Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vampire Drain is (almost) dead

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At 1 kWh/day, it still has the highest vampire drain of any BEV on the market as far as I can tell.

And the Model S is certainly the most sophisticated BEV on the market particularly in terms how how the software manages the health and status of the pack. It does not bother me at all that it uses more power to perform its housekeeping duties when unplugged.

And the Model S is certainly the most sophisticated BEV on the market particularly in terms how how the software manages the health and status of the pack. It does not bother me at all that it uses more power to perform its housekeeping duties when unplugged.
To be fair, the vampire drain seems to have everything to do with running things _other_ than the BMS.

The BMS itself does not appear to draw much energy and normally only needs to be active while the battery is being charged. When not being charged, it might only need to wake up every hour or so, and could be much less depending on conditions at the last status check.

To be fair, the vampire drain seems to have everything to do with running things _other_ than the BMS.

The BMS itself does not appear to draw much energy and normally only needs to be active while the battery is being charged. When not being charged, it might only need to wake up every hour or so, and could be much less depending on conditions at the last status check.

Yes, we second gen RAV4 EV owners don't see these drains and remember, we have a Tesla power pack too. (For example, owners have reported leaving it parked for two weeks at the airport and come back with no discernible loss.). And yet it watches for our key fob too (lighting up the interior as we approach, sensing a hand near the door handle to unlock), though presumably this hibernates after some number of days – haven't done the airport long term parking test with it yet, but glad to know I can without worry.

Here's the relevant thread:
http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=294&start=30

- - - Updated - - -

PLEASE STOP COMPARING THE MODEL S TO THE FORD THINK/LEAF/GOLFCART. C'mon guys.

Heh! I for one would and do expect more from Tesla. And so the comparisons are valid and helpful.

And golf cart my &$$! I'm speaking as a happy LEAF and RAV4 owner who cancelled my longheld Model S reservation after the test drive. Way too silly big for me! (And yet tight on headroom for me.) But I want to help Tesla improve their products now so that they can make the super-sporty, long range, all wheel drive, mid-size, efficient *and* high performance electric hatchback I want! (With headroom!) :tongue:

Last edited:
With all due respect, I highly doubt Tesla is looking for feedback from a Leaf/RAV4 owner.

Ha! Good grief! Seriously?! My, my...

I believe they're looking for feedback from all potential owners. I've certainly received occasional callbacks since I cancelled back in 2012. And of course plenty of us participate in the forums.

Last edited:
Ha! Good grief! Seriously?!

Yes, I'm serious but I mean no disrespect. Watch the Wall Street Journal interview of Elon Musk. He is not after people who are satisfied with a 100 mile electric vehicle for 30 - 40K. You are not his target buyer. Period.

You can come here talking all you want about buying a Model S and cancelling your order with complaints about things like lack of headroom but the fact is you have no intention of buying one since you are satisfied with a Leaf/RAV4. Very few people here would be satisfied with Leaf/RAV4, unless it was a second vehicle to a Tesla - but not to an ICE. So please, have fun with your RAV4 but don't try to tell Tesla that they can learn from you because you are not Tesla's targeted buyer.

I've certainly received occasional callbacks since I cancelled back in 2012.

I'm quite certain that everyone who ordered and cancelled got a call back. I highly doubt your reasons for cancellation were forwarded on to the design team.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm serious but I mean no disrespect. ... So please, have fun with your RAV4 but don't try to tell Tesla that they can learn from you because you are not Tesla's targeted buyer.
:rolleyes: Read those two sentences again and see if you don't hear some contradiction.

Tesla would be absolutely dumb to ignore potential customers. They need this feedback for their mass market EV. Conquest sales from existing EV owners should be the easiest sales to make. I know of many LEAF/RAV4-EV owners who only dream of buying a Tesla - and I also know of many LEAF/RAV4-EV owners who have actually gone out and bought a Tesla!

I don't own a Tesla - but if it was about $50k instead of $90k for the one I wanted, it would be in my garage instead of my LEAF (no, it would not replace my LEAF).

Back on topic: Vampire drain is a big issue when you are looking to sell millions of vehicles. It may not be a big issue for _all_ customers, but as a company who professes to sell a vehicle with a lower environmental footprint than their competition, losing 10-15% of your vehicle's overall efficiency to computers that can't go into low power mode is a big deal and low hanging fruit to tackle. (and yes - I find that I could use a bit more headroom in the rear seats of the Model S, too! The pano-roof helps, but doesn't completely eliminate the issue)

Leaf owner here and S order canceled. Still in the market for an S. So while Elon says things to the press - it is marketing pure and simple.

I have a Leaf and an ICE. The S would replace the ICE - it isn't the same as buying a Leaf.

Heck the vampire drain was the final straw for me.

I don't know the stats, but I suspect the majority of Leaf owners could afford a Model S.

Really the vampire drain is pretty much gone. Unlike other cars, the Model S gets updated frequently and just gets better the longer you have it.

Almost gone != Over 1 kWh per day ~ >= 41.6W standby. That's Dish DVR bad. It's also about 7% of my current non-car* electricity use.

I absolutely understand people wanting to wait until it's squashed. I certainly wouldn't buy any car with that kind of standby drain. It's not inherent to PEVs which means it's a problem that still needs to be fixed. Clearly, Tesla has worked on improving the drain and importantly have cut it enough that plugging into 120V can maintain the charge but it can't stop with 5.8.

* Volt, operating as an inefficient, expensive hybrid until mid-January when we'll get the garage power back on.

Almost gone != Over 1 kWh per day ~ >= 41.6W standby. That's Dish DVR bad. It's also about 7% of my current non-car* electricity use.

I absolutely understand people wanting to wait until it's squashed. I certainly wouldn't buy any car with that kind of standby drain. It's not inherent to PEVs which means it's a problem that still needs to be fixed. Clearly, Tesla has worked on improving the drain and importantly have cut it enough that plugging into 120V can maintain the charge but it can't stop with 5.8.

* Volt, operating as an inefficient, expensive hybrid until mid-January when we'll get the garage power back on.

How do you compare the garage power in Watts vs the 41.6W standby of the car ?

Really the vampire drain is pretty much gone. Unlike other cars, the Model S gets updated frequently and just gets better the longer you have it.

When I canceled my reservation, it wasn't.

Now the Tesla is getting worse with updates so I am on hold again - higher ride height, slower charging.

If it is 41 watts now, I can live with that. The Leaf has zero or nearly zero of course.

I own a Roadster and to me the vampire drain is still a significant issue. The Model S uses more than 4x the power just to sit there. I am glad they improved it but they are still way above average on this issue.

I can drive my Roadster over 1000 miles/yr on just the Model S vampire losses. To me efficiency is the number 1 reason I drive electric.

Last edited: