Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vampire drain while plugged in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed that my X charges to 237-239 (90D) for the 90% threshold, but then when I get it in the morning it's around 232-235 (usually 235), even though it's plugged in. If I unplug the charger and put it back in, it starts charging again and tops off the missing miles.

Is this normal? I would've assumed that if I left the charger in overnight, it would stay maintained at the top of the threshold and not stop charging and start draining.

My uses is if you left it for several days and those daily drops of 3 miles or so turned into a total of 15-20 miles then it would start charging back up to 90%. But it probably does y charge to 90% and then charge more if it drops to 89% or 88% even. There's some trigger lower than that.

Looks like that is what happened - my wife plugged the car back in around 1:30pm yesterday, and at around 8:30am this morning it gave me a notification that it started charging at 228 rated miles (and finished 10 minutes later with 237 again).

So it seems like the 24 hour drain is about 10 miles. Does that sound about right, or is that high?

So it seems like the 24 hour drain is about 10 miles. Does that sound about right, or is that high?
That is really high. It was that way for me at first but now I am generally down to less than 2 mi/day with all the latest updates (17.95). I also have my car set to power conserve too. Don't see the need to keep it on all the time. It wakes up for the door in seconds and by the time I get in, press the brake and get comfortable, it has booted up. I rarely use the app so I don't even have autoconnect on either. If I do, then it does take a minute to get connected and wake up the car.

Egads, looks like I have it even worse. My car has been at the service center for seven and a half days, and in that time it has lost 102 miles of range (90% SoC to 50% SoC), or almost 14 miles a day. It has been parked outside, mostly, but, according to teslalog.com, never driven. That's 200 watts continuous. Either the car is keeping itself cool (possible given that the inteior of the car can get hotter than 130 degrees), my use of teslalog.com is drawing a small river of power, or there exists some other phantom drain.

Egads, looks like I have it even worse. My car has been at the service center for seven and a half days, and in that time it has lost 102 miles of range (90% SoC to 50% SoC), or almost 14 miles a day. It has been parked outside, mostly, but, according to teslalog.com, never driven. That's 200 watts continuous. Either the car is keeping itself cool (possible given that the inteior of the car can get hotter than 130 degrees), my use of teslalog.com is drawing a small river of power, or there exists some other phantom drain.

Here's the other thread on this subject (sort of?). It sounds like having the "always connected" setting on definitely affects the drain.

My Model X overnight vampire drain is 8 miles/day? Options? Norm?
Check the thread I linked. There is discussion about using the "Always connected" setting and teslalog.com and how those can drain the battery that much.

Check the thread I linked. There is discussion about using the "Always connected" setting and teslalog.com and how those can drain the battery that much.

My guess is that it is that. I'll give it a try without those one time and see if it makes a difference. Car is going to the SC tomorrow for some minor things so I will do it afterwards (though will mention it to them).

Didn't I read somewhere that using a service like teslalog.com or other polling services basically keeps the car awake and alive all the time? That could account for the drain you're seeing.

@itay - on both of my cars the S and X, they lose 1 to 2 miles a day unplugged. I have the always connected on. I have never noticed much loss due to pre-conditioning but I guess if you don't want it to pre-condition you can check it off or turn off climate control remotely through the app.
I don't use teslalog or remote S so I can't comment on if they would cause excessive drain.

Egads, looks like I have it even worse. My car has been at the service center for seven and a half days, and in that time it has lost 102 miles of range (90% SoC to 50% SoC), or almost 14 miles a day. It has been parked outside, mostly, but, according to teslalog.com, never driven. That's 200 watts continuous. Either the car is keeping itself cool (possible given that the interior of the car can get hotter than 130 degrees), my use of teslalog.com is drawing a small river of power, or there exists some other phantom drain.
Agree with @blu...etc. Seven is even high.