Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vampire drain, how much is normal per day or overnight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I have early 2013 MS60 (yes, still, yes original owner). Lately I have noticed a lot more vampire drain when the car is in the garage. For purposes of this thread, please note that I am combining all my observations relating to leaving the car overnight (unplugged), leaving the car parked in the garage for a day or two and also leaving the car parked/off for 3 weeks while away on a road trip (other car).

And this isn’t winter. Basically, I am seeing a power consumption of about 3 kWh per 24hrs when the car is parked/off. When I was away on the road trip, I left the car at 80% charged and it dropped to less than 20% charged in that 3-4 week time span.

What are other people seeing? Is this normal (or the new normal, because it was never like this before...)? If anyone thinks this power usage is unusual what are the potential issues?

Assuming 30 days ..2%/day ..doesn’t seem out of ordinary ...ur car is too old for sentry mode ..only other thing that sucks energy is cabin overheat and maybe if u have some third party app like TeslaFi ..

I have early 2013 MS60 (yes, still, yes original owner).
Boo-yah for the old folks. Mine is an early 2014.
Basically, I am seeing a power consumption of about 3 kWh per 24hrs when the car is parked/off. When I was away on the road trip, I left the car at 80% charged and it dropped to less than 20% charged in that 3-4 week time span.
Hmm, I would say no, that is getting toward not normal. 3 kWh on these would be about 9-10 rated miles. It should not be that high ever, and especially after it has gotten to sit more than the first 2+ days or so, when it should have gone into deeper sleep.

Assuming 30 days ..2%/day ..doesn’t seem out of ordinary
1 or 2% would be barely acceptable or ordinary only for the first day or two. Maybe it happened to be downloading maps or an update or something. I wouldn't question something like that for a day or two. But it should be sleeping harder than that longer term. He said three weeks, so in 21 days, it dropped from 80% to less than 20%. That's about 3% per day, and it definitely should not be that high for three straight weeks of off time.

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA
I forgot to mention this idea in my last comment, but it was in my mind. I just came across this comment in another thread.

"So-here's my two cents. May not be related to your problem. I've been noticing my phantom drain on my X too. It got a ton worse lately. I thought it was that I live in a cold climate, etc, but it's been high during the summer. Yes, I've disabled sentry, cabin overheat, etc etc. On my third party app, i was wayyyy hgher than like 99% of other cars for phantom drain.

And that's about when I got the notification on my car that my 12V battery needed replacing. Which tesla did (super fast, and via mobile service-had a great customer experience there!) and now - phantom drain greatly reduced. it's more what I would expect-1% ish at most."

Model X Phantom Drain

Thanks for these replies. Well, let me add some more info, because the 12 volt battery comment is really insightful. So, I had my 12 volt battery replaced in April. I actually had to wait 4 months for the part to come in, so I was pretty pissed. I was sending Tesla Service cheeky modified song lyrics and knock knock jokes. And to @Rocky_H’s point, my car was basically always on and running from the main battery pack all the time. All of this should have resolved after getting the new 12 volt battery. But none of it has resolved.

In my recent correspondence with Tesla SC they want to replace the eMMC1 TEGRA (I had also complained about needing to restart the MCU frequently). Basically, I am trying to figure out if replacing the eMMC1 is at all related to these power consumption issues, not going into deep sleep, the car constantly being awake and systems running... etc.

I think the MCU freezing was an update glitch that has since been resolved (at least, fingers crossed, it has not happened in a while after happening daily). I also have a pet theory that the long wait to get the 12 volt battery replaced was not harmless to the car and that something was happening during those long weeks before the battery was finally replaced.