Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vancouver BC VIN .

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you mind sharing the name of the insurer and school that got you the discount please? Was going to go with BCAA but your price is really good.

BelairDirect.
BCAA was actually slightly cheaper, until the Belair agent and I went through the list of schools that they offer discounts for alumni; after that discount was applied, Belair became the cheapest option.

Last edited:
Private insurer I went with was significantly lower than ICBC.
$2.8M (+$200k from ICBC), Deductibles are $300 Coll, $200 Comp., Full replacement value for 5yrs, and some other extras that I believe ICBC doesn't even offer. Only $1079!

Add ICBC's 1175 Base = $2,254 - Almost $1,200 cheaper for similar coverage!

(Note, I also lucked out being Alumni of a specific school gave a small additional discount)

which insurance company are you using??

They are probably more alike than not ;)
I have personally only had to deal with home insurance once, and vehicle insurance twice (ICBC). I couldn't say either was good or bad. Just "typical" insurance companies, doing what they do best (keep their money).

Also, keep in mind - people who have good experiences rarely make the effort to post about them, so negative reviews will typically outweigh the positive ones.

They are probably more alike than not ;)

I deal with them on a daily basis for over 25 years. I've also acted for most major insurers in BC including ICBC. They are not more alike than not, at least in my experience. They vary significantly, especially within the claims departments. Underwriting I can see similarities but claims handling are another issue.

Also, keep in mind - people who have good experiences rarely make the effort to post about them, so negative reviews will typically outweigh the positive ones.

That's why I posted the two links above. Only 3 people posted about BCAA whereas over 200 posted about Belair. Just food for thought.

I have personally only had to deal with home insurance once, and vehicle insurance twice (ICBC). I couldn't say either was good or bad. Just "typical" insurance companies, doing what they do best (keep their money).

Perhaps but in my experience some insurers want to keep their money much more than others. Hence the Supreme Court of Canada setting out rules that give rise to bad faith and punitive damages against insurers and restoring the trial verdict of $1M in punitive damage against a small insurer. That sent some shock waves through the Canadian insurance industry since prior to the 2002 Whiten v. Pilot decision, the punitive damages awarded against insurers in Canada were nominal amounts (unlike our neighbours to the south) and the Ontario Court of Appeal had that same view -- which the Supreme Court of Canada did not share -- and thus they restored the trial court's jury verdict of $1M punitive. The unfortunate thing is you have to sue and go all the way to the Supreme Court of Canada to get it. It's very easy for an insurer to play games with an insured and the recourse for an insured, after a claim, are costly. So research before buying a policy is always more prudent than finding out after a claim. Saying they're all the same isn't really an answer when one insurer gets 200 reviews and another gets 3. I have to think with all those people taking time to post a bad review, perhaps there's something inherently wrong with their claims process? In any event, I wouldn't want to find out.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: thorn604 and Yooner
Spoke with my DA...again. They still don't know where my car is. Apparently they get notified when it reaches a location just south of the border (which it has not yet) and can't tell where the car is in between it leaving Fremont and arriving there. I was told it was just south of the border 5 days ago. Anyone know of any Bermuda Triangle type thing between here and Fremont?

• Funny
Reactions: Canuck
Is this for work >15km?
I was quoted a lot more by them and I’m at max icbc discount.
For what its worth I moved to Belairdirect (Or its predecessor) about 3 years ago Since they were so much cheaper then ICBC/BCAA I was initially concerned Have had one claim on the tesla and one claim on the volt Their service has been exceptional Would certainly recommend them

• Informative
Reactions: thorn604
I was scheduled for delivery today (06/06) but got notified last night at 9:50pm that the delivery is postponed (without a date given).
My account now says delivery for 06/09.

I asked my rep if this date is legit but she claimed unless a tesla rep reached out to me with the date, that is hypothetical at the moment.

Very disappointed. Cellphone technology should be able to resolve this whole "no one knows jack *sugar*" situation. I am skeptical.

Wonder if the truck and cars got damaged along the way. Anticipating a VIN change, but that would be worst case scenario. Hopefully not.

This is the ultimate test of patience.

I was scheduled for delivery today (06/06) but got notified last night at 9:50pm that the delivery is postponed (without a date given).
My account now says delivery for 06/09.

I asked my rep if this date is legit but she claimed unless a tesla rep reached out to me with the date, that is hypothetical at the moment.

Very disappointed. Cellphone technology should be able to resolve this whole "no one knows jack *sugar*" situation. I am skeptical.

Wonder if the truck and cars got damaged along the way. Anticipating a VIN change, but that would be worst case scenario. Hopefully not.

This is the ultimate test of patience.
It’s so much more frustrating than I thought it would be. I finally got a call this afternoon saying it had reached the checkpoint before the border (where I believe it changes trucks). Do yourself a favour and set your expectations low. Expect it’ll take another week and you’ll be in a much better place mentally!

