Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vampire drain since 32.12.2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve never had an issue with vampire drain...but since 32.12.2 it seems that my car loses a few % of battery when it sits for a few hours. I do not have any hard data to back this up but it seems that way, all of the sudden.

Anyone else?

It looks like you have FSD. Be sure you have Summon Standby Mode turned off. This will drain everywhere except at home, work, and favorites (if they are defined).

Yesterday I left home with 91% charge, drove just over 100 miles and parked with 61%. Approximately 5.5 hours later I got in the car to drive back and the car showed 58%. I’ve turned off the summon fast start as noted above. I don’t have any 3rd party monitoring apps, etc. what else could it be?

I don’t use cabin overheat or keep climate on, that I know of. I do have data sharing selected but how much power does that use? I’ve had that since day one and don’t recall the drain being anything like this...1/2% per hour, that’s a lot.

You could have lost as little as 6 rated miles due to rounding error. Sounds like the car never went to sleep - I have noticed this happening more often with V10. Lots of pump whirring noises for no apparent reason. It may have been deciding to cool your battery after the long trip, share some AP data with Tesla, etc.

Hard to say. Could also have been partially a battery temperature change.

Reactions: fiatlux
You could have lost as little as 6 rated miles due to rounding error. Sounds like the car never went to sleep - I have noticed this happening more often with V10. Lots of pump whirring noises for no apparent reason. It may have been deciding to cool your battery after the long trip, share some AP data with Tesla, etc.

Hard to say. Could also have been partially a battery temperature change.

I suppose those are all good points. I never saw this before v10. Maybe the new AP and summon is causing Tesla to poll more data more frequently than before.

Took my car into service and while it was sitting there for a few days after my message saying it was ready (I was out of town), I noticed I lost 100 miles of range over 4 days since the last time I checked the app. After speaking with the service manager, he walked me through my settings and had me turn off my cabin overheat.

Anyways, it's been a week since then and my car had been sitting for two days. I checked my app for the first time since last driving it and noticed it lost 20 miles of range. That's 10 miles a day. This does not seem normal... cabin overheat and any other settings I can think of had been turned off. Even the auto summon standby shouldn't have affected this, as my car was in my home location and that was checked. Not sure what's going on, but 10 miles a day seems aggressive.

After speaking with the service manager, he walked me through my settings and had me turn off my cabin overheat.

That won't do anything significant over a long period, since it stops doing anything about 10 hours after you leave the car.

auto summon standby shouldn't have affected this, as my car was in my home location and that was checked. Not sure what's going on, but 10 miles a day seems aggressive.

If it was checked, that means that Summon Standby Mode was disabled at home (these are exclude check boxes). So now that it's somewhere else, it's draining like a champ. That's the beauty of this new setting. If it's not disabled, it should be disabled. Not sure anyone uses Summon anyway, and is it really that big a deal to wait 15-30 seconds for the car to wake up and close the contactors?

If it was checked, that means that Summon Standby Mode was disabled at home (these are exclude check boxes). So now that it's somewhere else, it's draining like a champ. That's the beauty of this new setting. If it's not disabled, it should be disabled. Not sure anyone uses Summon anyway, and is it really that big a deal to wait 15-30 seconds for the car to wake up and close the contactors?

That's the thing... It was checked to be EXCLUDED from home location, and my car's been sitting at home. So not sure why it's draining 10 miles per day..

That's the thing... It was checked to be EXCLUDED from home location, and my car's been sitting at home. So not sure why it's draining 10 miles per day..

Ah...sorry...misread (skimmed)...for some reason thought it was still at service. Anyway, why don't you try turning off the feature entirely? It may be that your home location is not properly defined, or maybe it's just buggy? 10 miles a day is not really as much as I would expect, though...I'd expect closer to 16 per day.

Other obvious things of course - no Sentry (your loss is too small for this to be the issue) allowed, and you can try turning off Teslacam (though that would not typically lead to 10 miles a day of loss, it can accelerate it).

Also make sure on the Software updates page that it is not "checking for updates". Looks like you have 32.12.2 so it shouldn't be but something to double check. If it is, try toggling data sharing options on and off...not sure how to "unstick" it but that (quite likely totally coincidentally) worked for me.

Ah...sorry...misread (skimmed)...for some reason thought it was still at service. Anyway, why don't you try turning off the feature? It may be that your home location is not properly defined, or maybe it's just buggy? 10 miles a day is not really as much as I would expect, though...I'd expect closer to 16 per day.

Yeah, thanks for the advice. I went ahead and turned off the feature completely just in case. I have another service appointment soon since I noticed an area of my rear bumper that wasn't fully painted from the factory. I'll bring it up with them and see if they have any ideas or suggestions. I've only had my car for 2 months, so I'm still becoming familiar with some of these things, but I was under the impression no more than 1-2% drain was expected per day, unless you're waking the car up with the app frequently (which I hadn't even touched). Still the best car I've ever driven/owned.

Off topic... seems like we have the same trim and color combo. Maybe see you around in SD some time.