Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vancouver Delivery; the dark and dirty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MVPA was available 24 hrs prior to my delivery, which was 10 am this yesterday in Vancouver. The very first thing I looked at and caught the-day-before yesterday was the trade-in value of zero (I was trading in my $35k car), but that number was showing in the downpayment. I immediate emailed the IDA stating it was incorrect. It’s about a $5000 difference in tax going to the BC government instead Tesla. Tesla needs that money nearing the end of the quarter, the BC gov does not. At all.

IDA: Complete radio silence. I had to call the Service Centre in Vancouver to confirm the car was there before making the trip (a 1:35 ferry boat ride and 1 hr drive in traffic). Vancouver’s people are fantastic and if all Tesla employees are this good, they’ll do fantastic once they get through the delivery pain. They confirmed the car was there and verified that “no news is good news” regarding canceling my delivery for today. I didn’t hear from them, so I went to my delivery. Talk about stressful.

They went through a 10-15 minute group overview of the car/charging etc. I had read the manual front to back 4-5 times, so this was a little wasted on me. I kept an open mind, I’m always looking for little nuggets of info.

My DA, Oscar, opened my black embossed Tesla folder with my MVPA and started his speech. I stopped him and showed the error. “Uh oh”. Things came off the rails from here. They sent me across the street with a voucher for a delicious sandwich and latte. This was a great touch while the local Tesla folks attempted pick up the pieces left over from the incommunicado IDA.

Here’s the real reason for this post: The delivery as a total experience was unfortunately awful.

Delivery was in a dark tent in the pouring rain, making it very difficult [read: impossible] to inspect the car. The exterior & interior were dirty, with black rubbery-looking dust on the dashboard, dirty door jams from feet, door cards, carpets etc. They did a 5 minute wipe down of the exterior prior to delivery. It looked like a 5 minute job.

I finally got the car out in to some sort of light in the pouring Vancouver rain and did a 3 minute walk around. Noticed a very small piece of flashing on a tail light, they had the detail/service shop fix it in <10 minutes.

Nothing stopped me from accepting delivery. Gaps, paint, glass: all good.

I love Tesla, the cars, and what they stand for; “the mission”, as it’s put. For $88,000+ CAD though, the dark tent delivery in the pouring rain is not acceptable. While they can’t control the weather, they have full control over the rest of the operation. Today, I found a paint anomaly on the trunk lid, which essentially looks like a paint chip, but has been clear coated. How was I suppose to see that in the conditions I was provided?

Realistically 6-8 hours of washing/cleaning/vacuuming will be needed to properly prep the car to where I’d be satisfied. Then I can go through it with a fine tooth comb and make my first mobile service appointment. I suspect the paint chip will need further work.

Again, the staff were fantastic. Very accommodating and personable. Oscar, Tammy - great job all! Try and keep that consistency moving forward!

AWD is an absolute rocket ship and I love the car. But the experience thus far has been lacking.

My MVPA was available 24 hrs prior to my delivery, which was 10 am this yesterday in Vancouver. The very first thing I looked at and caught the-day-before yesterday was the trade-in value of zero (I was trading in my $35k car), but that number was showing in the downpayment. I immediate emailed the IDA stating it was incorrect. It’s about a $5000 difference in tax going to the BC government instead Tesla. Tesla needs that money nearing the end of the quarter, the BC gov does not. At all.

IDA: Complete radio silence. I had to call the Service Centre in Vancouver to confirm the car was there before making the trip (a 1:35 ferry boat ride and 1 hr drive in traffic). Vancouver’s people are fantastic and if all Tesla employees are this good, they’ll do fantastic once they get through the delivery pain. They confirmed the car was there and verified that “no news is good news” regarding canceling my delivery for today. I didn’t hear from them, so I went to my delivery. Talk about stressful.

They went through a 10-15 minute group overview of the car/charging etc. I had read the manual front to back 4-5 times, so this was a little wasted on me. I kept an open mind, I’m always looking for little nuggets of info.

