TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Vampire loss on P85D with .179

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by dirkhh, Mar 19, 2015.

1. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

So I've observed this a few nights now - at first I thought I just misremembered.
    On my 60 (with earlier versions of 6.1 and all versions of 6.0) I tended to have maybe 2 miles of loss over night.
    With the P85D I see 6 miles lost over night, quite consistently.
    Same settings (allow to sleep only at night which is default now).

2. Gr8pursuit

Gr8pursuit Member

I'm getting zapped 2-3 miles overnight, also have it on energy saver but always connected setting.

3. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Always connected seems to negate energy saving mode. I wouldn't even think about enabling it on my Sig.

4. Gr8pursuit

Gr8pursuit Member

So far same vampire usage whether I have it on always connected or not.

5. benjiejr

benjiejr Technogeekextraordinaire

I seem to avg about 1 mi every 4 hrs or so.

6. sorka

sorka Active Member

I thought the main battery was disconnected (contactors) and the 12 volt battery supplied power to run the electronics until the MS is powered up?

7. rlang59

rlang59 Member

If the 12v drops below some threshold the contacts close and the traction battery connects to charge the 12v.

8. jgs

jgs Member

My 85D has been doing 3 mi/24 hours for the last couple of days. (It's been sitting in a parking deck, not plugged in.)

9. apacheguy

All energy saving modes enabled, I presume?

10. jgs

jgs Member

I presume so too. I took delivery of the car on Thursday and parked it at the airport on Sunday so I haven't had a lot of time to get intimately acquainted with it yet, so I may have overlooked something.

11. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

I've been using VisibleTesla with my P85D since late-January and have plotted all vampire losses:

Vampire losses.png

It looks like my average is between 0.8 and 0.9 miles lost per hour. I used to have energy savings on NIGHTLY until it was removed with some update (can't remember which one right now), and now it's set to OFF which means it sleeps at night anyway.

12. apacheguy

When my car is awake to charge the 12 V, it loses exactly 0.7 miles per hour. This is in good agreement with your hourly loss.

13. sorka

sorka Active Member

If this is true, then the contactors are closing multiple times a night to charge that tiny 12v battery if you're really losing 3 miles per night, that's 85 amp hours on a 12 volt battery:

(85000 (kwh) / 250 (miles)) * 3 (miles) / 12 volts = 85 amp hours. Typical car battery is 45 amp hours. A small Prius battery is 28 amp hours. If it's like the prius 12 volt battery, then it's going through 3 times it's capacity every single night.

The contactors must be opening up at least 6 to 10 times (maybe about once per hour).

This is like leaving the headlights on constantly. It's a lot of power to sucked out.

And that's assuming a 100% conversion so it's probably a lot more than even that.

14. apacheguy

If left alone, the contactors cycle twice per day. There are exactly two wake up cycles to charge the 12 V per 24 hours. It does not cycle multiple times in a single night.