Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vancouver SR+ Winter Tire’s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i live in Vancouver and have a SR+ and considering I should get winter tires to replace the stock primacy tires. I’ve always had all season tires on my previous FWD Gti and didn’t have many issues. I only drive around town (Vancouver proper). Will I be able to get by with the stock tires or should I purchase winter tires and if so, any recommendations on the tires and where I could buy them?

Thanks

I guess it will depend upon type of Vancouver winter. :p I decided to get set of winter tires on separate rims, as I can change them out myself. Also, I will be keeping the car long period of time, so it made sense to get them. I got Continental WinterContact Si from OK tires.

Better safe than sorry because if you get into an accident with a Model 3, you’ll be without your car for weeks to months with bodyshop lead times. If you have the funds, get a set of winter tires and rims from Tesla or if you want to get aftermarket rims there are plenty of vendors on TMC from Tsportline, Get Your Wheels, Signature Wheel or local Vancouver vendor like 1010tires.

With the new ICBC rates and rules in effect as of Sept 1st, by avoiding one accident with proper tires will pay for the wheels/tires and especially the headaches for repairs. I’m a bit biased though, since I have multiple sets of wheels/tires for all my vehicles.

My go to place for Nokian winter tires is Kal Tire in Abbotsford. Got all my winter tires for my previous two Model S’s and my current Model X and 3 from them without many hiccups. Most reputable Vancouver shops should have experience with Teslas by now like Kal Tire, Volco/1010 Tires, and OK Tires...just ask if they have sold and installed any Model 3 wheels/tires and if they know how to jack the car properly.

Last edited:
Better safe than sorry because if you get into an accident with a Model 3, you’ll be without your car for weeks to months with bodyshop lead times. If you have the funds, get a set of winter tires and rims from Tesla or if you want to get aftermarket rims there are plenty of vendors on TMC from Tsportline, Get Your Wheels, Signature Wheel or local Vancouver vendor like 1010tires.

With the new ICBC rates and rules in effect as of Sept 1st, by avoiding one accident with proper tires will pay for the wheels/tires and especially the headaches for repairs. I’m a bit biased though, since I have multiple sets of wheels/tires for all my vehicles.

My go to place for Nokian winter tires is Kal Tire in Abbotsford. Got all my winter tires for my previous two Model S’s and my current Model X and 3 from them without many hiccups. Most reputable Vancouver shops should have experience with Teslas by now like Kal Tire, Volco/1010 Tires, and OK Tires...just ask if they have sold and installed any Model 3 wheels/tires and if they know how to jack the car properly.

Thanks for the tips. I’ll look into those stores and see what winter tires they have. Never heard of Nokian but that’s the 2nd time they’ve been mentioned. I’ve always bought Michelin on my last car. I guess winter tires will be just as good as all seasons in the rain right?

Does anyone know what the delivery time is like at the Vancouver service centre? I see we can’t order well in advance as they won’t hold the wheels and tires.

I live on Vancouver Island and get to Vancouver about once per month. I will be there December 5 & 6. I wonder whether I could coordinate that.

Does anyone know what the delivery time is like at the Vancouver service centre? I see we can’t order well in advance as they won’t hold the wheels and tires.

I live on Vancouver Island and get to Vancouver about once per month. I will be there December 5 & 6. I wonder whether I could coordinate that.

If it's anything like last year, you pretty much gotta order now if you want to make it here by December. I don't know if it's that bad this year, but once a winter storm hits anywhere in Canada, you can guarantee those winter wheel sets will be in extreme back order. I would just call the service centre to see if they have any in stock.

I plan to stay with the factory tires all year with my new SR+. I've done this for the past 10 years with an Acura TL-S.
I just won't drive the M3 if we get 4+ inches. (OK I'll probably try drifting but that's it)

I plan to stay with the factory tires all year with my new SR+. I've done this for the past 10 years with an Acura TL-S.
I just won't drive the M3 if we get 4+ inches. (OK I'll probably try drifting but that's it)
My concern is that the sr+ is rear wheel drive and that’s not great in winter. I priced out Michelin xice at Costco and it was a good deal. $1350 after taxes and all. Gonna buy them in mid October. Now I gotta find rims to put summer tires on.

