Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vampire discharge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We could do with a definitive answer on this one. Mine is set for a 00:30 charge but if I leave it without use, and wake the car by using the app, it will do it's top up (as it did this morning at 09:00). Just to be clear, I didn't use the app to initiate the charge, I just opened the app and closed it without changing anything. Shortly afterwards I received a notification saying the car had charged at 9.00am (a tiny top-up). There must be somebody who has been away with the car plugged in but with no schedule set who can let us know if this does or doesn't affect things.
We leave our M3P plugged into a Tesla Wall Charger in the garage and sometimes it sits for up to a week unmoved. Sentry mode off but I do check the app at least once per day, so waking the car. Charge level is set to 90% and I do not use any scheduled charging options. My car will do periodic ad hoc top up charging to stay at the 90% charge it is set to.

Looks like I need to set it to charge at a fixed time to resolve the issue. I hadn't thought about doing that as I normaly use the car everyday, just plug it in when I get home and by morning its charged. If I set it to charge at say 8pm and I don't get in till 9pm will it sit plugged in all night without charging? Conversely if its set to charge at 8pm and I'm in early at 2pm presumably it won't start to charge until 8pm.

That said I imagine you can simply override that by pressing the charge button on arrival... so not realy an issue?

Looks like I need to set it to charge at a fixed time to resolve the issue. I hadn't thought about doing that as I normaly use the car everyday, just plug it in when I get home and by morning its charged. If I set it to charge at say 8pm and I don't get in till 9pm will it sit plugged in all night without charging? Conversely if its set to charge at 8pm and I'm in early at 2pm presumably it won't start to charge until 8pm.

That said I imagine you can simply override that by pressing the charge button on arrival... so not realy an issue?

You are correct in thinking if it has gone past the charge start time it will not normally charge until 24hrs later unless you initiate manually. It may possibly do something different if the times are close ... it's an issue that hasn't affected me because I ask it to start charging at 00:30 which gives plenty of time for charging by morning.

We leave our M3P plugged into a Tesla Wall Charger in the garage and sometimes it sits for up to a week unmoved. Sentry mode off but I do check the app at least once per day, so waking the car. Charge level is set to 90% and I do not use any scheduled charging options. My car will do periodic ad hoc top up charging to stay at the 90% charge it is set to.
If you are leaving for long periods I would consider dropping that charge level to 70. 90 is ok if you are planning to drive but holding for long periods at 90 is anecdotally a bit high for Long term battery health. There was actually one user on the forum who said they got a message in the car from the car to that effect after doing it consistently though that is the first and only time I have heard of that happening.

Thanks everyone very helpful. I didn't think I needed to set the fixed time charge as I don't keep regular hours, however thinking about it, it's obviously a useful fall back if I'm away and easily over ridden by pressing charge on the phone. I have also turned off the sentry mode and will only turn it back on when specifically needed.

Thanks everyone very helpful. I didn't think I needed to set the fixed time charge as I don't keep regular hours, however thinking about it, it's obviously a useful fall back if I'm away and easily over ridden by pressing charge on the phone. I have also turned off the sentry mode and will only turn it back on when specifically needed.

I'm not sure what setting the time brings to the party other than something else to not go according to plan. We just plug in and let it start (we are not on a off peak plan) and it starts there and then, and as I have posted, keeps things topped up as and when required.

As for turning off sentry mode, this can be done on a home and/or favorite basis, so you can keep sentry on, but it will automatically turn off at locations of your choice.

If you are leaving for long periods I would consider dropping that charge level to 70. 90 is ok if you are planning to drive but holding for long periods at 90 is anecdotally a bit high for Long term battery health. There was actually one user on the forum who said they got a message in the car from the car to that effect after doing it consistently though that is the first and only time I have heard of that happening.
Thanks -- I have been thinking about reducing the level and have just reduced it down to 80%. The 90% was based on the advice given by Tesla during collection. I was told leaving it on 90% and keeping it plugged in was the recommended best practice (it was set to 90% and charged up when I took delivery). But given the conflicting information on the various forums I guess it is safer to err on the side of caution. If we go away and I know it will sit for more than a week or so I will back it down further.