Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vampire Drain in Houston without a tesla connector...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the usual vampire drain rate if a car is left unplugged for a long time? heres the deal…im in Houston and forgot my tesla connector charger….so the tesla store will allow me to borrow one for a month…

For the month of june, I will be in houston. But for the month of July, I will be traveling to asia and wont return until late July. I will leave the car in my parents house in July, and it wont be driven. It will be hot in the summer. I can either leave in a garage or outside. I suppose garage is better. After 30 days, if I turn off as many things as possible, if my car is charged to 220 miles, what will it be when I return. Is this horrible for the car? Should I do everything in my power to NOT let this happen?

if anyone in houston happens to have an extra connector that i can borrow, i would be so grateful and can leave some collateral with the good samaritan!

Thanks

Ec

if anyone in houston happens to have an extra connector that i can borrow, i would be so grateful and can leave some collateral with the good samaritan!
If you're able to use the App to check the charge halfway thru the month, I think you'll find you won't have an issue. If it's depleting frighteningly fast, I'll be happy to come by and hook your car up with a 2-day loaner (Private Message me). Even 110V in the garage will replenish the pack in a couple of days.

But a month shouldn't be a worry since it's not freezing cold...

• Helpful
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
If you're able to use the App to check the charge halfway thru the month, I think you'll find you won't have an issue. If it's depleting frighteningly fast, I'll be happy to come by and hook your car up with a 2-day loaner (Private Message me). Even 110V in the garage will replenish the pack in a couple of days.

But a month shouldn't be a worry since it's not freezing cold...

I was about to offer the same. I can't let you borrow it for the entire month but if you find that it is draining and you are somewhat nearby I'd be happy to pass by and let your parents top up your car. What part of Houston will you be in?

Bjorn left his for 27 days in the winter. He left it at 90%, it had 70% when he got back to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEPBkjmS2uE

In Controls -> Display, turn on "ENERGY SAVING" and turn off "Always connected". The more often you connect to it the more energy it will use.

Exactly. Charge it up and just leave it in Energy Saving mode. Mine was dropped off at the body shop with ~70% battery and it had ~50% left when I picked it up over a month later. I didn't even put it in Energy Saving mode, and didn't bother asking the shop to keep it charged. Have a nice trip, and don't worry about your car!

There is a missing element from your story here... are your parents going on the trip with you? Otherwise, wouldn't you want to be nice to your parents and let them drive it around while you are on your trip??? If that's the case, then you won't need to worry about vampire drainage... you'll need to worry about mom and dad draining it every single day while they are having fun. ;-)

@jlucero

I live in Houston as well and just got back from an international trip. My Tesla was kept garaged and I experienced about 1.3% vampire drain per day. I didn't even turn on energy savings mode. You'll be just fine. It was nice to be able to check the status of my charge while away, but wasn't really necessary.