Reactions: fidodido
My concern is that the sr+ is rear wheel drive and that’s not great in winter. I priced out Michelin xice at Costco and it was a good deal. $1350 after taxes and all. Gonna buy them in mid October. Now I gotta find rims to put summer tires on.

Are they willing to put it on your M3? I'm looking at the Xice too since its on sale at Costco with $100 cash card

I installed a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV yesterday. 235/50R18, so a touch higher aspect ratio than stock. They look amazing, and correct the speedo so it's exact! The cm or so of extra height is also greatly appreciated. For locals, I can tell you it sounds like I'm driving in the Skytrain, with that chunky winter tread.

HP.JPG

If I were a one tire guy and didn’t leave Vancouver much I would use up the stock tires driving them year round and then depending on how the winters went I would consider whether to switch to Nokian wrg4.

In the winter with the stock tires there will be some days when you shouldn’t be driving in the city or you will get stuck/cause an accident. But they will probably be just 3-8 days overall. The rest of the days when it’s cold and wet you will probably be fine, but you’ll always be at higher risk of an accident with stock tires in the winter.

I ended up getting a set of WinterContact Si's earlier this year after the February snowfall. the stock tires weren't great in that snowstorm despite the snowflake rating - I slid down the incline near Vancouver City Hall just pulling away slowly from the 4-way stop on 10th and Yukon. The winters make a big difference and worth it in my opinion.

Also note that the deceleration from regen-braking is a bit of a different experience compared to ICE cars that can coast - in a snowy environment I find the regen a bit aggressive.

• Informative
I ended up getting a set of WinterContact Si's earlier this year after the February snowfall. the stock tires weren't great in that snowstorm despite the snowflake rating - I slid down the incline near Vancouver City Hall just pulling away slowly from the 4-way stop on 10th and Yukon. The winters make a big difference and worth it in my opinion.

Also note that the deceleration from regen-braking is a bit of a different experience compared to ICE cars that can coast - in a snowy environment I find the regen a bit aggressive.

This is the first time for me having dedicated winter tyres in Vancouver. Can't wait for some crappy weather to test them.
Took advice from uncle Bjorn as to the tyre type.

If it's anything like last year, you pretty much gotta order now if you want to make it here by December. I don't know if it's that bad this year, but once a winter storm hits anywhere in Canada, you can guarantee those winter wheel sets will be in extreme back order. I would just call the service centre to see if they have any in stock.
I contacted Tesla. The guy said the wait would would be several weeks. I live on Vancouver Island and they don’t do installation here. (Pretty sad as Vancouver Island seems to be pretty strong on BEVs.)

I’ll be in Vancouver for Thanksgiving, then again at the beginning of December. He said if I ordered by mid-October I “should” be able to have them installed at the beginning of December.

“Should” sounded a bit risky to me, so I’ve ordered them now and they will hold them until my December time in GVA.

I contacted Tesla. The guy said the wait would would be several weeks. I live on Vancouver Island and they don’t do installation here. (Pretty sad as Vancouver Island seems to be pretty strong on BEVs.)

I’ll be in Vancouver for Thanksgiving, then again at the beginning of December. He said if I ordered by mid-October I “should” be able to have them installed at the beginning of December.

“Should” sounded a bit risky to me, so I’ve ordered them now and they will hold them until my December time in GVA.
I ordered my set from tesla sept 21. Will keep you posted on the wait time when they arrive.. they didn’t give me a time estimate and I didn’t ask cause I don’t really care as long as it’s not late December! I figure I must have beat the rush? Will see..

Set regen to Chill for winter - the cold battery limits the rate already. Setting it to Chill is a just in case the battery is warm and hard regen causes a skid.

Set regen to Chill for winter - the cold battery limits the rate already. Setting it to Chill is a just in case the battery is warm and hard regen causes a skid.

That's what I ended up doing - acceleration to Chill, and Regen to Low :).

I hope the newer owners figure this out too (along with getting winter tires) if GVA gets snowfall this season - there are a lot of SR+ Model 3's on the road since this spring, but I fear many of them aren't used to driving a RWD EV in slippery conditions.