Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vampire Drain/Loss Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed that since I go the 2019.5.4 the 12 V stay always on even after my car get locked?

- I turned off both the Sentry and the Alarm modes.

Previously the 12 V was turning off after few minutes, even if I was parked and still sitting in the car?

As a result, every night I get notify that my car started to charge, even if I hadn't drive that day.

Version 2019.5.15
P3D
Garaged at ~60 degrees
8 days unused
252->228. (24 rated miles)

App was refreshed once during my absence, but fairly sure that makes no appreciable difference.

3 miles/day. Seems like it might have improved very slightly from the prior firmware version.

I noticed that since I go the 2019.5.4 the 12 V stay always on even after my car get locked?

- I turned off both the Sentry and the Alarm modes.

Previously the 12 V was turning off after few minutes, even if I was parked and still sitting in the car?

As a result, every night I get notify that my car started to charge, even if I hadn't drive that day.

My USB ports are powered now the whole time my car is awake, including when it's charging.

the vampire drain is something really weird, depends also on the firmware you are running.
I used to have 2% per week, that's OK. now I get 2% per day, the car is more often "online" than asleep. This can be checked by the REST api without having to wake up the car (Tesla app will wake up the car).

It's just annoying because tesla constantly changes stuff and doesnt really inform the customer.
2% per day is really a lot, especially for me because I dont use it every day.
It's a useless waste of energy, that's all.

The customer should be able to decide if he wants is car always to be online (always connected ON) or not, if not the car shouldnt stay awake, but rather be in deep sleep modus if not used for days.

the vampire drain is something really weird, depends also on the firmware you are running.
I used to have 2% per week, that's OK. now I get 2% per day, the car is more often "online" than asleep.

My Model 3 LR RWD, which I received almost a month ago and that upgraded from 2019.5.15 to 2019.8.4 soon after delivery, then to 2019.8.5, recently updated to 2019.12.1. With the 2019.8.x software, the car never slept when it was plugged in, so although it didn't lose range, it would charge about once an hour to replenish the energy lost to idle mode. I've only had it plugged in after charging for a few hours since the update to 2019.12.1, but now the car is sleeping (according to TeslaFi) when plugged in but not charging, so that loss should be much less. In other words, this problem entering sleep mode seems to be a bug in 2019.8.x.

A lot of helpful info. Thank you!
My numbers. I use TeslaFi for a week. I set sleep and deep sleep mode overnight and found to lost at all! For example from 9:30 pm until 08:12 am it was only 0.1 kWh decrease. Daytime is the different story. I parked at work and Tesla turned Sentry mode - 1kWh per 4 hours (ok with it).

This vampire drain really sucks. So there is absolutely NO WAY to get LESS THAN about 3 miles per day in drain? Even if you literally turn off and delete every app/feature, etc.? I don't have a model 3 yet. Delivery expected next week. Losing 3 miles per day to sit there is very disappointing. And this takes effort and attention to detail, otherwise 6 miles per day???

Really don't want to buy a gas car because Tesla can't or refuses or lazily skips trying to figure this out.

Losing 50-70 miles while parked at a trailhead for 10-15 days while 80 miles from a supercharger will not work.

None of this makes any sense. Tesla usually pays pretty close attention to detail, especially when it comes to efficiency.

Cameras are dumb.

Any updates?

This vampire drain really sucks. So there is absolutely NO WAY to get LESS THAN about 3 miles per day in drain? Even if you literally turn off and delete every app/feature, etc.? I don't have a model 3 yet. Delivery expected next week. Losing 3 miles per day to sit there is very disappointing. And this takes effort and attention to detail, otherwise 6 miles per day???

Really don't want to buy a gas car because Tesla can't or refuses or lazily skips trying to figure this out.

Losing 50-70 miles while parked at a trailhead for 10-15 days while 80 miles from a supercharger will not work.

None of this makes any sense. Tesla usually pays pretty close attention to detail, especially when it comes to efficiency.

Cameras are dumb.

Any updates?

It’s annoying. I have seen no evidence presented that it is possible to do lower than 3-4 miles on average per day (what Tesla says to expect). It is possible to do worse but those factors are pretty well understood, and common sense.

The particular situation you quote is the one of most interest to me, and one where it is the most annoying, and potentially makes it impossible to use the vehicle when I would otherwise want to.

In general, though, after you buy the car, except in these special situations, you don’t really notice it too much unless you don’t drive the car for a while... It just adds 10% or so to your expected energy use for 12k miles per year.

It’s likely not the cameras, they are just a contributor.

Good luck with your purchasing decision.

This vampire drain really sucks. So there is absolutely NO WAY to get LESS THAN about 3 miles per day in drain? Even if you literally turn off and delete every app/feature, etc.?

You can't really delete apps from the Tesla itself. The apps people refer to as causing vampire drain are apps that run on your phone, or services that run on third-party servers and that report their results to you via an app or Web site. Thus, avoiding their drain is a question of not installing every third-party app you happen to run across. You don't really need any of them, but they do provide extra features or access to data you might find useful. One I use, for instance (TeslaFi) provides copious data on the car's energy use, charging, speed, elevation, etc. This is appealing if you're into tracking such data and understanding your car, but most people don't need it. Some people report that TeslaFi increases vampire drain significantly, but others say the increase is modest to non-existent. Installing multiple third-party Tesla apps is most likely to cause problems, since they might try to ping the car at irregular intervals, making it difficult for the car to sleep.

Note that Tesla provides an app that's not technically required to use the car, but that's very useful. At a minimum, you need it to set up the phone-as-key feature, but I don't know offhand if you can still use the phone as a key if you delete the app after setting it up. Tesla's app can cause excessive vampire drain if you keep opening it to check on the car; but if you leave it closed, Tesla's app won't cause more drain. Thus, the trick here is to simply exercise self-restraint and don't check your car's status very frequently, if at all.

