Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vancouver Delivery; the dark and dirty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few photos of “Not so dark and dirty” after a first wash. It’s not all doom and gloom. Just hoping for a quick fix to the short-comings.

On a side note, I picked up The Law license plate bracket from Torklift and it’s a bitch to install. I had to thread the screws a bunch a times into the holes to remove powder coating stuck inside the threads...I guess it’s not just Tesla overspraying paint

Beautiful car! Love the colour and white interior. The OCD in me wants to pull of your Center caps and reinstall them with the tip of the T pointed at the valve stem

• Funny
Reactions: pcons
I was lucky that my paint was basically perfect. However if it hadn’t have been and required correction without any repaint the last place I would take it is back to Tesla and whoever they alone choose to sub it out to. I realize it would be ‘free’ at Tesla but I’d rather pay the highly skilled and experienced detailer I use who runs his own shop. He’s a known quantity, a true pro and his work is worth it to me. He polished mine, did the Clearguard Nano SR PPF and Feynlab Ceramic. Super easy to maintain now.
I go so far as ask Tesla not to wash, polish or detail my car in any way after service.

Who’s your detailer?

I got a chance to wash my car this afternoon when it stopped raining and found a few more defects in the paint. A couple of paint blotches and a small scatch on the hood and front bumper. Whoever prepped the cars after unloading needs a bottle of Goo Gone, glass cleaner, and rubbing alcohol. I found lots of adhesive left on the paint and windows. The adhesive was easy to remove from the windows but I hate to rub and put swirls in the paint.

It looks like someone had a buffer and cut polish to try and get some of the defects out of the paint, but all they did was put some circular swirls and left a bunch of white residue from the polishing compound.

I’ve already took pictures and emailed the service center, so I’ll wait for a response now and see how long it takes to get in with all these deliveries and problems going on.

As mentioned before, I had paint problems as well, and it didn’t go well with my OCD. Tesla will just refer you to No 1 Collision to have them correct or repaint any panels. I’m booked for early October. They need to respray my rear bumper due to a scratch and 3 other defects. 4 problems on just one panel!

Other panels only had some tiny clear coat bumps. I think those can be sanded down.

I also had a chance to wash and detail my entire car yesterday, and it was in a much better condition afterward. I had similar issues with paint and overall condition as previously mentioned in this thread by other users.

I managed to speak to a mobile service tech and he put a lot of my concerns at ease regarding having any issues sorted out. They’re great! He mentioned something they don’t tell you during delivery (and like most traditional manufacturers): you technically have 7 days after delivery to fully inspect and report any issues, though as previously mentioned in this thread, they’ll fix things much longer afterward.

My list has been started! I received my Tesla delivery survey last night, I’ll be sure to take my time filling that out.

Love my car.

If you went to any other dealership today after 6pm, you would have found yourself buying a vehicle in the rain too. Not sure what you were expecting?

Think it’s your fault for accepting the pick up so late

This kind of comment is why views on Tesla are so polarized. OP makes a completely reasonable statement about a poor delivery experience, and you jump on him. I really don't understand why so many are unable to comprehend that it's possible to love Tesla's cars but be critical of the many areas in which they're failing their customers. If you'd prefer that Tesla not make improvements and see buyers gravitate to the E-Tron and other upcoming EVs, then you're on the right track.

Leaving aside that he wasn't picking it up in the evening in the first place, I've picked up several BMWs and other new cars in the evening. They were ready in an indoor, well-lit delivery area, designed to ensure that it was easy to inspect the vehicle. Similarly, a new vehicle should always be spotlessly clean when the customer takes delivery, whether it's $30k or $150k. I would have been rightly massively annoyed to pick up a dirty car in an environment in which I couldn't properly identify any flaws, especially if I subsequently discovered a paint flaw such as the OP's.

Picked up my Model 3 today; not a fan of the Powell St Pickup as location since they are unable to give you a great inspection experience; cars are wet from the rain and it's difficult to see anything when it's overcast or if the vehicles are under a tent, even at 10 AM.

