Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vampire drain—5% after 12 hours??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018.42.2 on a late-2014 85. Scheduled charging started at 10pm last night at 36% and completed at 1am at 60%. At 1pm (still plugged in) it was down to 55%. I’ve never seen this much vampire drain—I have seen maybe 1-2% over 24 hours max. It was parked in my garage which stays at around 75 degrees during this time of the year and climate control and smart preconditioning is off. I didn’t check the car on the app at all and the key was kept away from it as well.

Do you use any API-connected service like TeslaFi.com?

I'm seeing increased vampire drain on my MS90D too these last days, I'm currently disabling the TeslaFi.com reporting in order to see if that's what is draining my battery or if there's something else.

I have had to give up on TeslaFi. My newer car with the Intel MCU has no discreet Energy Savings options any more (supposed to be "automatic") but I tried every trick, tip and setting to allow the car to sleep to no avail. Since disconnecting TeslaFi, my 24 hour vampire loss has dropped to about 1 or 2% from the 6% it had been.

2018.42.2 on a late-2014 85. Scheduled charging started at 10pm last night at 36% and completed at 1am at 60%. At 1pm (still plugged in) it was down to 55%. I’ve never seen this much vampire drain—I have seen maybe 1-2% over 24 hours max. It was parked in my garage which stays at around 75 degrees during this time of the year and climate control and smart preconditioning is off. I didn’t check the car on the app at all and the key was kept away from it as well.
Immediately after charging stops, I sometimes see a larger initial drop than after. This started happening not long ago, my guess is the estimation software changed or my battery has aged, or maybe the batteries show higher voltage when warm from charging and when they cool off, they drop a little. Not something I would worry about. Interestingly, sometimes when I park in the sun during the summer, I've caught the car gaining range by 1 mile (and no, I don't have any solar panels).

I'm seeing increased vampire drain on my MS90D too these last days, I'm currently disabling the TeslaFi.com reporting in order to see if that's what is draining my battery or if there's something else.

No, I don’t use any API connected services and all doors and trunks were closed. Still puzzled about that specific occurrence. It has since drained about 3% per day while I’ve been on vacation. It used to be about 1%/day but it’s difficult to determine when this changed since Tesla had my car from April-September. I doubt the battery has degraded in that time—it’s more likely due to a software change.

Also having the same problem and it's fairly recent in the last month or so. 10% in just two days. Car is sitting at home in the garage. I DO use teslafi but have never had this kind of drain on my P85D when "always connected" is on.

Next thing is to turn that off and do a "power off" and see if that makes any difference.

Hey yesterday I found another setting that seems to help:
Disable Mobile Access ...it's under Safety menu. .there is a lot of collecting that Tesla does under the Mobile Access.
Biggest problem is if you disable the navigation does not get live traffic and App does not see Tesla

Seems to have reduced my vampire last night...but will collect more data as I plan to turn that off at night only.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jan Fiala
Disable Mobile Access definitely killed my vampire drain...lost only 1 miles overnight each last 3 nights even with frigid temps.
Only problem is you need to enable it back if you want to navigate and get traffic data.
Really? When did disable mobile access start disabling internet for navigation? For years it would just disable you phone app access, but you could still use the nav no problem.

I had never seen the disable mobile access before V9 but when I try to navigate a warning comes up that I am navigating without traffic data. I think it has to do with the 2nd of the settings relating to collecting video clips and data from the car which I had off too.

Also having the same problem and it's fairly recent in the last month or so. 10% in just two days. Car is sitting at home in the garage. I DO use teslafi but have never had this kind of drain on my P85D when "always connected" is on.

Next thing is to turn that off and do a "power off" and see if that makes any difference.

Shortly after this post, I got the 12 volt battery needs service. Once I replaced the battery the drain went back down to 1% a day.