Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vancouver area supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some folks in the US Pacific Northwest forum were able to get information about possible supercharger locations by searching public records for electric permits. Does a similar online permit system exist for BC? I'd love to see where the Vancouver area supercharger is going to end up.

I think it is too early to see permit activity, since the site is scheduled for the Fall, though I will keep looking.

From the map on Tesla's web site it seems that the first location will be in Squamish on BC-99 on the way to Whistler.

It looks like in 2014 they will add stations in or near Hope, Kamloops, Revelstoke, and Lake Louise on the Trans-Canada (Hwy-1) to complete the Vancouver to Calgary corridor. Having done that drive in both my Roadster and Model S, THAT will be spectacular. :biggrin:

There is one active one in Surrey with a second one installed but not yet powered in between Surrey & Langley. If you cross over to the island Nanaimo has one that's active and Duncan has another installed-but-not-active charger. You can see them on the Plug Share website & phone app, they're the orange pins. This is the Duncan charger as of last week when my girlfriend & I stopped in, the one in Nanaimo is the same. It's an ABB unit providing 500V 120A:
DuncanDCCharger.JPG

that's a CHAdeMO... lots of those on the west coast, too bad we are locked out of using them with no word from Tesla if we will even ever be offered an adapter. highly recommend you call and let Tesla know you would truly like to "plug in anywhere" as advertised, ask for a CHAdeMO adapter!

Yup, BarrelOMonkeys is correct. It is a CHAdeMO charger (see HERE). Useful for Nissan Leaf and Mitsubishi i-MiEV (and electric Toyotas that are sold in Japan). The only DC chargers that we can use are the Superchargers that Tesla installs.

50kW of juice that we can't use yet. Tesla will get there someday...

I recently used the Supercharger in Burlington - what a treat! Can't wait to see these in BC on the Transcanada. The charge was fast, close to 10x of the 14-50. After charging started the flow of power stabilized at about 365V and 240A, or about 88 kw. There was nobody else there at the time.

736 edited.jpg
804 edited.jpg
IMG_20130724_095651.jpg

Not sure how the construction approval process works in BC but I bet there is permitting activity going on for the Vancouver SC. That SC and the Woodburn, OR ones are in the "Fall 2013" batch of SCs according to the map on Tesla's SuperCharger page.

Not sure how the construction approval process works in BC but I bet there is permitting activity going on for the Vancouver SC. That SC and the Woodburn, OR ones are in the "Fall 2013" batch of SCs according to the map on Tesla's SuperCharger page.

I still believe it will be in Squamish, and not Vancouver itself. I found the permit reports for the District of Squamish (districts are like counties up here), and I see no activity I could interpret for a Supercharger, but the reports are very terse.

Building Permit Reports District of Squamish