I don't have a model 3 yet. Delivery expected next week. Losing 3 miles per day to sit there is very disappointing. And this takes effort and attention to detail, otherwise 6 miles per day???

In moderate temperatures, if you don't use Tesla's app or any third-party apps, a Tesla Model 3 will probably lose 1-4 miles of range per day. (3 miles per day seems to be typical.) Several things can increase that value:
  • Sentry Mode -- This feature really sucks power; when active, the range will drop by about 20-25 miles per day. This is because it prevents the car from sleeping (entering a low-power-consumption state).
  • Extreme temperatures -- If the temperature rises too high or drops too low, the Tesla's BMS will try to cool or heat the battery. I've only had my Model 3 for a bit over a month, so I have yet to experience this first-hand and I'm not sure how much range loss to expect, or what temperature limits will trigger increased range loss.
  • Frequent app use -- As noted above, frequent use of Tesla's app, or of some third-party apps, can cause increased vampire drain. If you were to check your car every minute or two, I'd expect the drain to be comparable to that of Sentry Mode, since it would prevent the car from sleeping.
  • Cabin temperature settings -- In some environments, cabin temperature controls, like the cabin overheat protection feature, will consume power. Dog Mode would be especially bad for this if used for an extended period.
I agree that Teslas consume too much power when idling. That consumption is not reflected in the EPA's fuel economy tests, but it should be. Whether a kWh is consumed propelling a car down a highway or running computers while the car is parked doesn't really matter; that's still a kWh that must come from some power source and that carries a cost. Note that all EVs have some vampire drain, so this problem isn't entirely unique to Teslas. It seems to be worse in Teslas than in most EVs, though, judging by posts I've seen in various fora. (FWIW, I had a Chevy Volt before my Model 3, and I never noticed any range loss in the Volt, even when it was unplugged for several days.)

That could indeed be a tight squeeze if you were doing it in a Model 3 SR with 220 miles of range. Removing 2x80 (160) miles between the Supercharger and the parking spot gives only a 60-mile buffer, and at 4 miles/day for 15 days, that'd completely consume the buffer. It would be even worse if you were doing that when it was too cold or hot out, thus triggering battery conditioning.

OTOH, I'd expect few problems in an LR Model 3. With 310-325 miles of range, you'd have an extra ~100 miles of buffer, so you'd be fine unless you kept checking the car's status or ran into one of the other problem triggers noted above.

Either way, if you had access to an L2 EVSE closer than the Supercharger, you could use it to help out a bit. It'd be slow, but it could be very helpful.

• Informative
Reactions: seattlite2004
That could indeed be a tight squeeze if you were doing it in a Model 3 SR with 220 miles of range. Removing 2x80 (160) miles between the Supercharger and the parking spot gives only a 60-mile buffer, and at 4 miles/day for 15 days, that'd completely consume the buffer. It would be even worse if you were doing that when it was too cold or hot out, thus triggering battery conditioning.

OTOH, I'd expect few problems in an LR Model 3. With 310-325 miles of range, you'd have an extra ~100 miles of buffer, so you'd be fine unless you kept checking the car's status or ran into one of the other problem triggers noted above.

SR-220 is the only model I am considering. I'm not into cars at all and no way can I sink 40-50k into a depreciating asset, especially if that thing is burning energy just sitting there, which is what a car I own will do more days than not. Money is too valuable a resource in our society.

Either way, if you had access to an L2 EVSE closer than the Supercharger, you could use it to help out a bit. It'd be slow, but it could be very helpful.

This is very true and I have taken it into consideration. While I would have no problem using that in a pinch by myself, if I am with others, I suspect they will be annoyed at best.

DREAM CAR: 300mile battery with manual seats, mirrors, etc. for 30K that lasts 500k miles. No cameras, no sensors, no apps, no bluetooth. Nothing wrong with computer and software to maintain the DRIVETRAIN only. Get an update when you are in range of wifi. I believe it can be built pretty easily by Tesla and profitable.

A car is a tool.

Man Teslas could've been so great. Now what, Volkswagen? Rivian? Doubt it, they're all planning wasteful "features" too. Oh well.

DREAM CAR: 300mile battery with manual seats, mirrors, etc. for 30K that lasts 500k miles. No cameras, no sensors, no apps, no bluetooth. Nothing wrong with computer and software to maintain the DRIVETRAIN only. Get an update when you are in range of wifi. I believe it can be built pretty easily by Tesla and profitable.

A car is a tool.

Man Teslas could've been so great. Now what, Volkswagen? Rivian? Doubt it, they're all planning wasteful "features" too. Oh well.
I imagine cars like this could've find their owners, but Tesla choose other way around. Even if you did not choose the EAP or FSD options you still paid for all the hardware.

Reactions: eprosenx
I don't even want one right now. I just want someone somewhere to at least acknowledge that they intend to build a practical electric vehicle for a reasonable price that can charge at 150KW-300mi range, with robust charging infrastructure. Tesla could do it, they could even do it on an SUV platform for sub35k. But no they'll work on a 60k truck first...

• Disagree
Reactions: doghousePVD
I don't even want one right now. I just want someone somewhere to at least acknowledge that they intend to build a practical electric vehicle for a reasonable price that can charge at 150KW-300mi range, with robust charging infrastructure. Tesla could do it, they could even do it on an SUV platform for sub35k. But no they'll work on a 60k truck first...
There’s always hope that they could solve the vampire drain issue with an OTA update. On the other hand they could make it worse too :eek:
All the cameras are likely going to be legally required soon for safety features.