TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Vampire drain while plugged in?

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by itay, May 7, 2016.

1. itay

itay Member

I've noticed that my X charges to 237-239 (90D) for the 90% threshold, but then when I get it in the morning it's around 232-235 (usually 235), even though it's plugged in. If I unplug the charger and put it back in, it starts charging again and tops off the missing miles.

Is this normal? I would've assumed that if I left the charger in overnight, it would stay maintained at the top of the threshold and not stop charging and start draining.

2. loganintx

loganintx Member

My uses is if you left it for several days and those daily drops of 3 miles or so turned into a total of 15-20 miles then it would start charging back up to 90%. But it probably does y charge to 90% and then charge more if it drops to 89% or 88% even. There's some trigger lower than that.

3. itay

itay Member

Looks like that is what happened - my wife plugged the car back in around 1:30pm yesterday, and at around 8:30am this morning it gave me a notification that it started charging at 228 rated miles (and finished 10 minutes later with 237 again).

So it seems like the 24 hour drain is about 10 miles. Does that sound about right, or is that high?

4. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze Member

That seems a bit high. However, if you're parked in direct sun I wouldn't be surprised if auto climate is periodically cooling the interior. Seattle had been awfully sunny recently.

5. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

That is really high. It was that way for me at first but now I am generally down to less than 2 mi/day with all the latest updates (17.95). I also have my car set to power conserve too. Don't see the need to keep it on all the time. It wakes up for the door in seconds and by the time I get in, press the brake and get comfortable, it has booted up. I rarely use the app so I don't even have autoconnect on either. If I do, then it does take a minute to get connected and wake up the car.

6. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

7. Softwizard

Softwizard Member

Auto-climate automatically cools the interior?? Is this documented? I can't find it in the latest manual.

Is there a threshold setting?

8. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze Member

No, it doesn't--but if it had learned to cool based on your patterns, and it was hot, it could draw extra power.

• Like x 1
  9. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze Member

Egads, looks like I have it even worse. My car has been at the service center for seven and a half days, and in that time it has lost 102 miles of range (90% SoC to 50% SoC), or almost 14 miles a day. It has been parked outside, mostly, but, according to teslalog.com, never driven. That's 200 watts continuous. Either the car is keeping itself cool (possible given that the inteior of the car can get hotter than 130 degrees), my use of teslalog.com is drawing a small river of power, or there exists some other phantom drain.

10. Blu Zap

Blu Zap Grinning member

10 mile vampire drain is too much in a day. Something is up. Climate control on? Other power drain in some way?

11. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Check the thread I linked. There is discussion about using the "Always connected" setting and teslalog.com and how those can drain the battery that much.

• Helpful x 2
  12. itay

itay Member

My guess is that it is that. I'll give it a try without those one time and see if it makes a difference. Car is going to the SC tomorrow for some minor things so I will do it afterwards (though will mention it to them).

13. fwgmills

fwgmills Member

Didn't I read somewhere that using a service like teslalog.com or other polling services basically keeps the car awake and alive all the time? That could account for the drain you're seeing.

14. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

You mean in my post 2 above yours and the thread linked there? ;)

15. fwgmills

fwgmills Member

Yea, yea...that one! ;)
    Actually I thought I read about it months ago when people started talking about it but after reading this forum as long as I have everything starts to blur together.

• Funny x 2
  16. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

@itay - on both of my cars the S and X, they lose 1 to 2 miles a day unplugged. I have the always connected on. I have never noticed much loss due to pre-conditioning but I guess if you don't want it to pre-condition you can check it off or turn off climate control remotely through the app.
    I don't use teslalog or remote S so I can't comment on if they would cause excessive drain.

17. ernies

ernies Member

Agree with @blu...etc. Seven is even high.

18. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Mine is kind of significant, finishes charging at 230 (87%) at 12 at night. In 24 hours it goes down to 225 is that normal? 5 miles in 24 hours

(The car remains plugged in, it set to charge after 10 PM)

19. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

That's double of what mine loses. Possibly keys in the 30ft range that keep it awake, any third party apps or maybe preconditioning which I doubt as you haven't had this car with you long enough for it to learn your usage pattern. Try turning the climate off when not using the car.

20. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Member

It is probably the same on the X, but on the Model S, the threshold is about 3% down before it will be start up charging to refill it.