at the counter might be in order. And the TPMS valve cores aren't the same as the ones I spoke about, above, and are definitely more expensive. But there's sure not over $100 or anything.
The part looks bog-standard as far as the tool required to get it out of there. In my tool box with its collection of junk from who knows when I probably have a couple of those rattling around in the dirt. They're cheap.

OK. Now that we got ourselves a leaking Schraeder (sp?) valve, let's see what we can see.
Went to Advanced Auto. Name of the widget is a "valve core". There was a search to look based upon the car type. Put in my Tesla M3, 2018. Here's the link. It's $20.
Next question?
Admittedly, a little double-checking at the counter might be in order. And the TPMS valve cores aren't the same as the ones I spoke about, above, and are definitely more expensive. But there's sure not over $100 or anything.
The part looks bog-standard as far as the tool required to get it out of there. In my tool box with its collection of junk from who knows when I probably have a couple of those rattling around in the dirt. They're cheap.
Thanks. I think the confusion is no one is sure what will work and not work with the M3P but if I don’t need the full TPMS that would be best. The tire shop seemed to think the part doesn’t exist for the 2021 m3p.

Thanks. I think the confusion is no one is sure what will work and not work with the M3P but if I don’t need the full TPMS that would be best. The tire shop seemed to think the part doesn’t exist for the 2021 m3p.
On the older TPMS sensors you can definitely replace the valve stem separately from the module that houses the battery and electronics. Tesla's older 433MHz TPMS sensors used a spring clip to hold in the valve stem which was one of the two common ways to do it (the spring clip or a screw). From pictures that I've seen, the new Tesla Bluetooth TPMS sensors like the one that is used in your car use valve stems held on by a screw. So it should be easy to find a replacement (tire places probably have spare ones on hand in case they damage them). Go to a tire place (not Tesla) and ask them if they can replace the leaky valve stem on your TPMS sensor. Ask them to match the color if you want all 4 valve stems to be black, otherwise they might put on a grey one.

By the way, the valve stem is attached to the sensor electronics module, but only out of convenience. It's not critical that they remain attached. You can get a regular rubber valve stem put into the wheel and get a TPMS sensor mounting band that straps the electronics module to the inside of the wheel.

Here's an example of what you need, but you want black (all the newer Tesla Bluetooth TPMS sensors that I see in pics have black stems). https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07M73TY6Z/

Reactions: medphys3
On the older TPMS sensors you can definitely replace the valve stem separately from the module that houses the battery and electronics. Tesla's older 433MHz TPMS sensors used a spring clip to hold in the valve stem which was one of the two common ways to do it (the spring clip or a screw). From pictures that I've seen, the new Tesla Bluetooth TPMS sensors like the one that is used in your car use valve stems held on by a screw. So it should be easy to find a replacement (tire places probably have spare ones on hand in case they damage them). Go to a tire place (not Tesla) and ask them if they can replace the leaky valve stem on your TPMS sensor. Ask them to match the color if you want all 4 valve stems to be black, otherwise they might put on a grey one.

By the way, the valve stem is attached to the sensor electronics module, but only out of convenience. It's not critical that they remain attached. You can get a regular rubber valve stem put into the wheel and get a TPMS sensor mounting band that straps the electronics module to the inside of the wheel.

Here's an example of what you need, but you want black (all the newer Tesla Bluetooth TPMS sensors that I see in pics have black stems). https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07M73TY6Z/

This is excellent information. I had no idea you could repair these... thanks!

Well one of my valve stems got damaged when installing new wheels. Tesla says there is no repair kit available and I must buy a TPMS sensor. This strikes me as insane as valve stem repair kits are available for just about everything. 2021 M3P. Any links?

Edit -yes I know I misspelled Repair. Moving to fast.
I just fixed two of these on my 2021 M3 SR+ with the kit from NAPA autoparts. Part number 92-0447, it says it will not fit Tesla, but it does. $10 instead of $150

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221115-105146_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221115-105146_Chrome.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 281
Reactions: KenC