Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vampire loss on P85D with .179

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've observed this a few nights now - at first I thought I just misremembered.
On my 60 (with earlier versions of 6.1 and all versions of 6.0) I tended to have maybe 2 miles of loss over night.
With the P85D I see 6 miles lost over night, quite consistently.
Same settings (allow to sleep only at night which is default now).

I've been using VisibleTesla with my P85D since late-January and have plotted all vampire losses:

Vampire losses.png

It looks like my average is between 0.8 and 0.9 miles lost per hour. I used to have energy savings on NIGHTLY until it was removed with some update (can't remember which one right now), and now it's set to OFF which means it sleeps at night anyway.

If the 12v drops below some threshold the contacts close and the traction battery connects to charge the 12v.
If this is true, then the contactors are closing multiple times a night to charge that tiny 12v battery if you're really losing 3 miles per night, that's 85 amp hours on a 12 volt battery:

(85000 (kwh) / 250 (miles)) * 3 (miles) / 12 volts = 85 amp hours. Typical car battery is 45 amp hours. A small Prius battery is 28 amp hours. If it's like the prius 12 volt battery, then it's going through 3 times it's capacity every single night.

The contactors must be opening up at least 6 to 10 times (maybe about once per hour).

This is like leaving the headlights on constantly. It's a lot of power to sucked out.

And that's assuming a 100% conversion so it's probably a lot more than even that.