Just tweeted Elon Musk. Hoping #wantmy3 starts to trend!

I spoke with a rep in Vancouver about scheduling (sounded busy in his background...suspect many on the phone fielding phone calls and working on scheduling deliveries). They do not know where our car is. Sounds like many show up on GPS from the truck. Ours does not. My guess is that Tesla doesn't have enough contracted semi truck drivers to haul the cars around, now that they have significantly increased their Model 3 production. I think that ours is still on the ground in Fremont, CA. The Vancouver delivery/release seems to correspond with Elon Musk's announcement of meeting their production goals. The production now shines a light on another production dilemma....the delivery.

I spoke with a rep in Vancouver about scheduling (sounded busy in his background...suspect many on the phone fielding phone calls and working on scheduling deliveries). They do not know where our car is. Sounds like many show up on GPS from the truck. Ours does not. My guess is that Tesla doesn't have enough contracted semi truck drivers to haul the cars around, now that they have significantly increased their Model 3 production. I think that ours is still on the ground in Fremont, CA. The Vancouver delivery/release seems to correspond with Elon Musk's announcement of meeting their production goals. The production now shines a light on another production dilemma....the delivery.

Not True according to the rep from Las vegas they only can schedule you for delivery when car reaches the regional hub which is most likely seattle .its just matter of transporting from seattle to Vancouver

Reactions: COLKEV
Not True according to the rep from Las vegas they only can schedule you for delivery when car reaches the regional hub which is most likely seattle .its just matter of transporting from seattle to Vancouver

That might be true, but when I spoke with our rep who was in Fremont a couple of weeks ago (when we learned we had a VIN), she said that our car was in Vancouver and that we would be ready for delivery starting June 4. In fact we were. When I spoke with the guy today, he did not know where our car was. Hence, my suspicion that (1) the left hand hasn't a clue what the right hand is doing and (2) our car is in Cali.

I like your info from the guy in Vegas much much better, however!

I deal with them on a daily basis for over 25 years. I've also acted for most major insurers in BC including ICBC. They are not more alike than not, at least in my experience. They vary significantly, especially within the claims departments. Underwriting I can see similarities but claims handling are another issue.

Good to know... thanks! As mentioned, I've dealt with them very little, so your input is probably much more valuable than mine.

That's why I posted the two links above. Only 3 people posted about BCAA whereas over 200 posted about Belair. Just food for thought.

Ahhh.... I did not see the second link... interesting! Now I am not so confident in my decision. Thanks! ;)

Perhaps but in my experience some insurers want to keep their money much more than others. Hence the Supreme Court of Canada setting out rules that give rise to bad faith and punitive damages against insurers and restoring the trial verdict of $1M in punitive damage against a small insurer. That sent some shock waves through the Canadian insurance industry since prior to the 2002 Whiten v. Pilot decision, the punitive damages awarded against insurers in Canada were nominal amounts (unlike our neighbours to the south) and the Ontario Court of Appeal had that same view -- which the Supreme Court of Canada did not share -- and thus they restored the trial court's jury verdict of $1M punitive. The unfortunate thing is you have to sue and go all the way to the Supreme Court of Canada to get it. It's very easy for an insurer to play games with an insured and the recourse for an insured, after a claim, are costly. So research before buying a policy is always more prudent than finding out after a claim. Saying they're all the same isn't really an answer when one insurer gets 200 reviews and another gets 3. I have to think with all those people taking time to post a bad review, perhaps there's something inherently wrong with their claims process? In any event, I wouldn't want to find out.

Let's hope we never have to find out!.... ;)

*Also, apologies to the OP - we kind of hijacked this thread!

Reactions: Canuck
Sorry for the late reply here ... been busy driving and tweeting :)
Delivery yesterday was fairly quick (under an hour) but we had a few minor hiccups ...
1) the back right rear panel was misaligned by about 1/4 inch ... fortunately they were able to "fix" on site in under 10 minutes
2) the final price on the purchase agreement was off by $750 (BRING YOUR CHEQUEBOOK) ... they were able to take personal cheque for the difference
3) 12 hours later the Telsa iPhone app stopped working ... apparently this is expected behaviour, but the delivery staff did not tell us about it ... I called in this morning at they said it can take up to 72 hours to resolve the issue ... about 8 hours later it was fixed. My wife had to use the credit card key this morning as was not impressed.
4) 18 Hours later after going into "screen cleaning mode" the display locked up and I was unable to do anything. Called it in and I was able to reboot the "display" by pressing in both buttons on the steering wheel for 5 seconds or so. Apparently they have never seen this "issue" before, but they said it was safe to reboot the display like this even when driving although it's not recommended since you can't see your speed or change wiper settings etc while its rebooting.

All in all I'm very happy with the car and the staff were all very friendly and helpfully despite the issues I had.

IMG_3330.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3324.JPG
    IMG_3324.JPG
    333 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Reactions: Padfutonian