My Model 3 looks good, no noticeable defects so far, but I didn't clean it up and go over it anymore than the 20 minutes I inspected it before I left and the few times I have it a walk around after my mini-roadtrip to Whistler and bsck.

As far as cleanliness, my Model 3 was good for the most part, the only places with dirt was in the panel gaps, dust on the dashboard and the windshield was showing some faint marks from the suction cups and some other objects that were on it.

I'm going to give it a waterless wash in the next day or two and see what it looks like after. Tech told me someone wwill follow up with me and I can let them know if I find anything wrong.

Last edited:
As mentioned before, I had paint problems as well, and it didn’t go well with my OCD. Tesla will just refer you to No 1 Collision to have them correct or repaint any panels. I’m booked for early October. They need to respray my rear bumper due to a scratch and 3 other defects. 4 problems on just one panel!

Other panels only had some tiny clear coat bumps. I think those can be sanded down.

How bad were the scratches? Deep into the clear coat or past that?

I noticed quite a lot of swirl and light scratch marks on mine and noticed one deep scratch will is going to be fixed in October. I'm wondering if they can do anything about the swirl marks.. doesn't look like they detailed the car before it was delivered.

How bad were the scratches? Deep into the clear coat or past that?

I noticed quite a lot of swirl and light scratch marks on mine and noticed one deep scratch will is going to be fixed in October. I'm wondering if they can do anything about the swirl marks.. doesn't look like they detailed the car before it was delivered.

Mine is a super tiny scratch, but the weird thing is that it seems to be under the clear coat. My biggest problem is dust nibs all over the car. They are very hard to see, but with some reflection, you can see the clear coat has bumps. Impossible to see during delivery.

Swirl marks are easy to remove. The problem is that the kid who washed the car prior to delivery didn’t use the proper technique and created swirls.

Reactions: Rev-777
A few photos of “Not so dark and dirty” after a first wash. It’s not all doom and gloom. Just hoping for a quick fix to the short-comings.

On a side note, I picked up The Law license plate bracket from Torklift and it’s a bitch to install. I had to thread the screws a bunch a times into the holes to remove powder coating stuck inside the threads...I guess it’s not just Tesla overspraying paint
Beautiful home, beautiful car. Congrats sir, you won life

This kind of comment is why views on Tesla are so polarized. OP makes a completely reasonable statement about a poor delivery experience, and you jump on him. I really don't understand why so many are unable to comprehend that it's possible to love Tesla's cars but be critical of the many areas in which they're failing their customers. If you'd prefer that Tesla not make improvements and see buyers gravitate to the E-Tron and other upcoming EVs, then you're on the right track.

Leaving aside that he wasn't picking it up in the evening in the first place, I've picked up several BMWs and other new cars in the evening. They were ready in an indoor, well-lit delivery area, designed to ensure that it was easy to inspect the vehicle. Similarly, a new vehicle should always be spotlessly clean when the customer takes delivery, whether it's $30k or $150k. I would have been rightly massively annoyed to pick up a dirty car in an environment in which I couldn't properly identify any flaws, especially if I subsequently discovered a paint flaw such as the OP's.

I think it’s about what I consider unfair expectations. Demanding a level of service no other auto dealer has been required to provide.

As I mentioned, go to any dealership. You’ll see 100’s of cars that have been sitting in the elements for weeks or months on end being periodically cleaned by a 16 year old boy with a gardenhose and rag. No car buyer ever cared before but now people are demanding their Tesla’s be picked up inside the showroom... nevermind each service center is delivering 50 to 100 cars per day and it would be impossible

Reactions: 23.skidoo
I think it’s about what I consider unfair expectations. Demanding a level of service no other auto dealer has been required to provide.

