Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vancouver strata charger installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello fellow Coulomb powered riders.

I live in a strata building and looking to install either a NEMA 14-50 or a Tesla Wall Charger and so far the online research seems to cover the option of shared chargers in a strata type building.
Does anyone have experience with a private installation from your unit's electrical panel to your parking spot?
I'm going through the available online materials to understand the process of working with the strata to get their approval but was hoping if anyone with practical experience can share some dos and don'ts?
I'm also reaching out to electricians for feedback and pricing.
Did not get much by searching the forums here for Vancouver specific info but if I missed a thread please let me know!

Cheers!

As with any home charging solution, you need to make sure that the electric panel can support additional power usage. 14-50 will require 32amp power. If there is excess capacity available, it wouldn't cost too much to install a plug.

My strata installed 110v plug beside my stall and charging me flat $15/month & $150 one time installation fee. They're looking to upgrade to 14-50, but they need to get some electrical work done to add a capacity.

• Informative
Reactions: iMoe
Just a quick update to my fellow electron riders in Vancouver that might be interested.
I spoke to a few electricians to get an idea of what it takes to install a NEMA 14-50 plug from the building's electrical room to my parking spot since I figured it would be the least costly option and using the UMC. All in you're looking at north of $2,500 to $3,500 for a 50A system (the max for my needs but there are higher). A large chunk of these $ is taken by an Energy Management System (basically a panel) that balances the load from the feeder panel into the charging system (through a plug or a wall connector).
Also, I'm very close to the electrical room so depending on how far away you are the price will go up per distance of piping and wiring used.
If this fits your budget and the electrician is comfortable doing the work and submitting a project plan, ask your strata for permission to install at your own cost and show them the plan, and if they approve you should be set.
Good luck.

Strata building I'm in, I've noticed there are 120V outlets available every few parking spots. Unfortunately, I'm not near one of them. There have been enough free L2 EVSE's where I live where it works well enough for me. But having the knowledge either having a 120V outlet for L1 charging or even a NEMA 14-50 is possible is reassuring.

Thanks for the update!

My townhouse is fortunate enough to have the meters close to our parking stalls and the Strata Corp was into getting the multi-unit rebate from BC Hydro. Out of pocket it cost me $1,500 to put a hardwire charger in my stall. I think that's on the low end for strata properties.

I recently inquired about using a standard outlet in a common area and was told no as it violates the use of property. Was also told strata was looking into installing a charging station with unknown timing. The owners voted to install at the recent agm. This is my main obstacle in getting an EV for me.

It really depends on the building and where strata could install the chargers.

Most stratas don't want the additional hassle of billing owners for use of the chargers. One of the previous post someone said the strata is charging them a flat fee of $20. That seems low to me.

I was fortunate enough that our strata wanted to do this. It adds value to the building and it was done in a way that the owners who wanted it go their own chargers that is directly hooked up to their BC Hydro meter. $1,500 cost to me ($900 for charger).

Strata building I'm in, I've noticed there are 120V outlets available every few parking spots. Unfortunately, I'm not near one of them. There have been enough free L2 EVSE's where I live where it works well enough for me. But having the knowledge either having a 120V outlet for L1 charging or even a NEMA 14-50 is possible is reassuring.

Thanks for the update!

I recently inquired about using a standard outlet in a common area and was told no as it violates the use of property. Was also told strata was looking into installing a charging station with unknown timing. The owners voted to install at the recent agm. This is my main obstacle in getting an EV for me.

I initially inquired if our strata has plans to install charging stations but was told no.

Just a month ago our strata put out a notice saying that we could use the 120V outlets that are in a lot of the parking stalls to charge our EV's, but we'll just have to add $30/month to our strata fee, which is a pretty good deal depending on your usage.

My spot didn't have the electrical outlet so I just approached people that park in spots with the outlet and asked if they're willing to swap spots. Got some rejection but someone finally said okay since we're only 3 spots apart.

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Lots of variables to determine price including panel location, panel distance, necessity of drilling for conduit, panel capacity, city permits, etc. I hope current and future strata builds have 240 power at every parking spot with billing directly to each owner. Flat fees charged by strata are not ideal: if the user pays less than what it costs the strata corp, then other strata residents are subsidizing.

It’s $20 a month, but we’re going to monitor and see how much usage the outlet gets, it’s running off a meter. The install was easy, short cable needed, only a couple of meters, that’s why it wasn’t that expensive.