My DA, Oscar, opened my black embossed Tesla folder with my MVPA and started his speech. I stopped him and showed the error. “Uh oh”. Things came off the rails from here. They sent me across the street with a voucher for a delicious sandwich and latte. This was a great touch while the local Tesla folks attempted pick up the pieces left over from the incommunicado IDA.

Here’s the real reason for this post: The delivery as a total experience was unfortunately awful.

Delivery was in a dark tent in the pouring rain, making it very difficult [read: impossible] to inspect the car. The exterior & interior were dirty, with black rubbery-looking dust on the dashboard, dirty door jams from feet, door cards, carpets etc. They did a 5 minute wipe down of the exterior prior to delivery. It looked like a 5 minute job.

I finally got the car out in to some sort of light in the pouring Vancouver rain and did a 3 minute walk around. Noticed a very small piece of flashing on a tail light, they had the detail/service shop fix it in <10 minutes.

Nothing stopped me from accepting delivery. Gaps, paint, glass: all good.

I love Tesla, the cars, and what they stand for; “the mission”, as it’s put. For $88,000+ CAD though, the dark tent delivery in the pouring rain is not acceptable. While they can’t control the weather, they have full control over the rest of the operation. Today, I found a paint anomaly on the trunk lid, which essentially looks like a paint chip, but has been clear coated. How was I suppose to see that in the conditions I was provided?

Realistically 6-8 hours of washing/cleaning/vacuuming will be needed to properly prep the car to where I’d be satisfied. Then I can go through it with a fine tooth comb and make my first mobile service appointment. I suspect the paint chip will need further work.

Again, the staff were fantastic. Very accommodating and personable. Oscar, Tammy - great job all! Try and keep that consistency moving forward!

AWD is an absolute rocket ship and I love the car. But the experience thus far has been lacking.

I have to kind of agree the place we picked up the car is a little ghetto, I mean it’s just a outdoor parking lot with very little lighting.

How did you request for a mobile service team on bumper issue?

If you went to any other dealership today after 6pm, you would have found yourself buying a vehicle in the rain too. Not sure what you were expecting?

Think it’s your fault for accepting the pick up so late

I absolutely don’t think it is his fault, and I agree with his post. Delivery location is definitely ghetto, and they should do it in a covered space. I’ve never picked up a new car in the pouring rain, let alone in the dark. I also found paint issues with my car, so Tesla will have to repaint one or two panels.

This needs to change.

I absolutely don’t think it is his fault, and I agree with his post. Delivery location is definitely ghetto, and they should do it in a covered space. I’ve never picked up a new car in the pouring rain, let alone in the dark. I also found paint issues with my car, so Tesla will have to repaint one or two panels.

This needs to change.
Guy choses to pick up at night. Blames Tesla for being dark

I picked up my 3 in the afternoon and I completely agree with poor setup for delivery. In short, it was a complete gong show. They should have forked over the money and rented the PNE forum instead of driving cars to Powell location. Felt sorry for one customer who had a curb rash on one front rim and a flat rear tire due to a screw in another wheel. This would not have happened if they stayed at the PNE forum.

The cars were dirty (inside and out) from the short drive and with the rain you couldn’t tell if there are paint issues.

Delivery team was accommodating and did their best with the situation. My wife and kids just wanted to get home and the main things like panel gaps, alignment of doors, and damage to the 3 passed the checklist.

When the rain dried off in my garage at home, I did notice some rough spots from overspray on the driver side doors and chrome trim while I swapped out the stock LEDS to Abstract Ocean ones. I wish the paint was 100%, but it seems to be better than other forum members with bubbles in the paint. The main issue I have so far is a corner piece of tail light is chipped near the charge port and it’s sharp that I found when plugging in for the night.

Pics of the clearcoat overspray on the chrome trim (maybe a good motivator to blackout the chrome) and the chipped tail light corner.

