Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vampire Drain for Cars Long-awaiting Delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Like many from Texas, I'm in the boat that my car has been manufactured since mid-July, and I'm still waiting to take delivery as my delivery dates are rescheduled, and then rescheduled again.

One of the thoughts I had was what is happening to the battery in my car sitting on a lot for a month and a half at this point. It seems like if the vampire drain is ~%2/day or so and the car wasn't at 100% battery when it rolled off the line (and it wouldn't be), then the battery may be in an extremely low condition by the time it arrives to Texas to charge.

I'm wondering how concerned I should be that I might have long-term effects from a deep discharge of the pack. What are y'all's thoughts on the matter?

Thanks!

I am not sure how difficult is to shut off main high voltage switches (in that case vampire drain would be close to zero). If it could be done easily entering special key which gives service center technicians access, Tesla could keep car long time with no charge. But I'm only guessing.

I am not sure how difficult is to shut off main high voltage switches (in that case vampire drain would be close to zero). If it could be done easily entering special key which gives service center technicians access, Tesla could keep car long time with no charge. But I'm only guessing.

Yeah, Li-on batteries have a self-discharge rate so they'll still discharge even with nothing connected. I did some research though and although the intial month of discharge is steep (up to 20%), the following months are <10%. So theoretically they could last quite a while I guess!