Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vancouver Charging Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove to Vancouver from Calgary about four times last year with my 85S. Did my first Model 3 drive two weeks ago (aero covers on). Used 40 kWh less than the S. Used 164 kWh for the return leg to Calgary and spent 1:45 total time charging.
I don't have a place to level one charge over night so I have to use public chargers. I think you should be fine if you can slow charge. It's been amazing to watch how many Level 2 and 3 chargers have been installed in Vancouver over the years. But they can be very busy. I had to wait on occasion for the HPWC to free up at Oakridge Mall. I had to use the Flow and ChargePoint apps a few times. Life would be much easier if Tesla would let me use my CHAdeMO adaptor with the 3.
On the way back to Calgary I only charged to 67% at Hope. Didn't mean to charge that much but the coffee stop took a bit longer than I wanted. Fully intended to stop at Merritt. But as we approached Merritt the trip planner said we could make it to Kamloops so I kept going.
Arrived in Kamloops with 12%. I sure couldn't do that with the S. I kept a spreadsheet of my charging stop data. If you are interested I could send it to you.
Unfortunately most of the higher elevation parts of the highway have no lane markings visible so couldn't use Autopilot on some sections.

We also did a trip down to Seattle. On the way from Seattle to Vancouver only used 33 kWh, 145 Wh/km for the 231 km leg. I was impressed with how polite the Washington drivers were compared to Vancouver or Calgary drivers.

I'd love to see that data. My wife still doesn't trust the EV, and has range anxiety. LOL

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
I'm not sure. My son is at UBC and we're going to be moving him out, so from Boundary Rd to UBC a couple times a day I figure.

So leaving the Surrey Supercharger with 90% charge, in traffic, in the rain (worst case scenario):
1st, going back to Burnaby
2nd, going to UBC
3rd, going back to Burnaby
4th, going back to UBC
5th, going back to Burnaby, you will end up with around 60% charge.

• Helpful
Reactions: GlenM
Which building is that in? Is it paid parking or can you just stop for a quick 15 min top up?

Paul is suggesting to just stay in your car and not leave while Supercharging at the 200 Burrard street location. People have been ticketed for not paying for parking. There is no gate at this location, so people can freely go in and out. I’ve topped up at this location and sat in my car for 10 mins for a quick charge, but have paid for parking in the past as well if I was leaving the parkade. There are parking enforcement officers that I’ve seen walk around and ticket people.

I'm not sure. My son is at UBC and we're going to be moving him out, so from Boundary Rd to UBC a couple times a day I figure.
FYI there's two ChargePoint L2 chargers in Pacific Spirit Park very close to UBC. Free charging, 2 hr max. see plugshare entry. Just a thought if your out at UBC and need a top up

Also lots of the UBC parkades have L2 chargers, but pay parking.

Reactions: GlenM
Paul is suggesting to just stay in your car and not leave while Supercharging at the 200 Burrard street location. People have been ticketed for not paying for parking. There is no gate at this location, so people can freely go in and out. I’ve topped up at this location and sat in my car for 10 mins for a quick charge, but have paid for parking in the past as well if I was leaving the parkade. There are parking enforcement officers that I’ve seen walk around and ticket people.

Sometimes they still ticket you if you're inside the car. Instead of putting the ticket on your wind shield, you'll get it in mail.

Sometimes they still ticket you if you're inside the car. Instead of putting the ticket on your wind shield, you'll get it in mail.
I don't know about Impark and enforcement at the 200 Burrard Supercharger lot, but note that some parking companies use cameras and licence plate recognition technology at gateless parking lots. (OT one lot in town that I know for sure uses LPR is at the train station at Main & Terminal)

I notice that booking.com has an option to pick EV charging for searching hotels. Linking Tesla destination charger addresses to hotels is a bit of a hassle. Would it not be better if all hotel search engines have that option of Destination charging facility?