By the way, I was surprised to be able to use my Model S Tesla/Weathertech mats in the driver side and passenger footwells...just had to make sure the accelerator doesn’t stick under the edge of the mat though as the S mats are about 4 to 6” too short. This is a temp solution until my 3D Maxpider mats arrive.

All this delivery mess was forgotten momentarily with the first surge of acceleration. Coming from a S90D, this P3D+ is definitely a fun smaller car to drive and I love the handling.

Attachments

• 43459974-0468-49FF-B694-C629EB196FD8.jpeg
    43459974-0468-49FF-B694-C629EB196FD8.jpeg
    364.8 KB · Views: 222
  • 0F83C5EE-BEB8-44FB-9D37-F5F480130527.jpeg
    0F83C5EE-BEB8-44FB-9D37-F5F480130527.jpeg
    334.6 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Reactions: Ormond and Rev-777
Sufficient Lighting should be provided
Not everyone can get to choose to pick up during the day, they are delivering 40-80 cars a day, some have to take delivery at night with no choice
Especially rebate can run out any moment, I wouldn’t wait and pick a day that’s sunny and take delivery

Completely agree again. Though he picked up during the day, pickup should be in a covered space so people don't need to do this in the pouring rain. And some people don't have the option of daytime pickup, so there should be sufficient lighting to keep the delivery environment consistent.

It's a rorschach test: people see the words "dark tent" and interpret that the way they want to.

I picked up my 3 in the afternoon and I completely agree with poor setup for delivery. In short, it was a complete gong show. They should have forked over the money and rented the PNE forum instead of driving cars to Powell location. Felt sorry for one customer who had a curb rash on one front rim and a flat rear tire due to a screw in another wheel. This would not have happened if they stayed at the PNE forum.

The cars were dirty (inside and out) from the short drive and with the rain you couldn’t tell if there are paint issues.

Delivery team was accommodating and did their best with the situation. My wife and kids just wanted to get home and the main things like panel gaps, alignment of doors, and damage to the 3 passed the checklist.

When the rain dried off in my garage at home, I did notice some rough spots from overspray on the driver side doors and chrome trim while I swapped out the stock LEDS to Abstract Ocean ones. I wish the paint was 100%, but it seems to be better than other forum members with bubbles in the paint. The main issue I have so far is a corner piece of tail light is chipped near the charge port and it’s sharp that I found when plugging in for the night.

Pics of the clearcoat overspray on the chrome trim (maybe a good motivator to blackout the chrome) and the chipped tail light corner.

By the way, I was surprised to be able to use my Model S Tesla/Weathertech mats in the driver side and passenger footwells...just had to make sure the accelerator doesn’t stick under the edge of the mat though as the S mats are about 4 to 6” too short. This is a temp solution until my 3D Maxpider mats arrive.

All this delivery mess was forgotten momentarily with the first surge of acceleration. Coming from a S90D, this P3D+ is definitely a fun smaller car to drive and I love the handling.

Funny thing was that I couldn't even see many of the paint problems until Ronnie looked at my car. I do feel disappointed in my paint issues, though most people wouldn't be able to see them. Funny thing is that I still have a hard time seeing them even after I know where they are. On my white paint, there are 3-4 black small dust particles trapped under the clear coat (looks like a dead pixel), tiny raised clear coat bubbles which get accentuated by the wrap, and one 3mm scratch on the bumper. My frunk was also extremely hard to close, but Service Centre did a simple 10 second adjustment to the bumper stops and it works perfectly now. Panel alignment is as good as it gets for a Model 3, but that's not saying much. Charge port door sticks out very slightly.

If you didn't get a chance to inspect your car before accepting it, you can do it when you get home. Spending all the time that you need and make a list of deficiencies then you call Tesla service centre to book an appointment and let they fix it. I found the service centre staffs are very nice and reasonable. I found a scratch on the side of my seat after 1 month and they replace the entire seat without any question. Then 2 months later I found out my spoiler is not perfect and they order a new one for me.

