TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Vampire losses (data) from my mobile phone

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by anticitizen13.7, Aug 18, 2013.

1. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

I bought an iPhone 5 a couple months ago on recommendation from members here. It's great, except there seems to be a Vampire here somewhere.

I don't know if it's the iPhone software or something on my carrier's end, but my phone seems to "leak" (use) about 100-120 kilobytes of data per hour, even when I'm not using it. This adds up to about 2-3 MB/day, which is annoying, because I am on a budget T-Mobile plan that includes only 500 MB/month before bandwidth is throttled to EDGE (dial-up level & painfully slow) speeds.

I only use my iPhone's data for e-mail, twitter, facebook, reading news on NPR's app (sometimes), and tapatalk when I am away from home during the day. I deliberately avoid visiting websites in Safari or streaming any kind of music if I'm not on WiFi, in order to preserve my data allocation.

Vampire data use is very annoying. If I don't look at my phone for a couple hours, I hate seeing the data use meter go up by a Megabyte when I haven't done anything with the device! :cursing:

Is this common on iPhones? :confused:

Edit: I am running stock iOS 6.1.4. Therefore, there is no jailbreak or sketchy apps loaded.

2. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

You need more data on your plan. You turn off data services when not using the phone.

3. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Make sure you use the app killer to close the apps properly. Many of them continue to communicate even after they are in "window reduced" mode (don't know what else to call that). My wife always" reduces" her apps where I close mine and she has to charge much more often. We have an unlimited plan but she also uses much more data than me.

4. Sparky

Sparky Member

In the past, when I've had this issue, I first go through and quit all non-essential apps (double-tap the home button and hit the '-' signs on apps you want to terminate). Then re-boot. Then I verify no more data leaks. Then bring apps on-line one at a time and monitor the cellular data.
    I've had issues with streaming apps not quitting the streaming (or downloading) when I'm on cell data, regardless of the setting.

5. anticitizen13.7

I'm cheap, er, frugal, and don't want to pay more for data. 500 MB would be more than enough if not for the vampire losses.

Wow, I had no idea you could do this:eek: I've had my iPhone for a few months and this is completely new to me. Thanks for the tip!

6. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

If you can hang in for some weeks, the upcoming release of iOS 7 from Apple will give you much better reporting on this.

7. woof

woof Model S #P683 Blue 85 kWh

How is your e-mail configured? If it's "push" and you get a decent amount of e-mail that might explain it. If it's pull and you are polling very quickly that might explain it.

Try setting your e-mail to fetch "Manual", which means it only checks for new mail when you open the e-mail app or "pull down" on the e-mail screen to reload, and see if that lowers the data usage.

8. liuping

liuping Active Member

9. anticitizen13.7

I do have push on gmail, but I don't get a lot of messages. 91 kilobytes used last night (about 8 hrs), so shutting down apps did help. This is a huge improvement over the 100 kilobytes/hour I was seeing before.

10. DCWitt

DCWitt Member

If you connect to a WIFI network at home and work, you will likely never have a usage issue. Set these up once and and it is seemless.