TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Vampire Drain for Cars Long-awaiting Delivery?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by tyfosho, Aug 29, 2018.

1. tyfosho

tyfosho Member

Hi all,

Like many from Texas, I'm in the boat that my car has been manufactured since mid-July, and I'm still waiting to take delivery as my delivery dates are rescheduled, and then rescheduled again.

One of the thoughts I had was what is happening to the battery in my car sitting on a lot for a month and a half at this point. It seems like if the vampire drain is ~%2/day or so and the car wasn't at 100% battery when it rolled off the line (and it wouldn't be), then the battery may be in an extremely low condition by the time it arrives to Texas to charge.

I'm wondering how concerned I should be that I might have long-term effects from a deep discharge of the pack. What are y'all's thoughts on the matter?

Thanks!

2. hmerrill3

hmerrill3 Member

Had been wondering the same. It appears they are taking steps to charge them on the storage lots (intermodal rail terminals where they are stuck).
    Here's a photo of the setup at the OKC rail hub where several Austin bound cars have been stranded for some time.

Check out the Texas Hold up Thread,

3. BestHand

BestHand Member

I am not sure how difficult is to shut off main high voltage switches (in that case vampire drain would be close to zero). If it could be done easily entering special key which gives service center technicians access, Tesla could keep car long time with no charge. But I'm only guessing.

4. tyfosho

tyfosho Member

Yeah, Li-on batteries have a self-discharge rate so they'll still discharge even with nothing connected. I did some research though and although the intial month of discharge is steep (up to 20%), the following months are <10%. So theoretically they could last quite a while I guess!

5. BestHand

BestHand Member

tyfosho All batteries have a self-discharge, and Li-ion have very small comparing to other types. I have some Li-ion laying around for many month and show no discharge. So if high voltage battery is disconnected from any load, there are practically no drain.

6. Dinozero

Dinozero Member

Someone has said there is a “transport” mode they place the car in so that makes sense