As I mentioned, go to any dealership. You’ll see 100’s of cars that have been sitting in the elements for weeks or months on end being periodically cleaned by a 16 year old boy with a gardenhose and rag. No car buyer ever cared before but now people are demanding their Tesla’s be picked up inside the showroom... nevermind each service center is delivering 50 to 100 cars per day and it would be impossible

I've bought many new cars, ranging in price from a $20k VW to a $95k Volvo, and my almost new $120k Model S. All of the new vehicles were immaculately clean and well presented. Yes, dealers have cars sitting on lots or storage yards for weeks or months, but they clean and detail them prior to delivery, and the manufacturers obsessively survey their customers after delivery to see if they were satisfied. This is doubly true of $80k cars, to the extent that a franchise dealer for a premium brand would probably lose its franchise if it repeatedly delivered dirty and scratched cars and risked customer rejection / complaints to the manufacturer. This is the normal, well-established way that new car sales work, and it's what buyers rightly expect.

I'm just bewildered by the statement that no car buyer ever cared before, as if Model 3 recipients should be so grateful that they are getting a car at all. The OP isn't complaining that his car was left somewhere exposed to the elements before he picked it up; he's saying it wasn't properly cleaned and prepared for delivery. The solution isn't for customers to adjust their expectations downwards but rather for Tesla to find a way to scale its delivery process properly, for the good of Tesla as much as for the customer. The last thing they want to do is send cars out that aren't properly prepped and then incur the greater cost of remedying this after the fact.

I've bought many new cars, ranging in price from a $20k VW to a $95k Volvo, and my almost new $120k Model S. All of the new vehicles were immaculately clean and well presented. Yes, dealers have cars sitting on lots or storage yards for weeks or months, but they clean and detail them prior to delivery, and the manufacturers obsessively survey their customers after delivery to see if they were satisfied. This is doubly true of $80k cars, to the extent that a franchise dealer for a premium brand would probably lose its franchise if it repeatedly delivered dirty and scratched cars and risked customer rejection / complaints to the manufacturer. This is the normal, well-established way that new car sales work, and it's what buyers rightly expect.

I'm just bewildered by the statement that no car buyer ever cared before, as if Model 3 recipients should be so grateful that they are getting a car at all. The OP isn't complaining that his car was left somewhere exposed to the elements before he picked it up; he's saying it wasn't properly cleaned and prepared for delivery. The solution isn't for customers to adjust their expectations downwards but rather for Tesla to find a way to scale its delivery process properly, for the good of Tesla as much as for the customer. The last thing they want to do is send cars out that aren't properly prepped and then incur the greater cost of remedying this after the fact.

Precisely.

Well said.

shhh...the Tesla cult cant handle/accept anything regarding Tesla poor quality control and poor customer service

Hello, new member here. I will be taking delivery of an M3 in Vancouver in a few weeks, my first Tesla. Reading the comments here makes me wonder if anyone has written up a checklist of flaws to look for on delivery because I'm pretty green at this. I will be coming from the island, should I expect that mobile repair will come to Victoria to do any fixes or would I have to leave it in Vancouver and come back on the ferry again another day?

You get a very skewed sample size on the internet. Give the car a quick once over and be on your way. I noticed a scratch on the chrome window trim a few days latter when I was washing it and Tesla replaced it no questions asked no hassle at all. They sent a ranger to my work I literally had to do nothing other than hand the guy the key card in the parking lot. I have a front wrap on mine and the wrapper pointed out a few minor issues in the paint right in the edges of a couple of panels. You literally have to be have your face a few inches away to see them. I would have never noticed them, if you see something that bothers you I am sure Tesla will sort you out. No way I was going to deal with a repaint over something no one will ever see. Somethings are just not worth your time and energy. Just keep in mind the internet gives voice to the very vocal minority.

Hello, new member here. I will be taking delivery of an M3 in Vancouver in a few weeks, my first Tesla. Reading the comments here makes me wonder if anyone has written up a checklist of flaws to look for on delivery because I'm pretty green at this. I will be coming from the island, should I expect that mobile repair will come to Victoria to do any fixes or would I have to leave it in Vancouver and come back on the ferry again another day?

Not sure if the ranger is active in Victoria yet but someone else could confirm. Since you're on the island it just might take longer to rectify any issues.
As per Darscot they will address any issues you might have after delivery, and I experienced this as well, it just took time to get the part (RV mirror).
Here is a quick checklist I found through Google that might help Tesla Model 3 Interactive Delivery Checklist - Pure Tesla

Enjoy your new car.