If you didn't get a chance to inspect your car before accepting it, you can do it when you get home. Spending all the time that you need and make a list of deficiencies then you call Tesla service centre to book an appointment and let they fix it. I found the service centre staffs are very nice and reasonable. I found a scratch on the side of my seat after 1 month and they replace the entire seat without any question. Then 2 months later I found out my spoiler is not perfect and they order a new one for me.

That’s very true. Same experience here

Funny thing was that I couldn't even see many of the paint problems until Ronnie looked at my car. I do feel disappointed in my paint issues, though most people wouldn't be able to see them. Funny thing is that I still have a hard time seeing them even after I know where they are. On my white paint, there are 3-4 black small dust particles trapped under the clear coat (looks like a dead pixel), tiny raised clear coat bubbles which get accentuated by the wrap, and one 3mm scratch on the bumper. My frunk was also extremely hard to close, but Service Centre did a simple 10 second adjustment to the bumper stops and it works perfectly now. Panel alignment is as good as it gets for a Model 3, but that's not saying much. Charge port door sticks out very slightly.

I got a chance to wash my car this afternoon when it stopped raining and found a few more defects in the paint. A couple of paint blotches and a small scatch on the hood and front bumper. Whoever prepped the cars after unloading needs a bottle of Goo Gone, glass cleaner, and rubbing alcohol. I found lots of adhesive left on the paint and windows. The adhesive was easy to remove from the windows but I hate to rub and put swirls in the paint.

It looks like someone had a buffer and cut polish to try and get some of the defects out of the paint, but all they did was put some circular swirls and left a bunch of white residue from the polishing compound.

I’ve already took pictures and emailed the service center, so I’ll wait for a response now and see how long it takes to get in with all these deliveries and problems going on.

Attachments

• AF879E8D-EE49-4E81-8B4D-8033742710A3.jpeg
    AF879E8D-EE49-4E81-8B4D-8033742710A3.jpeg
    245.6 KB · Views: 204
  • D8DCA459-57C0-4847-8466-689303FCFBED.jpeg
    D8DCA459-57C0-4847-8466-689303FCFBED.jpeg
    209.1 KB · Views: 204
A few photos of “Not so dark and dirty” after a first wash. It’s not all doom and gloom. Just hoping for a quick fix to the short-comings.

On a side note, I picked up The Law license plate bracket from Torklift and it’s a bitch to install. I had to thread the screws a bunch a times into the holes to remove powder coating stuck inside the threads...I guess it’s not just Tesla overspraying paint

Attachments

• 5629BA1A-E43F-4C35-9B7B-562F8461F52D.jpeg
    5629BA1A-E43F-4C35-9B7B-562F8461F52D.jpeg
    682 KB · Views: 189
  • 64AA74FB-DA0D-407C-B36E-D65167520A53.jpeg
    64AA74FB-DA0D-407C-B36E-D65167520A53.jpeg
    730.9 KB · Views: 194
  • 5426A8B2-965E-4C21-BE54-5B75E4C93B18.jpeg
    5426A8B2-965E-4C21-BE54-5B75E4C93B18.jpeg
    682.8 KB · Views: 201
  • 13E7F00C-BFC1-4E0C-A79A-9ACD48C300C2.jpeg
    13E7F00C-BFC1-4E0C-A79A-9ACD48C300C2.jpeg
    722 KB · Views: 191
I was lucky that my paint was basically perfect. However if it hadn’t have been and required correction without any repaint the last place I would take it is back to Tesla and whoever they alone choose to sub it out to. I realize it would be ‘free’ at Tesla but I’d rather pay the highly skilled and experienced detailer I use who runs his own shop. He’s a known quantity, a true pro and his work is worth it to me. He polished mine, did the Clearguard Nano SR PPF and Feynlab Ceramic. Super easy to maintain now.
I go so far as ask Tesla not to wash, polish or detail my car in any way after service.

Last edited: