Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vampire battery drain while parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my model 3 is losing over 20 miles while I’m parked at work for 8 hours. I arrive the battery is at 160 mi and by the time I’m off work it’s 135. I turned off sentry and overheat protection, closed the Tesla App on my phone. Is there a reason this is happening and/or a way to fix it?

No it does not do anything at typically observed temperatures. Relatively warm above 0F probably nothing at all.

You’d expect to see snow melt from something that averages 10W of power dissipation, focused in certain areas.

Now that I think of it, I am probably just catching it when the car is kicking on to charge the lead acid 12v and it turning on has nothing to do with the cold. I do end up with somewhat melted squares where I park on my driveway though. Maybe its residual heat from before I parked or snow not continuing to accumulate under the car like it is around it and I never really thought about it.

I am going to take the temperature of my battery in the cold and see if it's same as ambient one day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've been fighting this recently as well. For the past week, my car has been losing more than 1% per hour while parked at work.

Through discussions with tesla, they have narrowed it down to remote requests, but I don't have any. I was using the IOS widget for the battery, but have turned that off with no effect.

Last Friday was pretty cold (-20c), so Tesla wanted to blame it on that. Today, we're hovering right around 0c and my car used 4% in 3 hours.

No FSD, no accounts linked.

I'm thinking this must be a software issue, as last year in the same conditions I'd maybe lose 1% per day parked.

Upvote 0
I've been fighting this recently as well. For the past week, my car has been losing more than 1% per hour while parked at work.

Through discussions with tesla, they have narrowed it down to remote requests, but I don't have any. I was using the IOS widget for the battery, but have turned that off with no effect.

Last Friday was pretty cold (-20c), so Tesla wanted to blame it on that. Today, we're hovering right around 0c and my car used 4% in 3 hours.

I'm thinking this must be a software issue, as last year in the same conditions I'd maybe lose 1% per day parked.

Ignore what happens for the first 10 hours or so. Then check what happens subsequently. Will help determine if static or transient (BMS adjustment). So check after 10 hours, check after 20, 30, etc.

1% per hour is a minimum of 500W (750W for large pack). So it is not an idle/sleep problem.

If the car is dead silent with contactors open that of course points to BMS too.

Should be easy to figure out if normal or a bug or misconfigured.

Upvote 0
Just as an example of why to ignore the first few hours:

I gained 7 rated miles just sitting today, over 8 hours, as the temperature went from 64F to 60F. Car was in a parking structure.

So good to just ignore that stuff when it is the sort of thing that should be ignored (this is all made clear in the Energy App, which will tell you what you cannot ignore!).

Note that the energy app does not provide negative loss values. So if you gain miles it just says zero rather than negative values. To be fair, you need to count such instances as negative values over the long term to determine your actual vampire drain average. In this case, my car was producing 200W while parked (obviously not really).

You can see the historical shifts at each parking instance since the last charge by just looking at the energy vs. time since last charge.

305697EC-C04A-4288-A962-7F5113996B4A.jpeg

D4A290A3-D0C6-409B-9F38-F9CF304C6927.jpeg

2D8A2A91-836F-40D5-89B6-8685ECD83148.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: rrolsbe and GtiMart
Upvote 0
Interestingly, I am also losing about 10 to 15 miles of range overnight per the energy "parked" screen. I have sentry off at work and home and still see the issue. I'm beginning to agree this is a software issue as I never saw this previously. It's annoying, because I purchased this vehicle to be green. And wasting electricity while the car is parked is NOT green. Just like an ICE vehicle, there should be little to no loss of energy when the vehicle is sitting there doing nothing.

Upvote 0
Interestingly, I am also losing about 10 to 15 miles of range overnight per the energy "parked" screen. I have sentry off at work and home and still see the issue. I'm beginning to agree this is a software issue as I never saw this previously. It's annoying, because I purchased this vehicle to be green. And wasting electricity while the car is parked is NOT green. Just like an ICE vehicle, there should be little to no loss of energy when the vehicle is sitting there doing nothing.
It’s likely just a BMS adjustment if the energy screen says it is vehicle standby, and the car is sleeping. You’ll likely get it back at other times. Just keep an eye on those rated miles at each sleep cycle. Sometimes it goes up!

All averages out, and it is not more than 10W-15W or so average power (which is ridiculous but nothing like what you quote) when working properly.

There could be software bugs but jumps in energy up and down when stationary and sleeping are perfectly normal. Can be 5-15 rated miles.

Reactions: GtiMart
Upvote 0

I think it is a software issue...

I've had the MY for 3 years and it has never drained battery on park unless something was keeping it awake (sentry, 3rd party app, etc).
The car does go into Deep Sleep and still drains, there is some kind of issue that tesla is unaware of.

For everyone saying this is normal, sorry but you are wrong.

Reactions: Menabe
Upvote 0
You don't need to close the Tesla app on your phone. As long as you don't open it (show it on screen) it won't make any requests to the car. Do you use any other app or web site that has your Tesla credentials and calls the Tesla APIs?
That energy might not be consumed... It's possible that your battery cools down and the car simply reports that less energy can be extracted from your battery.
Not true, app have background usage

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230730_065531_Device care.png
    Screenshot_20230730_065531_Device care.png
    188.8 KB · Views: 70
Upvote 0
I'm talking about the car staying awake, not battery usage on the cell phone. I understand that applications on your phone may consume battery, even when in the background.
Yes, agree! But if the app in Android is constantly running on the background might be because it isconstantly checking the car, that's my point... In Android you can limit the background use of any app, might be a good idea to do that...

Upvote 0
Really? Appreciate you sharing, I'm a new Tesla owner.
I will keep my widget them, thanks
I can also confirm this. I recently left my car untouched while the phone up is running in the background for 36 hours. The car had been continuously asleep (as far as I could tell from non-wake API calls) until I brought the phone app foreground, and the car screen said battery drain was 0.5%.

Reactions: bckelowna
Upvote 0
Sometimes the sound doesn’t work on Sky Force just randomly which aggravates my 4 year-old to no end and the soft reset gets the sound back on.

Sky Force is my jam. When the sound doesn't work, just start a different game and then switch back to Sky Force. You don't have to wait for the other game to start, just a few seconds of loading to ensure Sky Force will be fully unloaded.

This method works reliably and is *much* faster than a soft reboot.

Upvote 0