Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vancouver, BC Model 3 SR+ Subwoofer installation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What did you get done and where did you go? What equipment did you get?
I got mine done at SoundsGood in Burnaby. Kept all the stock speakers but added an 8 channel Audison amp as well as an Audison mono amp powering a 10" Audison subwoofer in a custom built subbox which fits perfectly inside the factory subwoofer location (SR+ just has a hallow spot in the rear passenger quarter panel). They also connected in the tweeters behind the side mirrors as well as the rear deck speaker.

I got mine done at SoundsGood in Burnaby. Kept all the stock speakers but added an 8 channel Audison amp as well as an Audison mono amp powering a 10" Audison subwoofer in a custom built subbox which fits perfectly inside the factory subwoofer location (SR+ just has a hallow spot in the rear passenger quarter panel). They also connected in the tweeters behind the side mirrors as well as the rear deck speaker.

Do you mind if I ask you how much it cost as I am interested in doing the exact same. Thank you.

Had mine installed at the same place, but went with Audison (a) mid-range speakers for the dash, (b) tweeters for the pillars (in each case powered by, I bet, the same amp as you), along with what I think is the same (c) amp/sub as you (but located in the sub-trunk area--although I really like your setup in the factory spot!). I didn't get the rear deck speakers activated.

One thing I'll say about SoundsGood is that they have great customer service and are real pros. When Tesla recently changed the behaviour of VC_Left (so that the sound system wasn't shutting off when I left the car--see: 12v Switched?), they got me straight into the shop for a quick fix. I'm not mechanically (or electrically!) inclined, and usually lean on the dealer for any modifications so that I have a point person if things go wrong. With that not being possible with Tesla, I was very leery of having someone monkey with the electronics, but SoundsGood has really come through and I wouldn't hesitate recommending them, particularly now that I've had a chance to see how they deal with "glitches" (like the change to VC_Left).

Reactions: raypratt
Had mine installed at the same place, but went with Audison (a) mid-range speakers for the dash, (b) tweeters for the pillars (in each case powered by, I bet, the same amp as you), along with what I think is the same (c) amp/sub as you (but located in the sub-trunk area--although I really like your setup in the factory spot!). I didn't get the rear deck speakers activated.

One thing I'll say about SoundsGood is that they have great customer service and are real pros. When Tesla recently changed the behaviour of VC_Left (so that the sound system wasn't shutting off when I left the car--see: 12v Switched?), they got me straight into the shop for a quick fix. I'm not mechanically (or electrically!) inclined, and usually lean on the dealer for any modifications so that I have a point person if things go wrong. With that not being possible with Tesla, I was very leery of having someone monkey with the electronics, but SoundsGood has really come through and I wouldn't hesitate recommending them, particularly now that I've had a chance to see how they deal with "glitches" (like the change to VC_Left).
Yes! Keith and the team are amazing!! They have a solution for all the electrical problems. I ended up following that thread and installing my own but only after consulting with Keith in which he gave me the green light to try it myself.

I'm so happy that I went with Soundsgood!

Is anyone doing this kind of work on Vancouver Island?

Traveling to the mainland adds $150+ to a cost in ferry fares, plus possibly a hotel.

Living in paradise isn’t cheap. :)
I'm sure there are shops that will be willing to take on the challenge.

Why don't you give Keith at Soundsgood a call and see if he recommends anyone on the island? He's been in the industry a long time and I'm sure he has hookups everywhere across North America

Reactions: raypratt
I'm waiting on an SR+ and am also looking into this.

So far have been given a first quote of just over $5K from Soundsgood. I'm positive the workmanship and quality of the gear are great, but for me right now, that price is unreasonable to 'just' get to the same level as the premium sound. Especially when there are installers doing it in the states for far less and the majority of the speakers are in the car already just not active.

Any other local installers that can do this upgrade at different price points?

I'm waiting on an SR+ and am also looking into this.

So far have been given a first quote of just over $5K from Soundsgood. I'm positive the workmanship and quality of the gear are great, but for me right now, that price is unreasonable to 'just' get to the same level as the premium sound. Especially when there are installers doing it in the states for far less and the majority of the speakers are in the car already just not active.

Any other local installers that can do this upgrade at different price points?

I think I posted a year ago in this or a similar thread. A bunch of Vancouver SR owners went to RPM Electronics in Burnaby and had our audio systems upgraded. Most had front door/side mirror speakers and rear deck/shelf speakers activated (with an additional sub), as well as sub-woofer installed in sub-compartment with bass control. All-in for far less than half of your first quote. I won’t rehash the details as you can search the thread. But a year later and no problems and very happy with my “premium” sound system.

I think I posted a year ago in this or a similar thread. A bunch of Vancouver SR owners went to RPM Electronics in Burnaby and had our audio systems upgraded. Most had front door/side mirror speakers and rear deck/shelf speakers activated (with an additional sub), as well as sub-woofer installed in sub-compartment with bass control. All-in for far less than half of your first quote. I won’t rehash the details as you can search the thread. But a year later and no problems and very happy with my “premium” sound system.

Thanks Amdax, I've reached out to RPM and glad to hear your happy with your system a year on!

I think I'm going to look into purchasing the OEM speakers and subwoofer/enclosure from Tesla directly. Adding an aftermarket amp/s to run it. Hopefully RPM is able to do the installation.

Quick update in case anyone else comes across this thread in the future...

David at RPM Electronics says doing an install of the OEM sub/enclosure and rear deck speakers is no problem. He even suggested a few amp combinations to run it that are reasonably priced. In fact, he corrected himself with a lower-priced amp once he noticed the OEM sub runs at only 80Watts. Speakers are like 30 Watts too so don't need anything overkill.

Have only been communicating via email so far, but RPM definitely seems like the way to go to get the factory 'premium' sound in an SR+, with everything hidden, no trunk space taken up.

Looking forward to getting this installed when my car finally arrives next month!

Quick update in case anyone else comes across this thread in the future...

David at RPM Electronics says doing an install of the OEM sub/enclosure and rear deck speakers is no problem. He even suggested a few amp combinations to run it that are reasonably priced. In fact, he corrected himself with a lower-priced amp once he noticed the OEM sub runs at only 80Watts. Speakers are like 30 Watts too so don't need anything overkill.

Have only been communicating via email so far, but RPM definitely seems like the way to go to get the factory 'premium' sound in an SR+, with everything hidden, no trunk space taken up.

Looking forward to getting this installed when my car finally arrives next month!

That’s awesome. Do you mind sharing what kind of price they quoted you?