Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vampire Drain after 2018.4.9?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, a few things get my attention. First, when you say BT I assume you are talking about BlueTooth? That has nothing to do with it because you probably just use BT to talk to your smartphone and any BT devices need to be within 10 meters (about 30 feet) of the car.

I presume you had to give them one of your fobs and they most likely have it very close to the car. Further, the settings in the car are probably not adjusted properly. You may want to tell us what you remember them being? (always connected? energy saving on?).

Lastly, there is no such thing as deep sleep. There is either sleep mode, awake, and full on (you in the car and turning it on).
That is a lot of wasted energy per day, so sounds like car settings are not in the best state. Also, close your app when you are finished checking on the car. Depending on what app you are using, you are likely waking up the car every time you use it, and it could take an hour or more for the car to go back into a sleep state, depending on other factors. Vampire drain. I wonder why everyone keeps using that term. ;-)

@FlyF4

This thread is about 2018.4.9, which is specific to a Model 3. It seems that all your responses are assuming we are talking about an S/X, which 2018.4.9 does not apply to as far as I know. S/X went from 2018.4.7 straight to 2018.6(.1). In fact, this is thread is in the Model 3 forum.

BlueTooth was mentioned because some people that the batteries are draining because they are too close to the car, and their phones were constantly locking/unlocking the car and opening/closing mirrors. Obviously, that's not the case for me since I'm no where near the car. So it DOES have something to do with it, just does not apply in my case.

A model 3 does not have Fobs, just the key card, so the keycard is not constantly locking and unlocking the car unless someone is actively doing that, which they aren't and wouldn't.

The Model 3 does not have any energy saving modes that a user can trigger at this time. So there is no "always connected" or "energy saving on".

As far as deep sleep, I meant that even if you don't enable energy saving modes on an S/X, at night, it will automatically go into energy saving mode (sleep). I was saying that the 3, does not seem to enter any kind of energy saving mode that saves energy any more than by day.

@FlyF4

This thread is about 2018.4.9, which is specific to a Model 3. It seems that all your responses are assuming we are talking about an S/X, which 2018.4.9 does not apply to as far as I know. S/X went from 2018.4.7 straight to 2018.6(.1). In fact, this is thread is in the Model 3 forum.

BlueTooth was mentioned because some people that the batteries are draining because they are too close to the car, and their phones were constantly locking/unlocking the car and opening/closing mirrors. Obviously, that's not the case for me since I'm no where near the car. So it DOES have something to do with it, just does not apply in my case.

A model 3 does not have Fobs, just the key card, so the keycard is not constantly locking and unlocking the car unless someone is actively doing that, which they aren't and wouldn't.

The Model 3 does not have any energy saving modes that a user can trigger at this time. So there is no "always connected" or "energy saving on".

As far as deep sleep, I meant that even if you don't enable energy saving modes on an S/X, at night, it will automatically go into energy saving mode (sleep). I was saying that the 3, does not seem to enter any kind of energy saving mode that saves energy any more than by day.
Thanks for the info. Actually, I wasn't making any assumptions, so glad you clear up about talking of the M3. Too early on a Sunday for my brain to work :)

I took delivery of my wife's M3 yesterday and decided to test the drains of the various cars under the same conditions (raining, temp in 50's, 12 hour cycle).

I took the readings at 630 last night and took the readings again at 630 this morning.

My M3 (2018.4.9) - 224 / 218
Wife M3 (2018.4.17) - 228 / 226 ( yes, first reference to this software version, but that is what is showing from her car—straight from the factory)
My MX (2018.6.1) 151 / 149

Normally my MX has the worst drain, but as you can see the 2018.4.9 has the worst drain. Hearing the latest software solves for this.

One mitigating factor that I don't know is an issue is that I got rear ended a couple weeks ago and am not sure whether that has an impact on drain. The car is going to the body shop today, so after that gets fixed, I can narrow it down to just the software (hopefully).
Interesting development in this. My car has been at the body shop for a bit over two weeks now(been waiting for parts). In anycase, at the beginning it was draining roughly 10-12 miles per day. The body shop disconnected all the electrical (apparently there is a cutoff they use when they are doing work) and recently reconnected after they disassembled the back half of the car. After they reconnected, my drain is down to about 2-4 miles per day. So either something about my car being rear ended or the full reboot of the system helped in the removal of the drain. My software is still on 2018.4.9. Will update more when I get my car back next week.

On a cellphone a Bluetooth chip draws 0.03mA in standby. When you are streaming music through a BT connection you can expect a power draw of 0.10mA to 0.15mA. Even if all of the entertainment system kept all of the multimedia electronics turned on it should not be draining power that can be noticeable by the user.

PS: I have no experience in EVs but have spent some time analyzing standby power of electronics/cellphones at work.

The issue isn’t just BT. 2018.4.9 has the car opening and closing vents and louvres the whole tone, lights flashing, and mechanical things moving around for no reason, this the battery drain.
Sorry, I was responding to the first post where they there was talk of turning off BT/Bluetooth to save power. Sure if the Phone/app is sending commands to the car to operate things, that can cause power drain. I guess I need to load a debug build on my Android phone and look at the ADB events.

Alternatively, one could put the phone in Airplane mode for a night and see if that makes any difference.

Has anyone figured out a way to access the logs from the CPU running Linux? I understand they are running a modified version of Ubuntu, it would be so cool if I can ssh into my car and view logs dynamically :)

For another data point, I never saw much vampire drain on 2018.4.9 or 2018.10.5 (maybe 0-2 miles per overnight), but I'm now on 2018.12.1 and I lost about 15 miles last night.

When I opened the Tesla app on my phone to check battery status this morning, it connected instantly (no "waking up" progress indicator), so even though the car was parked and "off", it was definitely on.

I saw
6-8 miles / 24 hours on 4.9
2-3 miles / 24 hours on 10.5
20-24 miles / 24 hours on 12.1 (almost never went to sleep
2-3 miles / 24 hours on 14.1
Can I set a battery level that the car needs to have by a certain time each morning?
Charge after 4am, and make sure there is 150miles range by 7am.
I dont want to lose so much in vampire drain, or be left with less than ideal juice.

Just to add another data point, my Model 3 was delivered with 2018.12.1 last week. I left it unplugged for 32 hours this weekend (11pm Saturday night until 7am this morning) and it lost 4 miles. This included a few deliberate wake ups to facilitate washing the car, including backing it into the driveway and returning it to the garage and unlocking from the phone to fold out the mirrors for cleaning.

Can I set a battery level that the car needs to have by a certain time each morning?
Charge after 4am, and make sure there is 150miles range by 7am.
I dont want to lose so much in vampire drain, or be left with less than ideal juice.
You still will lose in vampire drain, it will be only "hidden" behind the charge. Vampire drain process is a parallel process, happens all the time (including your driving time actually).
Update: I noticed something interesting, once I got 14.1, I'm losing about 1-2 miles after 12 hours at night, but by day, I might lose 8-12 miles within 12 hours, even though I'm not driving.
Was it hot outside?